Old May 07, 2007, 09:39 PM
I'm not flying backwards!
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geff
Tony:

Very nice article. Thanks for your work. I have a friend who wants to start flying and this looks just right. (Plus I will build one for my back field)!

I've been building for a while but I have not run into your method of wing construction before. Please will you give me a few more details on the wing.

Thanks,

Geff
Geff, the wing is simply formed by rolling it over a kitchen counter and gluing and taping the two halves together. I'll be posting the wing forming pics tomorrow night.

Tony
Tony65x55 is offline Find More Posts by Tony65x55
Old May 07, 2007, 09:43 PM
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raythomas
So your saying if you build the 31in version that a sp280 DD with a 5x3 prop running on 2 lipo's would be enough to power it?
That would be with a 4gram micro esc, a 5gram micro rec, and 2-7gram servos.
Would this plane be slow enough to fly in a 50ft x 80ft indoor building with 20ft ceilings?
I'm with the others, I think a pictorial step by step build would be great.
Ray
Ray, it should fly. It won't be a powerhouse but it should fly. Pictorial has started.

Tony
Old May 07, 2007, 10:04 PM
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVU
I have looked at the plans an want to build this to teach a friend, but I'm getting lost in in the Acronyms.
What is "KFm Strip" on the plans?
What is a "KF Wing" as talked about in post #29?

P.S. Tony I'm finishing up the SE5a, you did a great job on the plans. You made it a fun fast build.

Thanks, Chad
Chad, to add to Warbirds comments. This plane does not use a KFm airfoil, it uses Gene Bond's superb 4-40 undercambered airfoil. 4% camber at 40% chord. The KFm stuff was added to the plans so if someone wished to utilize this type of wing, they could.

Thanks for the kudos on the SE5a, she's a nice bird.

Tony
Old May 07, 2007, 10:43 PM
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
OK here we go with the build. Tonight, we're going to build the fuselage. After cutting out the parts kit, the first job is to glue in the monobloc.

Pic 1. Start by coating one side of the monobloc lightly with glue and aligning with the first fuselage side. Make sure they align as this will determine how straight your build is. I use GWS glue for this as if used right, it sets up very quickly and is strong on foam. I don't use epoxy anymore. It's as heavy as lead, only glues what it touches and causes cancer. PU works as does hot melt glue although I don't recommend hot melt for this step. It's great in most places. Use PU for the motor mount and LG.

tPic 2h. Add the other fuselage side, taking care to ensure they align at the tail, nose and sides properly. Do not fill up the LG Slot with glue. You'll need it later.

Pic 3. Add the rear bulkhead. It should go where the fuse begins to taper, but it's position is not very critical and it can even be eliminated without too much consequence. It is more important in the bigger planes.

Pic 4. Add the top and bottom pieces. The top piece is drawn too long on the plans but no matter. Fit it in from the back and cut it at the wing saddle. Put the peices in as flush as possible and use som pins to hold the whole thing together until the glue sets up.

OK we've done the hard part. Wasn't that a killer? Next Installment: Wings and Tail

Tony
Old May 07, 2007, 11:18 PM
John 3:16
Dom. Rep.
Joined May 2003
3,825 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy-O
Can you post a one page 'parts' pdf?
Daddy-O
Can you post a one page 'parts page' pdf? It would be cleaner to print out blown up for a big one. Don't worry about it if it is too much trouble.
Daddy-O
Daddy-O is offline Find More Posts by Daddy-O
Old May 08, 2007, 02:28 AM
Joined May 2006
97 Posts
Pat,

Thanks for the scoop on the epp fuse...I'm watching this one closely as I just got my epp from Slofly (all 9mm). Did you stick with epp for the wing or go with FF/Depron?

Scott
Scott Crownover is offline Find More Posts by Scott Crownover
Old May 08, 2007, 06:12 AM
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy-O
Can you post a one page 'parts page' pdf? It would be cleaner to print out blown up for a big one. Don't worry about it if it is too much trouble.
Daddy-O
Done. Look on page one, post one

Tony
Old May 08, 2007, 07:10 AM
Dom. Rep.
Joined May 2003
3,825 Posts
You the man, Tony! Thanks!
Daddy-O
Old May 08, 2007, 09:17 AM
KZ RIDER
Confederate States of America
Joined Nov 2001
1,037 Posts
I hope you show in great detail how you got your wing to stay in that wonderful shape. And if you use a spar. Did you use a heatgun, or just cold forming?
It looks great.
Saw the video of the larger AP version and it was SMOOOOOTTHHH!!!
I can hardly wait to get home from work so I can start on mine!!!

Also, can you give the wingspan of the version that uses the J250DD or the IPS-A drive?

Can you post the RTF weight and what equipment you used the the J250DD version??

Thanks Ray
raythomas is offline Find More Posts by raythomas
Old May 08, 2007, 10:37 AM
Dom. Rep.
Joined May 2003
3,825 Posts
Where is the vid of the larger AP version? I'd like to see it.
Daddy-O
Old May 08, 2007, 10:50 AM
KZ RIDER
Confederate States of America
Joined Nov 2001
1,037 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=682381

Here it is!!!
raythomas is offline Find More Posts by raythomas
Old May 08, 2007, 11:59 AM
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raythomas
I hope you show in great detail how you got your wing to stay in that wonderful shape. And if you use a spar. Did you use a heatgun, or just cold forming?
It looks great.
Saw the video of the larger AP version and it was SMOOOOOTTHHH!!!
I can hardly wait to get home from work so I can start on mine!!!

Also, can you give the wingspan of the version that uses the J250DD or the IPS-A drive?

Can you post the RTF weight and what equipment you used the the J250DD version??

Thanks Ray
It is just cold formed over a kitchen counter top. The "spar" is a popsicle stick or a piece of bamboo.

The Blu-Baby's span is 33" and I have no idea what the RTF weight is. I've never weighed it!

Tony
Old May 08, 2007, 12:09 PM
Joined May 2006
2,854 Posts
I curved a piece of plywood to mount the landing gear on. Got to be removeable. Still haven't figured out how the tailfeathers will remove. I could just remove one or other. Still thinking on that one . Maybe glue bottom of rudder to popsicle stick with 2 blind nuts in it & popsicle stick glued to underside of stabiliser with 2 holes in it and glue stab. in solid.
???????

Ken
nubee 1 is offline Find More Posts by nubee 1
Old May 08, 2007, 04:14 PM
AMA 14680
Northern Nevada
Joined Mar 2007
1,581 Posts
Test Flight at Dawn

Tony.... This Blue Baby is White. Still using my dollar a sheet Elmers Foam board (1.5 sheets). Everything is standard as you designed, except I rounded the rudder because I saw a Cessna Birddog lurking in that foarm. Will fly her in the morning when the wind is down. Thanks again for your help and inspiration. Bob
Foamenator is offline Find More Posts by Foamenator