HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 19, 2007, 12:55 PM
Nerd
Ottawa, Canada
Joined Apr 2007
99 Posts
Thank you . Sorry for the late reply, by the way.

Just a question, would I be able to power this plane from a NiMH battery pack? I understand I'll be getting smaller flight times, but I don't think I would feel too comfortable, when starting out, to use LiPoly batteries (the whole deal with exploding packs). As well, some local club members told as such too, that I should try and stay away with LiPoly packs for the first few planes.

Any recommendations or ideas? Sorry about so many questions, I know I keep changing my mind and going back and forth, oh the joys of getting started with a hobby while having so many choices.
-Omar
Omar.M is offline Find More Posts by Omar.M
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 19, 2007, 01:34 PM
United States, OH, Westlake
Joined Mar 2002
4,543 Posts
Omar,

It will be fine with NiMHs. I'd guess you'd want a 7 cell perhaps 800-1000 mAh pack.

On another note, if you are rigorous in doing the right thing you'll be fine with LiPos. It's not like they just randomly explode or anything (often). The right thing means using a balancing charger, using an ESC made for lipos, respecting power loading, keeping them in containers that direct or control the venting should it happen, and not taunting them. I store and charge mine in the garage, either in an old coffee can away from thigns that burn or in a cofee mug when charging. If you feel confident then go with them, if not then hold off and move to them when you're comfortable. But they are well worth the effort.
kdahlhaus is online now Find More Posts by kdahlhaus
Old Jun 19, 2007, 02:05 PM
Heli's don't fly voluntarily
United States, TN, Columbia
Joined Apr 2007
524 Posts
Top Step KF Blu-Baby Balance?

Any suggestions for balancing this plane before flying. Right now, with all electronics installed except the .6 oz receiver, the balance point is 3 1/2" back from the leading edge. That's where I'd start with a "normal" wing, but does the top step KF wing require a different CG?

Am I the first to build this bird with a KF wing? If not, how did things go for those who have gone before me?
Kaos2 is offline Find More Posts by Kaos2
Old Jun 19, 2007, 04:08 PM
Nerd
Ottawa, Canada
Joined Apr 2007
99 Posts
Thank you very much, ,
I am actually going to buy this combo:
https://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITED...idProduct=4706
As Tony recommended to me. What do you think? Will I be able power this thing with what you suggested above? Or am I looking for higher numbers?
Thank you very much once again!

Kaos2: That plane is looking so great! Great job!

-Omar
Omar.M is offline Find More Posts by Omar.M
Old Jun 19, 2007, 09:53 PM
Good glue is evil
melbourne australia
Joined Sep 2003
774 Posts
nicely done Kaos2
brucej is offline Find More Posts by brucej
Old Jun 19, 2007, 10:13 PM
Joined Apr 2007
524 Posts
Thanks for the kind comments. My reciever should arrive by Friday, so I hope to maiden Sat. or Sun.

This was my first attempt at scratch building a foamie. I've learned alot! For me, foam is fun to build with and my next attempt is bound to be better.
Old Jun 19, 2007, 11:03 PM
I'm not flying backwards!
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Good lookin' plane Kaos. Our experience with the KFm airfoil indicates that many of them enjoy a rearward CG. Start at the 33% chord and move it back from there. Lots of folks report the sweet spot at 38% or 40%. Good luck witrh the maiden. The KFm's fly very nicely and I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Tony
Tony65x55 is offline Find More Posts by Tony65x55
Old Jun 20, 2007, 06:54 AM
Joined Apr 2007
524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony65x55
Good lookin' plane Kaos. Our experience with the KFm airfoil indicates that many of them enjoy a rearward CG. Start at the 33% chord and move it back from there. Lots of folks report the sweet spot at 38% or 40%. Good luck witrh the maiden. The KFm's fly very nicely and I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Tony
Thanks Tony. That gives me a place to start. I had read about the more aft CG in the KF flying wing thread and wondered if that would also apply to an airplane of this configuration as well.
Old Jun 20, 2007, 05:15 PM
Joined Mar 2002
4,543 Posts
Was looking around and found this. The fuselage on this plane sure lends itself to the monobloc technique:
Old Jun 21, 2007, 06:21 PM
Joined Apr 2007
524 Posts
Since I had nothing better to do while I am waiting for my receiver to arrive, I decided to paint my KF Blu-Baby and take a couple of pictures.

I can't wait to fly this thing!
Old Jun 21, 2007, 07:28 PM
I'm not flying backwards!
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Kaos, it looks fantastic. Git 'er in the air! Lots of pics and movies too!

Tony
Tony65x55 is offline Find More Posts by Tony65x55
Old Jun 21, 2007, 08:22 PM
Joined Mar 2002
4,543 Posts
Looks sweet. It reminds me of the E-flite mini-pulse - I've been looking at it. I'm looking forward to hearing how she flies with ailerons. I was kicking around the idea of building an aileron wing for it. It's nice to be able to switch the wings around.
Old Jun 21, 2007, 08:25 PM
AMA 14680
Northern Nevada
Joined Mar 2007
1,581 Posts
Fantastic Job

Kaos... Fantastic looking plane. It'll fly just as good as it looks Bob
Foamenator is offline Find More Posts by Foamenator
Old Jun 21, 2007, 09:33 PM
Ipoh, Perak Malaysia
Joined Jul 2006
4,011 Posts
Good job, Kaos! Please let us know how she flies.

chewy
chewytm is offline Find More Posts by chewytm
Old Jun 22, 2007, 01:51 AM
You deserve my opinion
Collierville, TN
Joined Apr 2005
1,497 Posts
Kaos, what a beautiful job. Can't wait to hear how you like the K-Fm. Pat
FirstShirt is offline Find More Posts by FirstShirt