SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 09, 2008, 08:12 PM
Joined May 2006
2,854 Posts
Mine are all in the rear of compartment under wing.

Ken
nubee 1 is offline Find More Posts by nubee 1
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 09, 2008, 08:22 PM
If it flies, its cool
Atlanta
Joined Apr 2007
1,114 Posts
i have some of those corona recs and lost mu xtal in mid flight!
what and where have you ben giting xtals for those corona rec?
bondohead is offline Find More Posts by bondohead
Old Apr 09, 2008, 08:22 PM
Registered Aircraft Offender
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bondohead
are all you guys mounting your servos at the rear ov feuse like that?
regardless of the many different ways ppl mount their stuff, the best way to mount them depends on the plane and the way it was built. ideally stuff should be mounted such that A) your cg is right without having to add ballast, and B) (as long as your build doesn't turn out tail heavy) your servos should be as close as possible to the surfaces they control (the shorter the control rod, the less it will flex).

i said all that in an "ideal" context. in the real world things like access to servos can be a deciding factor. that's why most ppl like to keep their tail-feather servos near the wing, unless the design allows for fuse access hatches or exposed servos. on the larger bbap, i think mounting the servos near the tail & cutting an access hatch would work well and allow for more battery weight up front. on the normal 33" bb's, since the battery is already near the cg, the servos need to stay under the wing (not much "balancing leverage" with the battery so close to the cg). just my $.02.

kev
Truglodite is offline Find More Posts by Truglodite
Old Apr 09, 2008, 08:26 PM
Joined May 2006
2,854 Posts
Quote:
i have some of those corona recs and lost mu xtal in mid flight!
what and where have you ben giting xtals for those corona rec?
Are you using the dual or single ?
I get my crystals from BPHobbies $2.50
All my Coronas that use xtals are single conversion.

Ken
Old Apr 09, 2008, 08:36 PM
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nubee 1
Blue Baby Bomber

I think i'm going to have to put a drop bay in my 60" BB. Hell I can't even learn how to run one of these new fangled camera's. Let alone take it for a ride. But I have been looking at the ones that send the data to the ground. There on that 2.4 Ghz every body is raveing about. Along with routers, garage door openers and many ECT"s.
Grandsons BB42 with 2 wings is all done & ready to box up. Got 4 props balanced and gathering a kit of goodies he will need.

Ken
not sure if you've already seen it, but here's where i posted pics & info for my bbap 60" uc w/ functional bomb bay door:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=916

as tony mentioned, these bbap's have rediculous amounts of lift (super high L/D actually). i've dropped 5 mini 2" tall paratroopers at once (could've fit 10 in that bomb bay). with so much lift i probably could've dropped 1lb metal slugs if i had to.

90% of my paratrooper drops hav taken place so high that you can barely see the troops as they float away in the wind. i figure why not drop from way up... i did make the plane to take pics and drop toys from heights unreachable by throwing them with your arm. still, it is just as entertaining to come in low and try to make the paratroopers land in a small "target LZ"; that way you can see the 'chutes open and the paratroopers bobbling their way down. of course, it's also fun dropping them very high, knowing that someone far away might see it fall in front of them & wonder where the heck it came from.

there's so much more possible with a bomb bay. perhaps when i have time i'll rig things up so my paratroopers will emit smoke trails upon release, just like the Golden Knights.

kev
Old Apr 09, 2008, 09:01 PM
Joined May 2006
2,854 Posts
Tony
I laid out the wing on the "cat lifter" and it comes out at spar 29 1/2" so I guess im close by the time the end plates go on. Do you think I should make it wider so a full grown cat will fit in ? Maybe 3" ? Im using 1" pink for mono so it would be easy. Guess I got the cat lovers all heated up. Really ? My sisters cats are all fat and I don't think my KDA 22-15M would lift one. How about a trimotor ? Hang a pair of Blue Wonders on the wing. Good night all. Im going to bed.

Ken At 10:00
Old Apr 09, 2008, 09:53 PM
In Rc for a LONG TIME FFAA#1
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jun 2004
1,375 Posts
Hmm i wonder do you think we could the the pages to 365 at the same time the thread hits 1 year!!! only have 101 pages to fill
laserman is offline Find More Posts by laserman
Old Apr 09, 2008, 10:49 PM
I'm not flying backwards!
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Quote:
are all you guys mounting your servos at the rear ov feuse like that?
I mount mine inside the fuselage under the wing.

Tony
Tony65x55 is offline Find More Posts by Tony65x55
Old Apr 09, 2008, 11:06 PM
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Quote:
Tony
I laid out the wing on the "cat lifter" and it comes out at spar 29 1/2" so I guess im close by the time the end plates go on. Do you think I should make it wider so a full grown cat will fit in ? Maybe 3" ? Im using 1" pink for mono so it would be easy. Guess I got the cat lovers all heated up. Really ? My sisters cats are all fat and I don't think my KDA 22-15M would lift one. How about a trimotor ? Hang a pair of Blue Wonders on the wing. Good night all. Im going to bed.

Go to bed Ken, you're losing it buddy. PETA will get you if you keep up the cat talk.

Tony

PS: (whisper) The really fat ones can go under the fuse in a sling.
Old Apr 09, 2008, 11:07 PM
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by laserman
Hmm i wonder do you think we could the the pages to 365 at the same time the thread hits 1 year!!! only have 101 pages to fill
Only 101 pages. Ya never know. This thread is certainly active in spades.

Tony
Old Apr 09, 2008, 11:14 PM
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,521 Posts
Quote:
Tony

hey, i love my 2 cats, but there are times when i wish some bbap would come by and fly away with my female cat (she can be really mean, actually, she always is to everyone except me). seriously though, i don't care if the spca is listening, the problem with lifting cats is they have an average weight of what, 6lb? i think we'd need a qs or better to do that effectively. as far as fat cats, no way. my big boy cat weighs well over 14lbs... that would take some serious power to get his lazy a** airborn. our big foamies are better suited to smaller rodents and such. iirc, when i first started posting about my bomber bbap, someone did mention getting back at troublesome neighbors by airlifting varmints over the fence.

g'nite all,
kev
Old Apr 10, 2008, 06:54 AM
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Actually, with a little beefing up of the spars and a medium powerful motor and battery, a six lb payload would be quite achievable for the BBAP1 60". Empty aircraft weight is less than two lbs and an eight lb 60" aircraft is not the least bit uncommon with gassers. She'd fly.

Tony
Old Apr 10, 2008, 10:18 AM
Joined May 2006
2,854 Posts
What a great way to start my day. Think it would have to be a bigger airframe to lift Betty's cats. 6 pounds ? The smallest one weighs twice that much. The big (was a boy) weighs 20 lbs. Twin KDA 22-20L's 100" wing. Lets have a lifting contest to see who can lift the most weight OFF the runway and fly a pattern. D A R N woke up "nut's
again.

Ken Gone to build a box.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 10:26 AM
Joined Apr 2008
4 Posts
Help required with Blu-baby 42

What a great thread. I hope the enclosed document is not too long.
Failed flyer is offline Find More Posts by Failed flyer
Old Apr 11, 2008, 12:51 PM
Prescott, AZ
Joined Jan 2008
356 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony65x55
Fantastic Pres! Congrats on a successful maiden. A little right thrust on the motor will probably solve the right turn thing.

To my knowledge, no one has done a BB for FMS.

Tony
Adjusted the motor with a couple more washers to the right and she now turns beautifully both ways. Took her today in some 10 - 15 MPH winds and she was a champ. Takes off in less than 10' and handles beautifully with only a couple of tirm adjustments.

I took some video on my new headcam (My Sony DCR-PC100 mounted to my bike helmet) and will post it when I finish editing. My plan was to get some aerobatics footage, but it was too windy for my limited flying skills so I practiced some crontrolled crashes (landings I think other people call them). Didn't put but a tiny scratch on her. With flaperons down I am able to come in very slowly.

I have a handheld remote control for the camera...if I could figure out some sort of mirror system (biker's mirror?), it would be cool to be able to zoom in.

Thanks for the motor angle tip, Tony!
SpinningInPres is offline Find More Posts by SpinningInPres