HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 06, 2008, 02:55 PM
AKA Don
United States, MI, Houghton Lake
Joined Dec 2002
7,644 Posts
Cord is the length of a straight line from wing leading edge to trailing edge.
bz1mcr is offline Find More Posts by bz1mcr
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 06, 2008, 03:08 PM
If it flies, its cool
Atlanta
Joined Apr 2007
1,114 Posts
so the with of the main wing?
bondohead is offline Find More Posts by bondohead
Old Apr 06, 2008, 09:05 PM
I'm not flying backwards!
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer
Tony: thanks for the rudder tip. I tried it this am. Wind almost 0, and I really tried focusing on what I and the plane were doing. First, I realized I'm holding the ailerons too long into the turn. I started consciously just blipping to start the roll, and most of the wing drop disappeared (Obvious once ya think about it - duh!). Then added rudder instead of just ele and she came around nicely. I'd earlier tried rudder/ele, but without dihedral, turns were flat/wierd, of course. I still have the tendency to start climbing into a stall with left turn. But I found that the full up travel of left aileron is greater than right one. I also have lots of differential (mostly up, very little down) which I put in because earlier the ailerons didn't seem effective at all with balanced throws. But I recently switched from 3oz nimh to 1+oz lipo, so plane is lighter, less pendulum effect now. I think I'm gonna recut ailerons and reinstall, and reduce the differential to make sure the wing at least is balanced.

Thanks for putting up with my questions

mike
Never a problem Mike. I think you're looking in the right place. Differential throw is desirable most of the time because the downgoing aileron generates more drag than the upgoing one, creating yaw in the wrong direction (adverse yaw). However, the downgoing aileron is more effective at raising a wing than the upgoing aileron is at dropping a wing do this needs to be applied in moderation. Just like full scale aircraft, rudder must applied to counter the adverse yaw. Voila! A Coordinated Turn! (the rudder/aileron interaction is what the "coordinated" stands for.

With a computer radio you can electronically mix the two together so you don't need as much "two thumb coordination" The BB likes this. As I said before, BB's need some rudder with the ailerons. That's part of what makes a good trainer, The ability to teach the pilot what is needed without biting the inexperienced flyer.

Tony
Tony65x55 is offline Find More Posts by Tony65x55
Old Apr 06, 2008, 09:18 PM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,181 Posts
I gave away MY BluBaby today... needed to clean out the Hangar since I'm moving in a month. She will be missed, she served me well,... hopefully she'll be as good to her next owner as she was to me.
warhead_71 is offline Find More Posts by warhead_71
Old Apr 06, 2008, 09:53 PM
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
You (gasp) gave away your only Baby. That was unselfish of you, when are you starting the next one (lol)

Tony
Old Apr 06, 2008, 10:12 PM
In Rc for a LONG TIME FFAA#1
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jun 2004
1,377 Posts
well got my push rods installed and when i went to my supply box NO MORE control horns!!! waaa, oh well, will have to hit the supply store tommorow, and get some more supplys and the wfie said yes to a minor shopping spree at the hobby shop so will be hitting it for more parts and such.

oh yeah Tony were you able to beg off the late night meeting on monday or not, if you haven't that is ok i will be working till 7 pm on tues but if you care to drop by let me know
jim
laserman is offline Find More Posts by laserman
Old Apr 06, 2008, 10:13 PM
AKA Don
United States, MI, Houghton Lake
Joined Dec 2002
7,644 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bondohead
so the with of the main wing?
Yes, the cord can be described as the width of the wing.
bz1mcr is offline Find More Posts by bz1mcr
Old Apr 06, 2008, 10:19 PM
Ipoh, Perak Malaysia
Joined Jul 2006
4,011 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by laserman
well got my push rods installed and when i went to my supply box NO MORE control horns!!! waaa, oh well, will have to hit the supply store tommorow, and get some more supplys and the wfie said yes to a minor shopping spree at the hobby shop so will be hitting it for more parts and such.

oh yeah Tony were you able to beg off the late night meeting on monday or not, if you haven't that is ok i will be working till 7 pm on tues but if you care to drop by let me know
jim

No need to go to the hobby store. Just cut up your credit card. Cut them to shape, drill a couple of hole in them, roughen the base up, cut a slot in the control surface and epoxy them in. Your wifey will thank you.

Go on you still have time to do it before bedtime.

chewy
chewytm is offline Find More Posts by chewytm
Old Apr 06, 2008, 10:26 PM
In Rc for a LONG TIME FFAA#1
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jun 2004
1,377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewytm
No need to go to the hobby store. Just cut up your credit card. Cut them to shape, drill a couple of hole in them, roughen the base up, cut a slot in the control surface and epoxy them in. Your wifey will thank you.

chewy
NEVER look a shopping spree at the LHS!!! i need to get there to get some more depron as well!! and other goods as well and teh WIFE SAID yes!! so i don't mind waiting
laserman is offline Find More Posts by laserman
Old Apr 06, 2008, 10:33 PM
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Quote:

jim
Still don't know Jim. I'll phone if I'm coming up.

Tony
Old Apr 06, 2008, 10:37 PM
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewytm

chewy
Chewy, you took the words right out of my mouth. Jim, I have about a zillion old plastic card hotel room keys. Want a stack? It isn't like I can't get more. They make great control horns and other reinforcing bits. I got a zillion popsicle sticks too...want some?

Tony
Old Apr 06, 2008, 11:01 PM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony65x55
You (gasp) gave away your only Baby. That was unselfish of you, when are you starting the next one (lol)

Tony
I WILL build another, bigger, stronger, and with KF3 wings... going for duration and camera platform next time
Old Apr 06, 2008, 11:03 PM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,181 Posts
Quote:
well got my push rods installed and when i went to my supply box NO MORE control horns!!! waaa, ...
jim
Try these...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=212
Old Apr 06, 2008, 11:04 PM
Prescott, AZ
Joined Jan 2008
356 Posts
Quote:

jim
I used zip ties for control horns...works really well...

PS
SpinningInPres is offline Find More Posts by SpinningInPres
Old Apr 06, 2008, 11:39 PM
Joined May 2006
2,854 Posts
I just ordered a bunch from Tower that should be here tomorrow. I ran out also.

Ken
nubee 1 is offline Find More Posts by nubee 1