looks good
brucej is offline Find More Posts by brucej
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 01, 2007, 05:42 AM
Ipoh, Perak Malaysia
Joined Jul 2006
3,973 Posts
Hi Scott,

Very nice. Are you using the kfm at the top or bottom? Why do you need 2 spars for the wings? I shall be starting next week and would like to pick everyone's brains.

Do you think I should use kfm or just bend a curve in the depron?

chewy
chewytm is offline Find More Posts by chewytm
Old Jun 01, 2007, 06:46 AM
You deserve my opinion
Collierville, TN
Joined Apr 2005
1,497 Posts
Scott,

Very nice! I'm a huge fan of EPP. Until now, I've only used EPP for the fuse, then Blucor or Depron for an undercamphered wing. So, I'm really looking forward to seeing how you like the K-Fm wing on your Blu-Baby. Thanks for being the pioneer!

Pat
FirstShirt is offline Find More Posts by FirstShirt
Old Jun 01, 2007, 07:19 AM
I'm not flying backwards!
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Scott, the build looks good. I think you'll like the flight characteristicsc of the KFm foil. It does some really neat stuff. Let us know how the EPP works out too.

Tony
Tony65x55 is offline Find More Posts by Tony65x55
Old Jun 02, 2007, 04:02 AM
Joined May 2006
97 Posts
Tony, Bruce, Chewy and Pat,

Thanks for the input guys. I laminated the wing and KFm strips tonight. Will keep you posted. Chewy..I was eager to play with the epp I got from Steve at Slofly.com, and I used it once before for leading edges on some tzagis I cut. I have also cut out a 4F-51. I would probably have leaned towards fff and the 4-40 airfoil for this build, but fan fold is hard to get in Phoenix, and ..the KFm approach would seem to add a little stiffness to make epp perform a little better than it would in a flat plate. The epp lacks much stiffness, and this complicates a dihedral wing build a little. I probably could have gone with a single spar buried in the KFm strips, but since I am leaving the rear 50% of chord realtively unsupported, I opted for a short 2nd spar at 40%. Should be very crashworthy, but depron or fff could probably end up a little lighter in weight due to the need for joined spars. Also, a flat wing with ailerons would simplify the epp wing build, but I am making this for a buddy with little flight time. I am eager to see Gene's EPPiper wing details. I think Tony's design will perform well in depron, fff, or epp..so use what you are most familiar with and have fun.

Scott
Scott Crownover is offline Find More Posts by Scott Crownover
Old Jun 02, 2007, 06:24 AM
I'm not flying backwards!
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Geez Scott, when I saw the thumbnail I thought you were doing some kind of bizarre weight lifting experiment with a BB wing. "Mmmm, it's never gonna lift all that"

Looks good

Tony
Tony65x55 is offline Find More Posts by Tony65x55
Old Jun 06, 2007, 12:20 PM
United States, OH, Westlake
Joined Mar 2002
4,483 Posts
42" Blu-Baby

I liked the way Tony detailed the cockpit on the prototype that I went with the same concept - with my loyal copilot of course.

AUW is 13.3oz (377g) with a 1300 mAh li 2 cell battery and a GWS 350.

Haven't really maidened it yet. 'Really' in this case means I tossed it into the air in a front yard that is *way* too small for a first flight. Going up I cleared the phone wires, but it was oversensitive, so I brought it down. Down into the power feed for the house that is. The wire lodged between the prop and motor and the plane hung there. Flight time about 7 seconds total. Yes this was a bad idea and I'll probably due something like this again. Just couldn't wait any longer to try it out!

School for kids ends today, so I might be able to head up to a park behind a nearby school tomorrow morning for the real maiden flight.

The mono-bloc is a great design. This is the first full-fuse I've built. After the BB the profile planes have just lost some of their appeal.

One thing is that the throws need to be reduced. I know there are numbers posted for the normal size BB. Would the throws be about the same for this larger sized one? I guess I'll start there and see what develops.
kdahlhaus is offline Find More Posts by kdahlhaus
Last edited by kdahlhaus; Jun 06, 2007 at 12:28 PM.
Old Jun 06, 2007, 02:53 PM
You deserve my opinion
Collierville, TN
Joined Apr 2005
1,497 Posts
kdahlhaus,

Wow! Beautiful job on the 42" BB! I had to laugh (with you, not at you) about not being able to wait to fly your new plane. I've never been able to wait either--to the extent that I've flown under street lights, etc. Not always with success.

I can't think of a better first full fuse plane. Tony's given us a real gift with the monobloc concept. (And I've proven that it makes the plane far more crash worthy!).

Again, great job! Looking forward to your "real" maiden flight report.

Pat
Old Jun 06, 2007, 03:24 PM
You deserve my opinion
Collierville, TN
Joined Apr 2005
1,497 Posts
Can your Blu-Baby do an inverted landing?

Last night I was watching my friend fly the BB I gave him. He was flying with my Tx and the Tx battery was getting low (low enough that the audible alarm came on). Being the wise and experienced rc pilot trainer that I am (that's intended as a joke ) I told him that since we were flying close-in to just keep flying. I was comfortable that the signal was still strong enough for him to control the plane.

Well, that was true--for awhile. The pilot was doing a beautiful job and the BB was flying just great. He was flying at a nice slow pace at about 20'-25' when all of a sudden the alarm stopped, and--you guessed it--the Tx shut itself off!

Before either of us could blind, the plane spiraled and somehow went upside down just before hitting the pavement, and then did a perfect inverted landing--sliding several feet across an asphault parking lot before coming to stop not far from us. It was upside down, resting on the wingtips and the vert stab! I promise you I couldn't have done that intentionally if you paid me a million bucks and gave me 50 Blu-Babies to experient with. I'm still scratching my head and wondering how it happened.

Amazingly, other than a couple of minor scratches on the main wing we could find absolutely no damage. I told my "student" that I usually don't teach that landing technique this early in the training, but that he was so gifted there was no reason to wait any longer.

And now I know why they put that alarm on my Tx!

My "student" still loves his plane, but he may be in the market for a new "instructor."

Pat
Last edited by FirstShirt; Jun 06, 2007 at 09:05 PM.
Old Jun 06, 2007, 06:02 PM
AMA 14680
Northern Nevada
Joined Mar 2007
1,581 Posts
Fantastic Foamie Flying

Pat... Great report on foamie flying lessons . I have often amazed many obsevers with my amazing 3D and aerobatic maneuvers. The problem is... I can't do any of them on purpose. In these situations, I always follow my number one rule... Never Confess!!! Bob
Foamenator is offline Find More Posts by Foamenator
Old Jun 06, 2007, 09:19 PM
You deserve my opinion
Collierville, TN
Joined Apr 2005
1,497 Posts
Inverted landing explanation

Bob,

You're great! LOL! As my wife likes to say, "Confession is good for the soul, but hard on the reputation." In my case, I don't have much of a reputation to safeguard!

I think I have figured out how the inverted landing happened. My theory is that Tony included some steathy secret elements in the Blu-Baby design that are undetectable to us mortals without a Blu-Baby secret decoder ring. Until now I thought that Tony was giving away his design, but I bet after this and other unexplainable events occur with other Blu-Babies, he'll start selling the secret decoder rings for big bucks. Just you wait and see.

Pat
Old Jun 06, 2007, 09:25 PM
New Hampshire-seacoast area
Joined Jun 2005
1,755 Posts
Hey Pat, Same thing happened to me once too!! But I needed a broom to retrieve the plane.

Which brings up my gripe about the Optic6-- is there any way to make up a nicad battery that has a larger capacity than the 600 mA stock Hitec battery?

Not meaning to derail this thread, just wondering.

Paul
praymond is offline Find More Posts by praymond
Old Jun 06, 2007, 09:44 PM
You deserve my opinion
Collierville, TN
Joined Apr 2005
1,497 Posts
Paul,

Well, I can't make fun of you for the broom. I used to (literally) carry a long painter's extension pole in my truck because I was always getting stuck in trees!

I have a Polks Hobby Tx with a 900mah battery plus a spare--and wishing I had two spares. How about this for your Optic 6? http://www.servocity.com/html/9_6v_1...h_battery.html.

Pat
Old Jun 06, 2007, 09:52 PM
Joined Jun 2005
1,755 Posts
Hey thanks Pat! Now I can fly all night long!!

How about this-- $10 H55's

http://www.servocity.com/html/hs-55_sub-micro.html
Old Jun 06, 2007, 10:05 PM
Joined Jun 2005
1,755 Posts
Here's something to think about for you big cub builders (refering to K's 42" big baby above). Hobbyzone Supercub replacement wings ($20) make for a great strong, and floaty wing. I put one on a STS body. The GWS Beaver guys use them too. I'm thinking that on an enlarged BB trainer, it would be a great combo. it's 48" and has a 7" chord.

Here's a pic of it on the STS