HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 27, 2007, 06:46 AM
I'm not flying backwards!
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Chewy, for the 42" BB Park, use wing struts. The foam will fold up without them.

Tony
Tony65x55 is offline Find More Posts by Tony65x55
to remove ads between posts
Old May 27, 2007, 07:24 AM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
Never ceases to amaze me how most trainers offered by the larger manfacturers are terrible Toys or products of a byegone age, in comparison to the efforts of the guys on this forum. It can't be money, most of the planes here would be pretty cheap to make as a Kit.
dekan is offline Find More Posts by dekan
Old May 27, 2007, 08:05 AM
Ipoh, Perak Malaysia
Joined Jul 2006
3,987 Posts
Ok, Tony. I will put in a couple of cf wing struts. DO I still need a cf spar with the struts?

If I install 2 aileron servos, I guess I will have to program in a lot of differential, right? Also, might as well program in the flaperons while I am at it. Yeah, I know it's probably wasted effort for this plane, but will the flapperons cause tip stalls?

chewy
chewytm is online now Find More Posts by chewytm
Old May 27, 2007, 09:42 AM
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dekan
Never ceases to amaze me how most trainers offered by the larger manfacturers are terrible Toys or products of a byegone age, in comparison to the efforts of the guys on this forum. It can't be money, most of the planes here would be pretty cheap to make as a Kit.
Indeed. It has to be about money, replacement kits and parts etc. The BB airframe costs about two bucks to make, maybe less, and is a better primary trainer than anything I've seen the kit manufacturer's offer. That said, GWS does have a few really good trainers like the Slow Stick and J3.

Tony
Old May 27, 2007, 09:50 AM
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewytm
Ok, Tony. I will put in a couple of cf wing struts. DO I still need a cf spar with the struts?

If I install 2 aileron servos, I guess I will have to program in a lot of differential, right? Also, might as well program in the flaperons while I am at it. Yeah, I know it's probably wasted effort for this plane, but will the flapperons cause tip stalls?

chewy
Chewy, you don't need a spar with the wing struts. As I said before, ailerons require a very large differential to work on an undercambered wing, at least in my experience.

Flaperons are fun to play with and will cause this plane to go from really slow to really, really slow. They shouldn't cause you tip stalls if the flaperon chord is smaller at the tip than at the root. That way, lowering your flaperons increases your effective washout. It doesn't have to be a lot smaller, a 1/4 to 1/2" should do it.

If you find the adverse yaw to much to bear, simply add a bottom panel to the wing. Don't sweat, with the flaperons it will still slow the plane down to a crawl but it will roll way nicer. BTW, a little bit (1/4") of negative flaperon will really increase your cruise speed and penetration.

Tony
Old May 27, 2007, 09:57 AM
You deserve my opinion
Collierville, TN
Joined Apr 2005
1,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dekan
Good reason to build a plane for a noobie. Maybe even a Blu-Baby!
FirstShirt is offline Find More Posts by FirstShirt
Old May 27, 2007, 10:12 AM
You deserve my opinion
Collierville, TN
Joined Apr 2005
1,497 Posts
kdahlhaus, Have you maidened that new 42" BB yet? Looking forward to your flight report!
FirstShirt is offline Find More Posts by FirstShirt
Old May 27, 2007, 11:33 AM
Ipoh, Perak Malaysia
Joined Jul 2006
3,987 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony65x55

If you find the adverse yaw to much to bear, simply add a bottom panel to the wing. Don't sweat, with the flaperons it will still slow the plane down to a crawl but it will roll way nicer. BTW, a little bit (1/4") of negative flaperon will really increase your cruise speed and penetration.

Tony

By "add a bottom panel" do you mean make the airfoil a flat bottomed section? If not, then what does that mean?

Again, thanks for the info.

chewy
chewytm is online now Find More Posts by chewytm
Old May 27, 2007, 11:46 AM
United States, OH, Westlake
Joined Mar 2002
4,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstShirt
kdahlhaus, Have you maidened that new 42" BB yet? Looking forward to your flight report!
Nope, not yet. Need to mount the electronics / pushrods / engine and reinforce the wing and it should be ready to go.
kdahlhaus is offline Find More Posts by kdahlhaus
Old May 27, 2007, 11:58 AM
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewytm
By "add a bottom panel" do you mean make the airfoil a flat bottomed section? If not, then what does that mean?

Again, thanks for the info.

chewy
Yup, that's exactly what I mean.

Tony
Old May 28, 2007, 11:00 AM
Joined Mar 2002
4,494 Posts
Guys,

How do you align the pushrod with the servos, elevator, and holes in the bulkhead and fuselage? I tried poking a hole from the elevator going forward. It kind of worked, although the pushrod has a bend in it. I've dealt only with profile planes before, and of course it's pretty easy on those!
Old May 28, 2007, 01:19 PM
AMA 14680
Northern Nevada
Joined Mar 2007
1,581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdahlhaus
Guys,

How do you align the pushrod with the servos, elevator, and holes in the bulkhead and fuselage? I tried poking a hole from the elevator going forward. It kind of worked, although the pushrod has a bend in it. I've dealt only with profile planes before, and of course it's pretty easy on those!
Kdahhaus.... Looking from above or below the fuse I take a straight edge and determine the straightest line from the outmost hole in the servo arm to the point closest to the centerline of the model usually about 3/4 in. On a narrow fuselage I run the line from the right side servo to the left side control horn of the rudder or elevator. On the horizontal plane I simply lay the servos on the plan and draw a straight line from the servo horn (based on where I'm positioning the servo) to the control horn on the elevator or rudder. Hope this makes some sense... Bob
Foamenator is offline Find More Posts by Foamenator
Old May 28, 2007, 02:03 PM
Joined Mar 2002
4,494 Posts
Thanks Bob. That makes perfect sense. I should have make the arrangements before assembling. Next time!
Old May 28, 2007, 06:33 PM
AMA 14680
Northern Nevada
Joined Mar 2007
1,581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdahlhaus
Thanks Bob. That makes perfect sense. I should have make the arrangements before assembling. Next time!
No problem.... The path doesn't have to be perfectly straight so long as the rod slides easily. Bob
Foamenator is offline Find More Posts by Foamenator
Old Jun 01, 2007, 01:08 AM
Joined May 2006
97 Posts
Progress so far...

Wing halves and KFm strips joined at the dihedral angle (hotwired angles)
KFm strips grooved for spars (soldering iron).
Front and rear carbon spars and 5/32 alum joiners mated.
Mono block parts mated to glued to fuse halves.
Fuse taped together for pic.

Ready to plop in the spars and glue the KFm strips to the wings!
Still gotta work out servo and reciever mounting and widen stab slot before gluing fuse sides together. Looking forward to the test flights!!

Scott
Scott Crownover is offline Find More Posts by Scott Crownover