HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 25, 2007, 09:35 AM
United States, OH, Westlake
Joined Mar 2002
4,510 Posts
Best is to try it on scraps. Slowly move the gun over the foam, perhaps 3 cm away from the surface. You'll see a slight change in the surface when it is hot enough. The top layer melts a bit. It ends up being a bit darker and shinier.
kdahlhaus is online now Find More Posts by kdahlhaus
to remove ads between posts
Old May 25, 2007, 10:27 AM
Longmont Co.
Joined Jun 2003
119 Posts
Does the 42" BB use the same fuse as the original?
tometech is offline Find More Posts by tometech
Old May 25, 2007, 10:39 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,105 Posts
The skin actually shrinks and becomes tighter.. too much becomes a hole ...
gpw is online now Find More Posts by gpw
Old May 25, 2007, 10:41 AM
United States, OH, Westlake
Joined Mar 2002
4,510 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tometech
Does the 42" BB use the same fuse as the original?
No, Tony posted scaled-up plans.
kdahlhaus is online now Find More Posts by kdahlhaus
Old May 25, 2007, 12:23 PM
The Dude Abides
Brockport
Joined Sep 2005
315 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw
The skin actually shrinks and becomes tighter.. too much becomes a hole ...
So I am assuming that the skin can be left on or off?
Beemus is offline Find More Posts by Beemus
Old May 25, 2007, 01:01 PM
You deserve my opinion
Collierville, TN
Joined Apr 2005
1,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemus
So I am assuming that the skin can be left on or off?
Generally speaking, leave the skin on. The skin strengthens the foam.

Some guys remove it if they are building an ultra-lite indoor plane in order to save a few grams or in order to make an adhesive adhere better to the foam. I don't see a need for it with the BB.
FirstShirt is offline Find More Posts by FirstShirt
Old May 25, 2007, 07:44 PM
Dismembered Member...
Niagara Falls/Toronto area
Joined Dec 2003
4,536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewytm
Would a high wattage hairdryer work almost as well as a specialized heat gun? It is just about impossible to get a heatgun in Malaysia. If so, what minimum wattage sould I get? Do you set the blower on high or low?

chewy
Chewy: Get yerself a paint stripper type heat gun. They are somewhat hotter than the monokote guns, but you can always move the gun further back, or move it faster. Like the other guys said, practise on some scraps first.

BRad
arx_n_sparx is offline Find More Posts by arx_n_sparx
Old May 25, 2007, 10:49 PM
Joined May 2006
97 Posts
Tony,

Your plans look great. Have parts cut out for a 33" version as follows:

All 9mm EPP (monoblock is 3 sheets or 1 1/8" wide)
3 Channel set-up.
Wing: Kfm strip ~40% of chord, flat on wing bottom, no wedge, rounded LE.
Carbon as needed for spars. Stock dihedral or <.
Motor: Blue Wonder 1300kv.

Will try to post a pic when she comes together.

Scott
Scott Crownover is offline Find More Posts by Scott Crownover
Old May 25, 2007, 10:57 PM
You deserve my opinion
Collierville, TN
Joined Apr 2005
1,497 Posts
Scott, I'm looking forward to hearing how you like the KFm wing on the BB. Thanks. Pat
Old May 26, 2007, 06:53 AM
I'm not flying backwards!
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Crownover
Tony,

Your plans look great. Have parts cut out for a 33" version as follows:

All 9mm EPP (monoblock is 3 sheets or 1 1/8" wide)
3 Channel set-up.
Wing: Kfm strip ~40% of chord, flat on wing bottom, no wedge, rounded LE.
Carbon as needed for spars. Stock dihedral or <.
Motor: Blue Wonder 1300kv.

Will try to post a pic when she comes together.

Scott
Scott, if I may suggest, put the strip on the top of the wing. While we have had good results with the bottom strip, the KFm seems better on the top.

Please let us know how it works out for you. The KFm will have way better wind penetration.

Tony
Tony65x55 is offline Find More Posts by Tony65x55
Old May 26, 2007, 01:30 PM
Joined May 2006
97 Posts
Tony,

Thanks for the input, we'll try this one on top based on your results. Since it'll be on top, may go to 50% of chord or so (if I remember the correctly, this was consistent w/ suggestions on the KFm thread) also..taking advantage of the increased stiffness. Now where did I leave that sheet of flubber?

Scott
Scott Crownover is offline Find More Posts by Scott Crownover
Old May 27, 2007, 06:17 AM
You deserve my opinion
Collierville, TN
Joined Apr 2005
1,497 Posts
New flyer and the BB

I had a great time with BB#2 and the friend I gave it to on Friday afternoon. We have a great field here that's wonderful for new rc pilots because of its size. His first day out was a total success. Within about 15-20 minutes he was flying so well that he didn't seem to need much help. After about half an hour he was pretty much on his own. Take-offs, landing, etc. all went well. Couldn't believe how quickly he picked this up. He'll be able to go the field himself in no time.

One of the best parts was that his wife came to watch and everyone there was telling her what a great job he was doing.

I think he just ordered that Optic 6, batteries, etc. Till they come in, he can fly on mine.

A guy who's been flying for years tried the BB. He couldn't stop talking about what a great trainer it was. Said he just had to build one for his brother.

Thank, Tony! This was a total success for my friend--and much of it due to the great design of the BB! You are the man!

Pat
Old May 27, 2007, 06:33 AM
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Yes Scott, go for the 50% top. If you fly like me, you need the flubber on the nose!

Tony
Old May 27, 2007, 06:36 AM
Ipoh, Perak Malaysia
Joined Jul 2006
4,005 Posts
Hi folks, thanks for the welcome and all the help.

Do you use cf rods/tubes for spars? Does it need spars? If so, how do you get a dihedral with the cf rod? Do you use a soldering ir to "melt" it and the use ca to strengthen it back? Or do you use alum tubes bent with a pipe bender for the joint?

If you don't use spars, perhaps I will put in a couple of wing struts.

Btw, just came back from the trip. My daugther met her movie star idol from Taiwan. My wife says he is skinny and looks aneamic (spelling?), probably from starving himself to keep his thin figure. My daugther says his hands felt like he was cold-blooded. As for me, I had to attend an EGM of my politcal party to change some minor points in the constitution. Boring stuff. Nodding off thru most of it.

chewy
chewytm is offline Find More Posts by chewytm
Old May 27, 2007, 06:41 AM
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstShirt
I had a great time with BB#2 and the friend I gave it to on Friday afternoon. We have a great field here that's wonderful for new rc pilots because of its size. His first day out was a total success. Within about 15-20 minutes he was flying so well that he didn't seem to need much help. After about half an hour he was pretty much on his own. Take-offs, landing, etc. all went well. Couldn't believe how quickly he picked this up. He'll be able to go the field himself in no time.

One of the best parts was that his wife came to watch and everyone there was telling her what a great job he was doing.

I think he just ordered that Optic 6, batteries, etc. Till they come in, he can fly on mine.

A guy who's been flying for years tried the BB. He couldn't stop talking about what a great trainer it was. Said he just had to build one for his brother.

Thank, Tony! This was a total success for my friend--and much of it due to the great design of the BB! You are the man!

Pat
Wow Pat, great stuff. When I said in the beginning of the thread, the BB was a fabulous primary trainer, I don't think I was exaggerating the case. The plane, if set up right, is so easy to fly you can teach (almost) anyone to fly it. As you know, it wasn't originally intended to be so, just an idiot proof plane for indoor flying, but I had three experiences like yours that convinced me otherwise.

I guess you're going to have to build more now... LOL

Tony

PS: Thanks for the kudos. Flattery will get you everywhere. The wife says I'm not cheap, but I CAN be bought. HAHA
Last edited by Tony65x55; May 27, 2007 at 06:47 AM.