HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 24, 2007, 07:07 PM
You deserve my opinion
Collierville, TN
Joined Apr 2005
1,497 Posts
Kaos,

Welcome to RCG!

You'll find the KFm wing here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=558321. To date, I think the planes posted on this thread have all used the more conventional undercam wing.

The Blucor foam is a Dow product usually available at Home stores like Lowes, etc. You'll see it used extensively on the DIY forum of which this thread is a part. You can also use Depron, EPP and other foams suitable for small foamies.

The most commonly used glue is low temp hot glue, but there are many glues suitable. Just make sure it is foam safe.

Hope this helps.

Pat
FirstShirt is offline Find More Posts by FirstShirt
to remove ads between posts
Old May 24, 2007, 08:38 PM
Heli's don't fly voluntarily
United States, TN, Columbia
Joined Apr 2007
524 Posts
Thanks FirstShirt. I thought the Bluecore foam might be the stuff I'd seen in Lowes for years. Got the hot glue gun, so all I need to do is figure out how this wing is made. The rest looks pretty straight forward to me. I've never built a scratch foamie, but have built scratch balsa/ply planes in the past. That's why I'm not familier with the foam terminology. EPP, Bluecore, Pink ?, depron, etc. I know where I can get bluecore, but that's about it so far.

Thanks again.

Rich
Kaos2 is offline Find More Posts by Kaos2
Old May 24, 2007, 09:48 PM
United States, OH, Westlake
Joined Mar 2002
4,543 Posts
Rich,

This plane has good plans and is an easy build. Just finishing up mine. Hot melt is pretty good glue. A very useful item to get is a heat gun. Mine was about $15 at the hobby shop and worth every penny. You use it to temper the foam. It creates a hard exo-shell on the foam giving your wing a lot of strength for no weight.

I peeled the skin off the blucor for the fuselage and bulkheads. I left in on for the wing and stabilizers.
kdahlhaus is offline Find More Posts by kdahlhaus
Old May 24, 2007, 10:03 PM
New Hampshire-seacoast area
Joined Jun 2005
1,755 Posts
Hey Firstshirt, nice looking BB/BD!! You're getting good at these little babies! That epp body looks like the way to go.

I didn't like the long corona antenna either, so I cut it in half, figured the pico 4ch GWS rx's worked with a short antenna, and the corona is a full range rx i think, so what the heck, if it cuts the range to even 1/4 the full range, it's still way more than I'll be flying anyhoo. I've chopped 4 of my rx antennas and had no ill effects.

Paul
praymond is offline Find More Posts by praymond
Old May 24, 2007, 10:41 PM
Heli's don't fly voluntarily
United States, TN, Columbia
Joined Apr 2007
524 Posts
kdahlhaus,

Already have a heat gun, but this is a new one on me about using it on foam. You must have to be quite careful not to melt too much. Thanks for the heads up.

RT
Kaos2 is offline Find More Posts by Kaos2
Old May 25, 2007, 12:03 AM
Ipoh, Perak Malaysia
Joined Jul 2006
4,011 Posts
Would a high wattage hairdryer work almost as well as a specialized heat gun? It is just about impossible to get a heatgun in Malaysia. If so, what minimum wattage sould I get? Do you set the blower on high or low?

chewy
chewytm is offline Find More Posts by chewytm
Old May 25, 2007, 06:53 AM
Joined Mar 2002
4,543 Posts
A good hair dryer may make the foam easier to work, but I don't think it will get hot enough to temper the foam. Worth a try though if you have access to one. My gun only has an on/off switch.
Old May 25, 2007, 08:04 AM
You deserve my opinion
Collierville, TN
Joined Apr 2005
1,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaos2
Thanks FirstShirt. I thought the Bluecore foam might be the stuff I'd seen in Lowes for years. Got the hot glue gun, so all I need to do is figure out how this wing is made. The rest looks pretty straight forward to me. I've never built a scratch foamie, but have built scratch balsa/ply planes in the past. That's why I'm not familier with the foam terminology. EPP, Bluecore, Pink ?, depron, etc. I know where I can get bluecore, but that's about it so far.

Thanks again.

Rich
Rich, Personally, I think the Blucore is a good foam with which to begin. Blucore used to come with a skin on both sides. The newer stuff has skin on only one side, it is not as tough as it used to be. EPP is a little harder to work with (but well worth the effort and certainly not rocket science). Some guys are also using pink foam. BPHobbies also a foam that several guys are using. I like Depron, but it is more expensive and not as tough as Blucore. It it easy to sand and takes pain well.

Earlier in this thread there is some good info on making the wing. Tony even has a video posted.

Waterdog has a plan and build guide for a plane called the STC. Check the build guide for lots of good info on building with Bluecor, building the wing, etc. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=354237

Pat
Old May 25, 2007, 08:09 AM
Joined Mar 2002
4,543 Posts
Just a quick shot of my 42" Blu-Baby in progress. The wing is surprisingly strong as is - before tempering and without any extra spars. There's no flex, and it could probably fly as is. - it will still be tempered though before the maiden.
Old May 25, 2007, 08:28 AM
You deserve my opinion
Collierville, TN
Joined Apr 2005
1,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by praymond
Hey Firstshirt, nice looking BB/BD!! You're getting good at these little babies! That epp body looks like the way to go.

I didn't like the long corona antenna either, so I cut it in half, figured the pico 4ch GWS rx's worked with a short antenna, and the corona is a full range rx i think, so what the heck, if it cuts the range to even 1/4 the full range, it's still way more than I'll be flying anyhoo. I've chopped 4 of my rx antennas and had no ill effects.

Paul
Hey, Paul! I'm always amazed at what you come up with! Always on the cutting edge! Never would have thought of cutting the antenna! This Corona antenna is so long I could fly control line planes with it...but then I guess I wouldn't need an antenna! LOL!

Thanks!
Pat
Last edited by FirstShirt; May 25, 2007 at 08:53 AM.
Old May 25, 2007, 08:34 AM
You deserve my opinion
Collierville, TN
Joined Apr 2005
1,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewytm
Would a high wattage hairdryer work almost as well as a specialized heat gun? It is just about impossible to get a heatgun in Malaysia. If so, what minimum wattage sould I get? Do you set the blower on high or low?

chewy
I would agree with kdahihas on the hair dryer. I've tried one and it didn't help much. My heat gun is 1000 watts. Careful not to get the high wattage industrial type. They can get very hot. Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it, esp on my first few planes. It is helpful, but not critical to temper the wing.

If you use one, experiment on scrap foam. Keep the hg moving or you'll melt the foam.
Last edited by FirstShirt; May 25, 2007 at 08:51 AM.
Old May 25, 2007, 08:36 AM
You deserve my opinion
Collierville, TN
Joined Apr 2005
1,497 Posts
kdahlhaus, Lookin' good! I think I'm gonna have to try a 42"! Looking forward to your flight report!
Old May 25, 2007, 08:45 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,198 Posts
Guys , we found the Monokote heat gun to be perfect for bending,tempering,etc... The idea is the skin gives the strength to the foam , if it's all wrinkly , it's no better than a sack...tightened ,it supports the surface , that's why double skinned blucor was so much stronger than the more flexible PB...Cambered airfoils are much stronger than flat ones/physics...As Shirt said , practice first on scraps...you only have to get it to 190 deg to make bending possible ... keep it moving ... moving or melting ... a piece of scrap material will show you how far you can go ...

Check out the BendFoam thread for an easy airfoil bending jig...that you can make from scraps....
gpw is online now Find More Posts by gpw
Old May 25, 2007, 09:02 AM
I'm not flying backwards!
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdahlhaus
Just a quick shot of my 42" Blu-Baby in progress. The wing is surprisingly strong as is - before tempering and without any extra spars. There's no flex, and it could probably fly as is. - it will still be tempered though before the maiden.
kdahlhaus, that's a great looking BB Park. I've never tempered any of my BB wings, although the Kid's BB PArk wears wing struts. With the way he flys it they should be made of titanium LOL.

Lots of folks like GPW report great results with the tempering of the foam. If GPW says it, you can take it as gospel. Let us know how it works for you. I think you'll find that's the only temper a BB has!

Viking did a report in the KF airfoil thread regarding shaping trailing edges with a covering iron and he got some fabulous results. I haven't tried it yet but I will.

Chewy and Kaos2, welcome to the thread!

Tony
Tony65x55 is offline Find More Posts by Tony65x55
Old May 25, 2007, 10:29 AM
The Dude Abides
Brockport
Joined Sep 2005
315 Posts
When tempering does one just pass the heat gun over the foam, until....? what happens?
Beemus is offline Find More Posts by Beemus