Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 11, 2008, 09:35 PM
Postcards From The Purple Edge
United States, OK, Sand Springs
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
Looks a bit like a short-nosed Electrostreak.

kendall
tuppertn is offline Find More Posts by tuppertn
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2008, 06:16 AM
Switzerland
Joined Jun 2007
22 Posts
Don't know that one. Just searched up for pictures of the ElektroStreak. The nose is about the same length, and if you would rotate the wing 180 degrees, there would be some resemblance to it indeed.

I was worried to get too high a wing loading with 9.8dm2 wing surface and 275g weight, and even 290g with the larger battery.

But as it turned out, the plane can be flown very slowly and faster equally well.

One reason for building this one was for testing the HXT 16g motor. This motor runs very smooth and powerful, one gets good flight times, but its a bit noisy.

And it's a pitty that 1mm allen screws were used for the motor mount. As i don't have this tool mounting the motor was quite difficult and ugly.
goahead is offline Find More Posts by goahead
Last edited by goahead; Jan 12, 2008 at 06:21 AM.
Old Jan 12, 2008, 12:35 PM
upstate NY
Joined Nov 2007
23 Posts
thanks for a wonderful plane there tony. I just haven't done much electric stuff so I thought this would be a great starter. I had a spare Esky heli radio from and original honey bee 4 channel. It has the 4in1 reciever and I thought I would tinker around with that. I runs a 380(I think) size motor in the heli, plus a tail rotor of 180 size. So it should run a small 200-300 size brushed motor with a gws 5030 or so, I least I hope. I have done several run ups and power tests and all seems ok with what I'm using. I built the BB as per plans but used a 1 inch mono block with an extra 1/4 glued on for knuckle room to install the guts. I used dollar tree paper foam board and left the paper on the fuse, but peeled it off the wing and tail. I was easy to build and I've done some test glides and, wow does this thing float, even with my larger motor. I need to get some smaller lipo's cause all I have are 2000+ mah. I do have some 8.4 nimh packs that I'm tempted to try it with if the winds ever die down. [IMG][/IMG]
I have some park flyer wheels, I just need to get some piano wire of the proper size to fashion me some landing gear.
572user is offline Find More Posts by 572user
Old Jan 12, 2008, 01:06 PM
I'm not flying backwards!
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
572, very nice build. She'll fly well for you. I'm looking forward to hearing about the maiden flight.

Tony
Tony65x55 is offline Find More Posts by Tony65x55
Old Jan 12, 2008, 04:37 PM
upstate NY
Joined Nov 2007
23 Posts
Couldn't wait for the maiden, so out I went today. Also the threat of another foot of snow tomorrow night told me either I go out and brave the wind,or I fashion some ski's for it. Wind was a little gusty but there were some calm moments. I tossed it into the air and realized I had the throws set pretty far, it was quite responsive, so I need to tame those down. It climbed in the wind to about 40 feet in the matter of seconds and I had to throttle down to at least 1/4 throttle to stop the climb. Brought it into level flight,trimmed, and made a lap around the yard. It picked up a little spend on the down wind leg but came to a crawl when faced back into the wind with the only tendency to tip stall when it almost came to a complete stop in the air. She just mushes along with 1/4 to 1/3 throttle and half throttle made it climb. This is with an 850 mah nimh pack and a big 380 motor, only brace I used was a 3/16 dowel under the wing. I'm gonna get some small 2c lipos just for this plane.

Again, Great Plane there Tony. Thanks, your tiled plans really helped. Anyone thinking of a small plane for a small place, Build this one!!! You wont be dissapointed.
572user is offline Find More Posts by 572user
Old Jan 12, 2008, 05:21 PM
blundering through
welshpool
Joined Feb 2007
103 Posts
hey guys, i got my BW today, just waiting on esc, lipos and charger.
Brandon Crash is offline Find More Posts by Brandon Crash
Old Jan 12, 2008, 09:05 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,446 Posts
Today was a Tony Day!

In addition to the SE5a I got sorted out (post on appropriate thread), I took some vid of my 48" span Blu Baby here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=800740

Ran her through 4 packs. Actually got her to rise off Grass twice! It's really bumpy, so I haven't tried it before, but got brave today. Actually worked pretty well.

Also flew the babybaby 4 packs too. 18" oal, 28" wings (long for the fuse, but it flys better with the j250 and nimhs). It's a hoot, faster and snappier than the 48 incher.

Great designs, Tony!
springer is online now Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 12, 2008, 09:35 PM
I'm not flying backwards!
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
572, Congratulations on your very successful maiden. I knew it would fly well for you.

Springer, I posted my congrats in the SE5a thread but it's nice to see to flying that BB48". You seem to have it dialed right in and she's very smooth. Nice flying, you'll get your SE5a that way in no time. It's a really smooth flyer too.

Tony
Tony65x55 is offline Find More Posts by Tony65x55
Old Jan 13, 2008, 10:34 AM
"On the Wing"
Ohio
Joined Jul 2006
757 Posts
Incredible Day for Flying

You can't ask for a much better morning in NW Ohio in January than this, gray sky, 34 degrees, 0 to 3 mph winds, no snow, firm well maintained softball infield to take off and land.

I went through 4 batteries, 3 on the Blu-Baby, 1 on the Phantom.

I did something with the BB for the first time that amazed me. After doing 3 consecutive loops, I actually held it in controlled inverted flight for about 3 or 4 seconds! The only reason it ended is I pulled out of it as I was coming toward myself and was nearly directly overhead.

I did not think this was going to be possible with my set-up.

Plane is 32"WS 6 3/4" chord Dow Styrofoam hot wire cut sort of Clark Y with slight under camber. ( see picture )

Power - GWS EPS-300C/BB A (3.75:1) brushed w/ gearbox.
Prop - GWS EP 8043
Battery - 300 mah 7 cell 8.4V nimh from Firebird Phantom (don't laugh, I get 16 minutes!)
Radio - Futaba 4YF set up as 3 channel Throttle, rudder, elevator.
All Up Weight = 10 ounces.

I thought you needed a zero dihedral, aileron/elevator set-up to do inverted flight. Apparently not.

The first photo exaggerates the dihedral. It is about 1" each wing.
paulo810 is offline Find More Posts by paulo810
Last edited by paulo810; Jan 13, 2008 at 04:00 PM. Reason: to correct chord measurement
Old Jan 13, 2008, 02:59 PM
Joined Sep 2004
2,744 Posts
Wing, dihedral, material, etc............

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulo810
You can't ask for a much better morning in NW Ohio in January than this, gray sky, 34 degrees, 0 to 3 mph winds, no snow, firm well maintained softball infield to take off and land.

I went through 4 batteries, 3 on the Blu-Baby, 1 on the Phantom.

I did something with the BB for the first time that amazed me. After doing 3 consecutive loops, I actually held it in controlled inverted flight for about 3 or 4 seconds! The only reason it ended is I pulled out of it as I was coming toward myself and was nearly directly overhead.

I did not think this was going to be possible with my set-up.

Plane is 32"WS 6 1/2" chord Dow Styrofoam hot wire cut sort of Clark Y with slight under camber. ( see picture )

Power - GWS EPS-300C/BB A (3.75:1) brushed w/ gearbox.
Prop - GWS EP 8043
Battery - 300 mah 7 cell 8.4V nimh from Firebird Phantom (don't laugh, I get 16 minutes!)
Radio - Futaba 4YF set up as 3 channel Throttle, rudder, elevator.
All Up Weight = 10 ounces.

I thought you needed a zero dihedral, aileron/elevator set-up to do inverted flight. Apparently not.

The first photo exaggerates the dihedral. It is about 1" each wing.
There are videos of people on other threads using 3 channel and generous dihedral that fly inverted at SLOW speeds less than 5 ft off the ground; the dihedral makes it MORE DIFFICULT to fly inverted, but not impossible, so you are one of those that apparantly HAS the talent to achieve that-for longer periods of time.

Did you ever tell us more about your wing? My son and I used to hot wire cut wings for Control Line models. But you are doing LOOPS with that wing? did you re-inforce it? did they bend? did you do it WITHOUT struts?

Very interested; and the 32 in size; wow......... tell us about your takeoffs with the 300; how much distance etc.

I love that airfoil.

LarryR : )
LareeRudee is offline Find More Posts by LareeRudee
Old Jan 13, 2008, 03:34 PM
"On the Wing"
Ohio
Joined Jul 2006
757 Posts
Thanks Larry,

Here's my BB story. I downloaded the full page plan and took a copy to a print shop that does blueprints. I had them scale it up so that I ended up with a 32" span including a 2" wide fuselage.

The full size wing chord looked way to big to me so I made it 6 3/4" which looked about right.

The entire plane is made of Dow Styrofoam, no fan fold at all. I did a removable landing gear and snow skis which I posted in the scratchbuilt area.

I chose the Futaba radio because I found a trashed 3D plane in a dumpster that had everything still attached except motor, esc, and battery. Can't remember why I picked the GWS motor/gearbox. The prop is the recommended one for that motor and parkflyer weight.

Basicly, I got lucky. The thing cruises at the lowest throttle setting, so there is plenty of extra power.

In fact, I almost soiled myself on the maiden flight. I decided to ROG and gave it full throttle. Big mistake, it literally went vertical! Had I not had some experience and maintained my cool it would have been a pile of foam within 5 seconds.

It's a great design and my favorite. With proper control it flys very scale including take-offs and landings. Needless to say, consecutive loops and inverted flight may not be "scale" behavior but it's all about the fun factor isn't it?

So, how do you do a roll without ailerons? I have not tried that yet.

The wing amazes me too! It's 3 pieces, a left and right each 15" long with 6 3/4" chord. A 2" center piece ( I used a 2" wide fuselage ). They are hot glued together and re-inforced with clear 3M storage tape on the leading and trailing edges and at the glue joints. No carbon rod or bamboo, no struts. At the thickest point they are a hair over 1/2" thick yet incredibly light. And, yes, the wing does flex a little yet is strong enough that I can hold the plane up by the wing tips.

As stated above, take-offs can be very scale looking with the tail lifting off and then the plane gently lifting off the ground in say 15 feet of I can make it just jump into the air. People stop and watch, especially kids with thier parents. I usually fly at a large park with 2 softball fields and paved walking trails all around the perimiter, a very flight friendly park. Landings are just as cool and very controlable even dead stick, which is usually how I come in.

Again, I'm as amazed as anybody that the wing has not just snapped in half during one of those loops. But, I've been flying that same plane for months, a lot!

If anyone is interested, I'll post a full size template of the wing profile. I use laminate countertop material for my templates.

Long post huh?
Last edited by paulo810; Jan 13, 2008 at 04:14 PM.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 04:25 PM
Joined Sep 2004
2,744 Posts
Long post?

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulo810
Thanks Larry,

Here's my BB story. I downloaded the full page plan and took a copy to a print shop that does blueprints. I had them scale it up so that I ended up with a 32" span including a 2" wide fuselage...................If anyone is interested, I'll post a full size template of the wing profile. I use laminate countertop material for my templates. Long post huh?
Yip, LONG POST [just the way I LIKE IT, ha]........... truly.... nice to hear these stories. I don't think you had ONE UN-necessary word.

Thanks, sure, post the airloil profile........... don't know if I can get my son to "dig out" his hot wire tool. Gonna do a undercamber for sure, tho.

thx,

LarryR : )
LareeRudee is offline Find More Posts by LareeRudee
Old Jan 13, 2008, 05:27 PM
"On the Wing"
Ohio
Joined Jul 2006
757 Posts
Airfoil template

OK here's the template I used to make the Blu-Baby wing with 6 3/4" chord.
See post #2739 for a picture.

I also used this template for the Phantom wing with 5 1/2" chord without modifying the template. It's just cut shorter. Flys great. Go figure!

If you are going to use this airfoil, print the pdf file.

Paul
Last edited by paulo810; Jan 13, 2008 at 05:40 PM.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 06:57 PM
Out the Window
North Central Florida
Joined Jul 2004
1,271 Posts
Ready for Maiden

Well I have finally finished my 42 inch wingspan Blu-Baby with KFm3 wing! It is "all pimped out" and ready to roll! I just had to post a few pictures as it will probably never look this good again, at least with my flying ability. Notice the "chrome wheels". They are from a $1 four wheeler toy from our local Dollar General store. They are very light and for .25 each I just had to give them a try.

I also had fun making a design for the hood of the airplane. It is printed with a inkjet printer on self adhesive label material. It has a couple of coats of clear acrylic sprayed on top for protection. The hood is removable so if it does not work out I will just replace it.

One of the photos show me testing the COG. I worried about this before I put in the electronics and was hand gliding it. I finally gave up and put the electronics in the airplane and got it ready to fly. It looks like the COG is right on at 3.25" back from the center leading edge. Another photo shows the quick way I used to test the COG. I just tied a slip knot in a piece of thread and put it around the rubber bands right over the dot I made where the COG should be. Seemed to work. I think my success with the COG being in the correct location is due to the very well thought out design of Tony. He should write a book on RC aircraft design!

I took it out in our driveway and ran it around on the ground a little. It seemed to want to lift off very quickly, so I am very hopeful about it flying well.

Wish me luck,
Ray
High Flyin' is offline Find More Posts by High Flyin'
Old Jan 13, 2008, 07:13 PM
AKA Don
United States, MI, Houghton Lake
Joined Dec 2002
7,529 Posts
Lookin' good!
bz1mcr is online now Find More Posts by bz1mcr