SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 19, 2007, 11:40 PM
Joined May 2006
2,854 Posts
Yep ! The SS scared me when it jumped up ten feet up in 2 ft. So I was real carefull with the BB but it wanted to fly. When I build a bigger BB it WILL have a EMax 2822 on it. That SS weighs over a pound and that 39 gram motor pulls.

Ken
nubee 1 is offline Find More Posts by nubee 1
to remove ads between posts
Old May 20, 2007, 07:28 AM
You deserve my opinion
Collierville, TN
Joined Apr 2005
1,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamenator
Oh... about that yardwork. Have you considered foamenating your lawn? It's great a little work with the heat gun and some cheap green latex paint and your ready to get back to flying BB's. Bob
Interesting that you would say that. I've always told my wife that my idea of a great yard would be Astroturf without the stripes! Never thot of foamenation!
FirstShirt is offline Find More Posts by FirstShirt
Old May 20, 2007, 07:30 AM
You deserve my opinion
Collierville, TN
Joined Apr 2005
1,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raythomas
I swapped out the SP280 for a IPS-A gws drive with a 9x7 prop.
Using a 860ma thunderpower 2cell lipo,
Has good power, and I reduced the control throws but it wants to seem a bit tail heavy or sorta jerky when I give it up elevator.
How many mm from the leading edge of the wing are you fellows getting CG??
I may have to move my battery slot a tad farther forward.
Thanks Ray
Ray, I think Tony recommends a cg of 2.6 in back from the leading edge of the wing. My BBs fly best when the components are as far forward as I can place them. Pat
Old May 20, 2007, 08:26 AM
I'm not flying backwards!
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Ray, Pat is correct on the CG ...2.6". Glad your BB is flying good, the little IPS will fly forever on that battery.

Pat, congratulations on #3 (like you didn't know it was going to fly?) I think you have now been elevated to the status of Blu-Baby Master Builder.

Ken. Taxi tests? Taxi tests? Did you build a car? Put that baby in the air where it belongs We're looking forward to your flight reports.

Bob, I loved the montage you did for the SE5a. It gives one a real paternal pride. You know, if you can get the wife to agree to pave the lawn, you could us it as a landing strip.

Tony
Tony65x55 is offline Find More Posts by Tony65x55
Old May 20, 2007, 09:34 AM
Joined May 2006
2,854 Posts
Pat
Down in Miami, Fla. in the 60's they used colored gravel for a yard so all the putters had to do was rake it a bit. One guy used brown gravel and it looked like his rocks had dried up & died.

Yes Taxi test. I'm not good enough with a brand new plane to fly inside a circle of trees. I could have done inside the house but I wanted to see how it did in the grass. I moved the gear forward quite a bit to make it removeable. I just had to take it out and play. Maybe when I get used to it I'll be able to fly in a circle of 75 foot tall plane eating trees. All the trees in Tenn. are plane eaters.
Its a hybred type tree that grows anywhere I go to fly.

Ken
nubee 1 is offline Find More Posts by nubee 1
Old May 20, 2007, 10:00 AM
AMA 14680
Northern Nevada
Joined Mar 2007
1,581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nubee 1
Pat
Down in Miami, Fla. in the 60's they used colored gravel for a yard so all the putters had to do was rake it a bit. One guy used brown gravel and it looked like his rocks had dried up & died.

Yes Taxi test. I'm not good enough with a brand new plane to fly inside a circle of trees. I could have done inside the house but I wanted to see how it did in the grass. I moved the gear forward quite a bit to make it removeable. I just had to take it out and play. Maybe when I get used to it I'll be able to fly in a circle of 75 foot tall plane eating trees. All the trees in Tenn. are plane eaters.
Its a hybred type tree that grows anywhere I go to fly.

Ken
Hey Nubee... No need to try to explain trees to Pat. As far a piloting skills go, I'm with you. Almost flew my SE5 Porky between two parked cars doing a high speed taxi test. Have a great trip. Bob
Foamenator is offline Find More Posts by Foamenator
Old May 20, 2007, 08:09 PM
You deserve my opinion
Collierville, TN
Joined Apr 2005
1,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamenator
No need to try to explain trees to Pat. Bob

Aaaaah...I can feel the love!

Old May 20, 2007, 11:35 PM
You deserve my opinion
Collierville, TN
Joined Apr 2005
1,497 Posts
For any Bird Dog fans

Bob, and anyone else who might be interested in the Bird Dog's history,

I was trying to decide how to come up with a tail number on my Bird Dog. I thought about my I.Q. score, but wanted more than two digits.

So, while doing some research on Bird Dog tail numbers, I ran across an amazing article about an Air Force officer, Hilliard Wilbanks. Wilbanks was a Forward Air Controller who flew an unarmed, unarmored Bird Dog during the Viet Nam War.

The short version is that he was awarded the Medal of Honor (the highest U.S. military award given for valor) for turning his Bird Dog into an offensive weapon. He first fired his smoke rockets (intended to mark targets for bombers, gunships, etc.) at the North Vietnamese to slow their advance, then stifled their attack by flying over them (reportedly as low as 100 feet) and firing his M-16 rifle on full automatic out the side window of the Bird Dog!

He was killed in the battle on his fourth pass, but managed to deter the North Vietnamese long enough to allow the US Army troops to reach a safer position, thus saving many lives.

Incredible. Story is at: http://www.afa.org/magazine/march2007/0307battle.asp
Old May 21, 2007, 01:19 AM
I'm not flying backwards!
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Great story!

Tony
Tony65x55 is offline Find More Posts by Tony65x55
Old May 21, 2007, 11:20 AM
AMA 14680
Northern Nevada
Joined Mar 2007
1,581 Posts
Gallant BirdDog Pilot

Pat... Thanks for posting that very inspiring story. Stories like that always make me thankful for our military. Looking forward to the pics of your BB3. Bob
Old May 21, 2007, 04:40 PM
Check my blog-updated
Columbus,Ohio
Joined Nov 2005
2,133 Posts
Delivered the Blu Baby

Well, we finished up the epp blu baby and tested it out and delivered it to our friend. He was thrilled. The pictures below shows the modified radio sent to us by- thatovalguy, here on RCG. What a guy! Helping us modify a radio so our friend could still fly.
Also you will see that this blu-baby has hinged wing struts. Thats right- they are hinged at the top with robart pin hinges and at the bottom they use a quick connect to the body for easy break down. This was an idea by Bugsplatter to use on this build.
Again, thanks Tony for the build and everyone who has contributed to this plane, modified radio, and helping a fellow flyer to get in the air again.
Mayday!Mayday! is offline Find More Posts by Mayday!Mayday!
Old May 21, 2007, 04:51 PM
Check my blog-updated
Columbus,Ohio
Joined Nov 2005
2,133 Posts
Also forgot to mention, he has got to fly the plane and had a ball. The only problem we found is, since he has to sit down, flying over and behind us is not good!
Mayday!Mayday! is offline Find More Posts by Mayday!Mayday!
Old May 21, 2007, 05:05 PM
You deserve my opinion
Collierville, TN
Joined Apr 2005
1,497 Posts
Mayday, Wow, that is so cool it sends chills up my spine! Love what you guys did for your friend. That's awesome!
Old May 21, 2007, 05:13 PM
You deserve my opinion
Collierville, TN
Joined Apr 2005
1,497 Posts
Bob,

Yep, I was blown away by the story of Wilbanks' courage. I'm still thinking about it.

I'll get some pix of my Bird Dog up soon. Still have to finish a couple of graphics details. Thanks so much for the graphics info. That was a huge help.

Keep those planes in the air--and keep up your great sense of humor! We can't let Tony's thread get too serious!

Pat
Old May 21, 2007, 07:30 PM
AMA 14680
Northern Nevada
Joined Mar 2007
1,581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayday!Mayday!
Also forgot to mention, he has got to fly the plane and had a ball. The only problem we found is, since he has to sit down, flying over and behind us is not good!
You guys are the best. No one could have better friends. All of you are role models of the best and finest kind. Thanks for sharing the pics. Bob J.