HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 17, 2007, 05:15 PM
Dismembered Member...
Niagara Falls/Toronto area
Joined Dec 2003
4,536 Posts
Pipe/flashing bending jig courtesy of Carl Vogt: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=51

Scrolling thru that whole thread will give you some ideas on bending airfoils.

Brad
arx_n_sparx is offline Find More Posts by arx_n_sparx
to remove ads between posts
Old May 17, 2007, 05:18 PM
I'm not flying backwards!
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Thanks Brad
Tony65x55 is offline Find More Posts by Tony65x55
Old May 17, 2007, 05:57 PM
Joined May 2006
2,854 Posts
Well maybe the 36" wing I ended up with will be OK. I had bent another one to make up for my 2 1/2" wide fuselage. I guess I can tone it down with an 8X4 prop instead of a 9X4.7 ?
Love the looks of the little plane. Thanks " Lord Monoblock "

Ken
nubee 1 is offline Find More Posts by nubee 1
Old May 17, 2007, 06:05 PM
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Oh Gawd, another one!

Ken, the 36" will work OK too. The BB was designed with oversized stabilizers and control surfaces to make it ROCK solid in the air for beginners and people like me. A couple of inches of wing will make no difference if you have the power to move it through the air... and you do!

I'm glad you like the BB. I'm looking forward to seeing pics of the "Porta-Baby".

Tony
Old May 17, 2007, 06:58 PM
Good glue is evil
melbourne australia
Joined Sep 2003
774 Posts
ray thanks for the info on bending, i like simple
brad thanks for link, good info there

we learn something new everyday 8-)
brucej is offline Find More Posts by brucej
Old May 17, 2007, 07:20 PM
AMA 14680
Northern Nevada
Joined Mar 2007
1,581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony65x55
Wife calls me that all the time. Unfortunately, she's talking about my head.

Tony

Tony... Too funny. At least she calls you something that can be said in public. Bob
Foamenator is offline Find More Posts by Foamenator
Old May 17, 2007, 10:20 PM
KZ RIDER
Confederate States of America
Joined Nov 2001
1,037 Posts
Thanks Brad for finding that link on the pvc bender.
I searched RCG, musta not searched hard enuff.
This is exactely what I was talking about. And yes
it works great.
Thanks Ray

P.S. I want to give Carl credit for the picture I have posted.
I got it from his foto page. Just trying to help others see the bender without having to go to another site to view it. This is Carl's bender not mine. He gets the credit for this one.
raythomas is offline Find More Posts by raythomas
Old May 18, 2007, 07:41 AM
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Thanks for posting this pic up Ray. It saves everyone else the time of looking for it.

Tony
Old May 18, 2007, 03:29 PM
You deserve my opinion
Collierville, TN
Joined Apr 2005
1,497 Posts
Thanks, Ray! That's so simple. Great idea. Pat
FirstShirt is offline Find More Posts by FirstShirt
Old May 18, 2007, 03:48 PM
AMA 14680
Northern Nevada
Joined Mar 2007
1,581 Posts
Babby BB flies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamenator
Thanks Pat... I made the landing gear removeable, knowing the wheels are small that anything but a really smooth surface would cause a nose-over. Dying to know how it's going to fly. I took the wheels off and did a few test glides in the backyard. Glides really nice and looks really cute when it bounces along on its belly. Sooo... tempted to hook up that battery but having learned a good lesson with BB Birddog I tempation was resisted.
Flew Baby BB today. Quite an adrenalin rush. She's got some trim problems to be worked out, namely I don't think the Baby has enough down thrust as any serious power app causes her pitch up to reach for the sky like an Estes rocket. Like her balsa counterpart she is faster than I expected but she glides better than the balsa one. Glides with steady and steep right turn so I got to work that out as well. Now she has three short flights of about 5 mnutes each. She's a winner for sure.

After that excitement, I needed a tranquilizer... fortunately I happen to have the BB Birddog II standing by. Put about 30 more minutes on her. Fun... Fun... Fun on less than 5 bucks of material for two cute little planes . Thanks again Tony
Last edited by Foamenator; May 18, 2007 at 08:29 PM.
Old May 18, 2007, 03:56 PM
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Ooooo, Baby, Baby. Sounds like a great little plane. I see you use the same drug I do LOL.

Tony
Old May 18, 2007, 08:04 PM
Highland Village, TX
Joined Feb 2005
139 Posts
Got the 2d flight on her this evening in near calm conditions ....used the 9070 prop and she flew fine...just needed a couple of clicks of down trim and away she went - not fast, but steady. Even got a few loop-d-loops out of her. Will definitely switch out motors before too long!!

Mike
Will M is offline Find More Posts by Will M
Old May 18, 2007, 08:26 PM
AMA 14680
Northern Nevada
Joined Mar 2007
1,581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will M
Got the 2d flight on her this evening in near calm conditions ....used the 9070 prop and she flew fine...just needed a couple of clicks of down trim and away she went - not fast, but steady. Even got a few loop-d-loops out of her. Will definitely switch out motors before too long!!

Mike
Congrats on the great flight. Luv these planes.

Went into the local hobby shop this afternoon and dork-head clerk was selling a guy a Hobbyzone Supercub, giving him a deal for 169.00. I kinda hung around hoping to talk to the guy buying the plane. I was going to suggest he take a look at this forum and this thread in particular before he made a purchase. Beginners couldn't do better than a BluBaby imho. Bob
Old May 18, 2007, 09:25 PM
KZ RIDER
Confederate States of America
Joined Nov 2001
1,037 Posts
Well I finally got the time to try a second flight on my BB.
I reduced the throws half of what they were on the first try.
Also changed out the J250 for a SP280 dd.
The ole J250 has seen better days and multiple flights.
Anyway the plane flew great, smooth is a good word.
The only problem was a short "very short" flight time because of a weak Lipo combined with the sp280.
Anyway it was enough to see that it is a great plane.
Just need a newer lipo.
Thanks Tony for a winner.
Ray
raythomas is offline Find More Posts by raythomas
Old May 18, 2007, 09:26 PM
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Yea Mike! Slow and steady. That how a BB is supposed to be. It should loop with a little coaxing. Perfect. You could teach anyone to fly with it set up like that.

Bob, isn't it remarkable what passes for a primary trainer? If every beginner could get a properly trimmed Blu-Baby, or GPW's Trainer 1, or STC, or one of Gene Bond's floaters, we would have a lot more people successfully partaking in RC.

Pat has it right. Build a BB and give it away. Keep one for yourself as therapy, but give the others to newbies that need a plane to learn the basics on.

Tony