HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 02, 2007, 04:30 PM
Joined May 2006
2,854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlabrie
7 degrees F this morning, but no wind! I had one good flight on the second, I had a bit of a confrentation with a very large bolder on take-off. Guess who won
David

I can do that.

Ken
nubee 1 is offline Find More Posts by nubee 1
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 02, 2007, 07:56 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Mar 2004
77 Posts
A few more pics of Astro Boy....

Here are a couple more pictures of my friend Ivan's Blu Baby (from http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2139 ).

He has put in quite a few more flights in varying conditions, with total success!
dimadee is offline Find More Posts by dimadee
Old Dec 03, 2007, 08:32 AM
I'm not flying backwards!
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimW
"Jim, I don't think the 1/4" spars will do it but I have some other techniques that will work. What is your wing chord?

Tony"

I'm thinking about 9in. centre 4ft. then tapering to 6in. next 2ft. at tip.

I'm open to suggestions as this is the first plane I have tried to design. I using the dimensions from an old 1974 book called Radio Control Soaring by Dave Hughes.

I don't mean to go off topic but I thought this was the best place to ask about KF wings. I have built your 33in. BluBaby (thanks for the plans) and liked the wing. I haven't got it trimmed right yet, I missed off the tip plates, perhaps that is the trouble, I think it is tip stalling.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Jim
Jim, it can be done. I thought the best way to show you was in a diagram but I got a little carried away. I wasn't trying to design your wing for you but trying to show you spar layouts etc. If you like the design though, I can easily print out the parts listing (tiled or full). Per your spec, the wing comes out at 96" but can be easily increased to 100" if that's your wish. Should fly very nicely although if it were mine, I would increase the tip chord to 7"

RE: your BB. Add the tips, the KFm's like the tips. Theoretically, we think it keeps the vortex stable.

Tony
Tony65x55 is offline Find More Posts by Tony65x55
Old Dec 03, 2007, 08:35 AM
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlabrie
7 degrees F this morning, but no wind! I had one good flight on the second, I had a bit of a confrentation with a very large bolder on take-off. Guess who won
David
David, someone has scattered the darn boulders all over the planet, particularly on our runways (and I want to know who's responsible). Don't sweat it, she's repairable.

Tony
Old Dec 03, 2007, 08:36 AM
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimadee
Here are a couple more pictures of my friend Ivan's Blu Baby (from http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2139 ).

He has put in quite a few more flights in varying conditions, with total success!
Astroboy is sooooo pretty!
Old Dec 03, 2007, 12:54 PM
North Kent, England UK
Joined Jan 2005
301 Posts
Tony,

What can I say, no sooner asked than there it is. Thank you, I'll take it from here.

Jim
JimW is offline Find More Posts by JimW
Old Dec 03, 2007, 05:33 PM
Out the Window
United States, FL, Alachua
Joined Jul 2004
1,297 Posts
42" Blu-Baby questions

While I am waiting on a new Blue Wonder from China to get my Blu-Baby back in the air I am thinking of building one of the 42" BBs with a KFm3 wing. I have a couple of questions before I start.

1 My protection board is 3/16" think, do you think that will be thick enough for the two steps?

2 I used Gorilla Glue to build up the foam monoblock on my last BB and it worked fine. Do you think the Gorilla Glue would be OK to build up the KFm3 wing? Or do you think epoxy would be a better choice? I am not fast enough putting things together and lining them up to use hot glue.

3 I was thinking that maybe a couple of wings. One without ailerons and the other with ailerons, just to experiment a little. How much dihedral would you recommend with or without ailerons.

These questions have probably been answered before, but this thread is getting so long (because the plane is so good) that it is hard to search for answers.

Thanks again,
Ray
High Flyin' is offline Find More Posts by High Flyin'
Old Dec 03, 2007, 05:58 PM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,181 Posts
1. 3/16" is normal.
2. Gorilla Glue is perfect - peel glue surfaces if covered with film.
3. With ailerons = no dihedral(more aerobatic) to 2"(more stable). Without ailerons, 2"-4" dihedral.

If you've never flown ailerons, this is a good plane to learn on.
warhead_71 is offline Find More Posts by warhead_71
Old Dec 03, 2007, 06:44 PM
Joined May 2006
2,854 Posts
I'm working on a set of ski's for my 42" BB 6 MM Depron 10" X 2" and tongue depressers. Got to figure something to limit travel. The ones on my buddys J-3 had cables to limit travel up & down.

Ken Watching it snow
Old Dec 03, 2007, 10:47 PM
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nubee 1
I'm working on a set of ski's for my 42" BB 6 MM Depron 10" X 2" and tongue depressers. Got to figure something to limit travel. The ones on my buddys J-3 had cables to limit travel up & down.

Ken Watching it snow
Use dental floss as cables. Light , cheap and strong. No stretch!Tie each end of the cable from the skis to the top of the LG leg and CA it.

Tony
Old Dec 03, 2007, 10:51 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,929 Posts
Tony: is there a plan view of any of the kfm3 wings in this thread? Actual plane is what I'm thinking of. I have a bb42 ready to put the motor/esc in and have made a uc wing and a kfm 3 wing for it. right now the kmf wing is straight LE and TE, but I want to do the taper on TE. What's the best way to do it when using ailerons? or asked another way, should I make full width ailerons?
springer is offline Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 03, 2007, 10:58 PM
Geaux Saints
Grafton, Il
Joined Nov 2007
1,913 Posts
I'm wondering how a Super Cub rig would work in the 52in. Standard wing to start.
(sans Advanced Crash Tech.)
I have a complete set up.
Would the 480 geared motor handle it? I would think so. I'd have to make a firewall to mount it. Light ply or order the plastic SC firewall.
I would stay with 7 cell NIMH's. Lipos/ charger not in the budget at the moment.
Any suggestions or ideas?
Mike
Hopalong X is offline Find More Posts by Hopalong X
Old Dec 03, 2007, 11:11 PM
Joined May 2006
2,854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony65x55
Use dental floss as cables. Light , cheap and strong. No stretch!Tie each end of the cable from the skis to the top of the LG leg and CA it.

Tony
Great idea I was thinking fishing line which I have none of. Think i'll put several coats of poly on bottom to slick them up. Thanks As usual.

Ken
Old Dec 03, 2007, 11:26 PM
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer
Tony: is there a plan view of any of the kfm3 wings in this thread? Actual plane is what I'm thinking of. I have a bb42 ready to put the motor/esc in and have made a uc wing and a kfm 3 wing for it. right now the kmf wing is straight LE and TE, but I want to do the taper on TE. What's the best way to do it when using ailerons? or asked another way, should I make full width ailerons?
Page 8, post 107 has the wings for the BB42". Full width ailerons are great. Lot's of torque and easy to rig. They are shown on the plans.

Tony
Old Dec 03, 2007, 11:40 PM
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopalong X
I'm wondering how a Super Cub rig would work in the 52in. Standard wing to start.
(sans Advanced Crash Tech.)
I have a complete set up.
Would the 480 geared motor handle it? I would think so. I'd have to make a firewall to mount it. Light ply or order the plastic SC firewall.
I would stay with 7 cell NIMH's. Lipos/ charger not in the budget at the moment.
Any suggestions or ideas?
Mike
Mike, the geared 480 show fly it ok. I would go with the KFm3 wing though. It's easy to make and flies better than the original UC wing.

Tony