SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 16, 2007, 09:07 PM
Highland Village, TX
Joined Feb 2005
139 Posts
Another Maiden

My Blu Baby had her first flight this evening about 6 pm. It was really too windy, about 6-8mph with gusts to 10 or so, but here, waiting for ideal conditions - a calm day - means NO flying!

The first toss and short flight was hairy - lots of violent jerks and moves. Got her down, reduced the throws by half and tried again. She flew fine - no real head way against the wind, but easy to "kite" up and then a shallow dive to gain forward ground. No landing gear because of the grass field. Glides well even in the wind and has sufficient rudder authority...even though mine may need a touch more dihedral.

Set up is a GWS IPS-A, 10x4.7 slow fly prop, BlueBird 303 servos and a Berg 4L Rx - ESC is an old Zagi 15 amp and a 2s 1050 Apogee LiPo. Not sure of the AUW and didn't really check the CG - just flew her. Also, didn't take time to pretty her up - she's just plain old FFF.

Thanks for the great design!!!

Mike
Will M is offline Find More Posts by Will M
to remove ads between posts
Old May 16, 2007, 09:36 PM
AMA 14680
Northern Nevada
Joined Mar 2007
1,581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will M
My Blu Baby had her first flight this evening about 6 pm. It was really too windy, about 6-8mph with gusts to 10 or so, but here, waiting for ideal conditions - a calm day - means NO flying!

The first toss and short flight was hairy - lots of violent jerks and moves. Got her down, reduced the throws by half and tried again. She flew fine - no real head way against the wind, but easy to "kite" up and then a shallow dive to gain forward ground. No landing gear because of the grass field. Glides well even in the wind and has sufficient rudder authority...even though mine may need a touch more dihedral.

Set up is a GWS IPS-A, 10x4.7 slow fly prop, BlueBird 303 servos and a Berg 4L Rx - ESC is an old Zagi 15 amp and a 2s 1050 Apogee LiPo. Not sure of the AUW and didn't really check the CG - just flew her. Also, didn't take time to pretty her up - she's just plain old FFF.

Will Congrats on the maiden. Isn't this an amazing little plane? Tony rules.

Mike
Mike... Congrats on the maiden. Isn't this an amazing little plane? Tony rules... Bob
Foamenator is offline Find More Posts by Foamenator
Old May 16, 2007, 10:08 PM
KZ RIDER
Confederate States of America
Joined Nov 2001
1,037 Posts
Finished my BB tonight after work.
Gotta make it pretty with some markers later.
Built it in 2 nights after work.
I have not had a chance to weigh it yet.
But its really light!!!
Hope the wind isn't blowing thursday evening!!!!
Thanks Ray

P.S. Sorry for the bad pics, they were made with my cell phone.
Thanks for everything Tony
raythomas is offline Find More Posts by raythomas
Old May 16, 2007, 10:12 PM
You deserve my opinion
Collierville, TN
Joined Apr 2005
1,497 Posts
Will, Way to go! Good to hear of your successful maiden! If you have pix, I'd love to see how your plane came out!

Ray, Congratulations! Did you go with the J250? Looking forward to your maiden report!

Pat
FirstShirt is offline Find More Posts by FirstShirt
Old May 16, 2007, 10:17 PM
You deserve my opinion
Collierville, TN
Joined Apr 2005
1,497 Posts
Bob! That is so kind of you to post your graphics with an explanation of how you created them! Can't tell you how much I appreciate that! I like the thought of going "scale like." That's about as far as I'm interested in taking it. My impatience makes it hard to do anything that would really qualify as scale. Thanks to you, I'd like to make BB#3 a Bird Dog. Pat
Old May 16, 2007, 10:20 PM
AMA 14680
Northern Nevada
Joined Mar 2007
1,581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raythomas
But its really light!!!
Thanks Ray

Ray... No problem on the cell phone pics. Good looking BB. Bob
Old May 16, 2007, 10:22 PM
AMA 14680
Northern Nevada
Joined Mar 2007
1,581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstShirt
Bob! That is so kind of you to post your graphics with an explanation of how you created them! Can't tell you how much I appreciate that! I like the thought of going "scale like." That's about as far as I'm interested in taking it. My impatience makes it hard to do anything that would really qualify as scale. Thanks to you, I'd like to make BB#3 a Bird Dog. Pat
Pat.. Glad to do it. A couple more bbdogs and we can have a squadron.
Old May 16, 2007, 10:40 PM
KZ RIDER
Joined Nov 2001
1,037 Posts
Yes its a J250
Hope all goes well.
Thanks Ray
Old May 16, 2007, 11:05 PM
Good glue is evil
melbourne australia
Joined Sep 2003
774 Posts
ray how did you get the wing LE so straight ?
brucej is offline Find More Posts by brucej
Old May 16, 2007, 11:14 PM
KZ RIDER
Joined Nov 2001
1,037 Posts
I don't hand form my blucor wings.
I built a device to roll them around.
Its a piece of 3inch pvc with a sheet of metal roof flashing screwed down the length of the pipe.
I simple cut my wing to size, insert the leadedge into the bender and then slowly roll the blucor up like rolling up a roll of carpet.
It ends up trapping the blucor against the pvc and uses the flashing to hold it in place.
I usually roll about a little over half the chord and then hold it there for a count of ten.
Then unroll and wala, instant blucor wing.
Then I take a heatgun and run over the entire wing, top and bottom to gently sear over or heat temper the plastic covering, this adds alittle stiffness to the wing, without the weight.
Hopes this helps.
Ray
Old May 16, 2007, 11:29 PM
You deserve my opinion
Collierville, TN
Joined Apr 2005
1,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamenator
A couple more bbdogs and we can have a squadron.
Dawn Recon!
Old May 16, 2007, 11:33 PM
You deserve my opinion
Collierville, TN
Joined Apr 2005
1,497 Posts
Ray, Your device for forming the wing sound terrific. So you just insert the edge of the foam under a lip made from the flashing, then roll it? Would you mind posting a picture sometime? I do a lot of wings and that sounds brilliantly simple. Thanks. Pat
Old May 17, 2007, 05:44 AM
United States, OH, Westlake
Joined Mar 2002
4,519 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamenator
All my military numbers and letters are Arial Rounded MT Bold. Arial Narrow will work as well.
That's a nice write-up on creating your own letterings. Thanks!

The Amarillo Font (http://www.dafont.com/font.php?file=amarillo_usaf) is a good one for US planes.

Here's one for German planes ( for anyone making a Storch?)

I learned about these from the very large thread containing decals in the scale forum.

I don't have the link handy, but searching for 'TOG' or ThatOvalGuy's Bird Dog will yield detailed prints for a Bird Dog like Foamenator's that can used for decals too. This color scheme makes a beautiful plane - that was my first foamie.
kdahlhaus is online now Find More Posts by kdahlhaus
Old May 17, 2007, 06:58 AM
I'm not flying backwards!
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will M

Mike

Mike, congrats on your maiden. You got it right, the BB has lots of control authority as she was originally built for indoor flying. Lots of walls, turn quick!

If I may suggest, put a GWS 9070 prop on that drive. Your BB will perform much nicer.

Tony
Tony65x55 is offline Find More Posts by Tony65x55
Old May 17, 2007, 07:02 AM
I'm not flying backwards!
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raythomas
But its really light!!!
Thanks Ray

Ray, you're welcome. She looks fabulous (the pics are fine). I'm really looking forward to seeing your wing rolling device. It sounds perfect, simple and easy.

Good luck with your maiden, watch those control throws.

Tony
Tony65x55 is offline Find More Posts by Tony65x55