HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 16, 2007, 07:11 AM
I'm not flying backwards!
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Of course it will fly but we gotta name it. Let's see, we have the Blu-Baby AP, the Blu-Baby Park, the Blu- Baby and the Blu-Baby Fetus (LOL..HAHAHAHA). Fetus, don't fail me now!! That's a cute BB

Tony
Tony65x55 is offline Find More Posts by Tony65x55
to remove ads between posts
Old May 16, 2007, 07:14 AM
You deserve my opinion
Collierville, TN
Joined Apr 2005
1,497 Posts
Bob, You're having too much fun! Love the Baby Blu-Baby!

I gave away BB#2 to a friend Monday night. You should have seen this guy's eyes light up. It was like watching a kid in a candy store!

He'll need to buy a Tx. I haven't been in the market for one for a long time. Any recommendations on an entry level Tx? He wants something that will he use down the road that will handle more than a simple 3-channel plane.

I found a nice 2" thick piece of charcoal colored packing foam for my next BB. Not sure what you call this stuff, but it's very light and seems like it would be extremely durable.

I think I'm beginning to worry our IT guy. Everytime new equipment comes I go over and look through his trash to see if he has any good "flying foam."

BB#3 will for ME! Gotta have one of these wonderful planes in MY hangar!

Pat
FirstShirt is offline Find More Posts by FirstShirt
Old May 16, 2007, 07:45 AM
Near Aberystwyth - Wales
Joined Aug 2004
2,119 Posts
I thought of Fetus when i wrote my post earlier but did not sound quite right, maybe Blu Baby Embryo would be better or even the Blu Baby Infant.

Still looks great whatever the name.

Del
Del-Dredd is offline Find More Posts by Del-Dredd
Old May 16, 2007, 07:48 AM
Joined May 2006
2,854 Posts
New born
nubee 1 is offline Find More Posts by nubee 1
Old May 16, 2007, 07:49 AM
I'm not flying backwards!
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
You know you're wired when.... Pat, the joy of making BBs is giving them away. You know you're creating a flyer.

TXs range from very inexpensive for a GWS 4 ch or 6 ch up. For a serious radio at a great price the Hitec Optic 6 computer radio is really hard to beat.

Tony
Tony65x55 is offline Find More Posts by Tony65x55
Old May 16, 2007, 07:55 AM
You deserve my opinion
Collierville, TN
Joined Apr 2005
1,497 Posts
Thanks, Tony! That looks like a good Tx at a good price. Pat
Old May 16, 2007, 09:38 AM
New Hampshire-seacoast area
Joined Jun 2005
1,755 Posts
Hey Pat, I have that optic 6 and it's great!
praymond is offline Find More Posts by praymond
Old May 16, 2007, 10:49 AM
Near Aberystwyth - Wales
Joined Aug 2004
2,119 Posts
I got Optic 6 as well, nice radio, bought it to replace my Flash 5 that started flattening batteries for some reason (which I now use with a power supply for my AFPD sim).

Del
Del-Dredd is offline Find More Posts by Del-Dredd
Old May 16, 2007, 11:44 AM
AMA 14680
Northern Nevada
Joined Mar 2007
1,581 Posts
Naming the Baby

Thanks everybody for the comments and name suggestions. I just call her Baby BB. Before I was fomenated, I built a small guy from Backyard Flyer mag. It is the Ord Hume Homebuilt, an all balsa model. AUW for the plane is 5.5 oz. with a ws of 23". Thing is she needs a really big backyard because she flies more like a little P-51 than an old homebuilt. I took the electronics out to build Baby BB. Both planes are similar in size but Baby BB only weighs 3.5 oz. Just goes to show you what you can do with foam to reduce weight. Doesn't look like I will fly it today so I think I'll soak some foamboard and tackle the wings on the P6E which has been severly neglected due to this onset of BluBaby Syndrome. Bob
Foamenator is offline Find More Posts by Foamenator
Old May 16, 2007, 12:44 PM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del-Dredd
I thought of Fetus when i wrote my post earlier but did not sound quite right, maybe Blu Baby Embryo would be better or even the Blu Baby Infant.

Still looks great whatever the name.

Del
Blu Baby Zygote? - what kind of motor would fit on that? Nano electronics?
warhead_71 is offline Find More Posts by warhead_71
Old May 16, 2007, 04:32 PM
You deserve my opinion
Collierville, TN
Joined Apr 2005
1,497 Posts
Guys, thanks for the thoughts on the Optic 6. I've passed that onto my friend.

Bob, That ole timer is a beauty. Amazing that it's such a feisty little plane!

Ahhhh! Blu-Baby syndrome! That's what I have! I've never built three in a row of any kind of plane before. (My ADD would never allow it! ). If there's a cure for BBS, don't tell me about it!

Pat
Old May 16, 2007, 05:31 PM
AMA 14680
Northern Nevada
Joined Mar 2007
1,581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstShirt
Guys, thanks for the thoughts on the Optic 6. I've passed that onto my friend.

Bob, That ole timer is a beauty. Amazing that it's such a feisty little plane!

Ahhhh! Blu-Baby syndrome! That's what I have! I've never built three in a row of any kind of plane before. (My ADD would never allow it! ). If there's a cure for BBS, don't tell me about it!

Pat
Thanks Pat... I made the landing gear removeable, knowing the wheels are small that anything but a really smooth surface would cause a nose-over. Dying to know how it's going to fly. I took the wheels off and did a few test glides in the backyard. Glides really nice and looks really cute when it bounces along on its belly. Sooo... tempted to hook up that battery but having learned a good lesson with BB Birddog I tempation was resisted.
Old May 16, 2007, 07:36 PM
Joined Jul 2006
8 Posts
Bluecor

Tony:

Where did you get your Blucor?

Dow says that the 1/4 inch thick Bluecor, film on both sides, the "old" stuff, has never been available in Canada.

Geff
Geff is offline Find More Posts by Geff
Old May 16, 2007, 09:06 PM
Dismembered Member...
Niagara Falls/Toronto area
Joined Dec 2003
4,536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geff
Tony:

Where did you get your Blucor?

Dow says that the 1/4 inch thick Bluecor, film on both sides, the "old" stuff, has never been available in Canada.

Geff
Geff: As the Taco Bell ad says - make a run for the border....

There are other things you can use as well - whereabouts are you?

Brad
arx_n_sparx is offline Find More Posts by arx_n_sparx
Old May 16, 2007, 09:58 PM
AMA 14680
Northern Nevada
Joined Mar 2007
1,581 Posts
Homemade Graphics

Some of you have asked me about the graphics I made for the Blu Baby. One of the things I lke best about building foamies is the simplisity of everything. The graphics are good examples. Disclaimer: I'm sure there are many other ways to make these graphics more professional and accurate. That is not my goal, my goal is to make a foamie appear scale like... not scale. So here goes:

Step 1. Have a plane in mind and the paint scheme you like for that particular plane. In the case of my Blu Babies I saw a Cessna L-19 Birdog (a plane I am familiar with and had a few hours in back in the day).

Step 2. Since I am using Elmers White foamboard the logical scheme was the white with red trim. I masked off the appropriate red areas and blasted them with red Krylon H20 paint. Small red areas ala the tips of the rudder and elevator are done with red plastic tape that is a fairly close match the the Krylon. For black I use electrical tape. Measure or eyeball the area and tape away.

Step 3. Find the graphics you want to use. Here is a good source:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=359029

Download the largest file you can find and handle. This is important because you can shrink down a larger graphic to fit the size you need but it is often impossible to enlarge a thumbnail enough to make a larger graphic with clear edges.

If you have a scanner, you can scan pictures, etc to get the graphic you want. Another option is to draw your graphic and scan it into Windows Paint Program or some other program. Windows has several options that come in the system that you can use with a little practice. Once you have things the way you want it save it as a bmp, gif, jpeg or what ever you want to work with.

Step 4. Letters and numbers. I use my Microsoft Word program but any text program will work. Choose the largest font available usually 72 or 96. All my military numbers and letters are Arial Rounded MT Bold. Arial Narrow will work as well. Type of the numbers. On the BB Birdog 14680 is my AMA membership number. I simply put a text box on my word page without line borders and typed them out. The "US Army" text on the wings is 10 inches long by 3 inces high. None on my programs will print text that large so I printed the out in 72 font bold as possible, scanned them into a jpeg picture, imported the picture into my word program and stretched the out to the size I needed.

Step 5. Print them out. Since the BB Birdog is white I simply printed the large stars and bars out on white paper, cut them out and glue sticked them on. For my purposes you can't tell them from a decal. The large numbers and the "U.S. Army" on the wing and the other numbers are printed on Avery full page shipping label material (Avery 18655) . To do this simply import all the graphics pictures into a text program to get as many images on a page as practical. Print out a test page using the lowest quality (draft black and white mode) and check your sizes to make sure they fit what you are doing. Put your label sheet in your printer and select best quality for your color and fire away. Cut em out and paste away. You will be amazed. Hope this helps and if you have any questions, I'm glad to help. Bob

P.S. Thanks to all of you who have helped and encouraged me. You all are great.
Last edited by Foamenator; May 17, 2007 at 11:45 AM.