HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:21 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,688 Posts
Thats the nice thing about a throttle. You can always slow it down.

Ken
dz1sfb is offline Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 24, 2012, 02:47 AM
United States, FL, Key Largo
Joined Apr 2011
147 Posts
what size would i need to build the bb, with a park 480 and 10x7 prop?
minegun2 is offline Find More Posts by minegun2
Old Dec 24, 2012, 07:25 AM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by minegun2 View Post
what size would i need to build the bb, with a park 480 and 10x7 prop?
With that much power, nothing less than 42", but really you could go up to 60", and I'm not talking the AP version. I mean scaled up.

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 24, 2012, 07:59 PM
United States, FL, Key Largo
Joined Apr 2011
147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dz1sfb View Post
With that much power, nothing less than 42", but really you could go up to 60", and I'm not talking the AP version. I mean scaled up.

Ken
can u give me a link to the pds for thoes two? and whats the diffrence between the ap1 and ap2 and the other 42 inch?
minegun2 is offline Find More Posts by minegun2
Last edited by minegun2; Dec 24, 2012 at 08:14 PM.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 07:33 PM
I ask a lot of questions.
Canada, AB, Airdrie
Joined Aug 2012
211 Posts
subscribed (so I can find it again)

Disco Stew is offline Find More Posts by Disco Stew
Old Dec 27, 2012, 09:43 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by minegun2 View Post
can u give me a link to the pds for thoes two? and whats the diffrence between the ap1 and ap2 and the other 42 inch?
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=107

Check the plans for differences. AP2 is more compactable. Fits into a case. Had the priviledge of flying Tony's bird.

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 04, 2013, 04:01 PM
The earth sucks! Thankfully.
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Jun 2003
438 Posts
Hi:

Has anyone lengthened the Blue Baby's fuselage aft of the wing (the tail moment)?

-Jim
JimHSoars is offline Find More Posts by JimHSoars
Old Jan 04, 2013, 07:03 PM
More coffee, please!
Austria, Wien, Vienna
Joined Jul 2011
658 Posts
Do you think there is a need for it? My bb42 is very stable and responsive with the standard settings, both laterally as well as longitudinally.
sir_clive is offline Find More Posts by sir_clive
Old Jan 04, 2013, 09:25 PM
RC Adddict
Canada, BC, Williams Lake
Joined Jan 2010
4,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimHSoars View Post
Hi:

Has anyone lengthened the Blue Baby's fuselage aft of the wing (the tail moment)?

-Jim
Would be hard to get the CG right if one did
Wilfor is offline Find More Posts by Wilfor
Old Jan 05, 2013, 01:06 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,999 Posts
Quote:
Hi:

-Jim
Yes, I have. What I did was lengthen the nose also. Add 1 inch, to 1 1/2 inch to the nose and then 1 1/2 inch, to 2 inch to the tail moment. By placing gear forward in the under wing compartment, and the ESC in a channel in the mono-block, I did not have trouble with balance. Keep pushrods thin and light by placing .032" (0.8mm) rods in cocktail straw guide tubes helps.

Yes the fly good this way, a bit less twitchy and yer still ultra manuverable.

Fred
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
Old Jan 05, 2013, 01:31 PM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,940 Posts
Quote:
Hi:

-Jim
You know, I thought of this....but the horizontal stabilizer is so large the tail volume is still quite adequate - and it flies that way. But it would look less stubby with longer moments (and smaller horizontal). I certainly wouldn't call it "twitchy" - at least the original 33 incher (which is the only one I've flown). It's my go-to plane to buddy box a complete neophyte.
BEC is online now Find More Posts by BEC
Old Jan 05, 2013, 01:59 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,999 Posts
I have built multiple BB 33's over the last 3 years or so. Also been scratch building and flying most of my life (about 50 years????)

If you give your BB some extreme 20-30 degree throws, it can be twitchy, especially since it is Short Coupled, AND has a shotr wingspan. But I like mine that way. Short coupled, and a short and wide wingspan is all an important part of the design, and thousands of users have had so much fun and success with it.

I can snap roll mine with rudder/elevator only. It happens so fast and in about 2 or 3 airplane lengths of flight doing it! But with the high wing, the pendulum effect when self righting is a definite "twitchy' recovery. Turn up your control throws and experiance a lot more fun! Watch adding floats if you do because when it self rights out of a sharp banking turn, it will swing the undercarriage the opposite direction coming out of the turn!

Any short coupled airplane witll fly a bit more tame with a longer moment, and often a longer and thinner wing is recommended. You could also shrink the tail section sizes, but then we start to come up with a complete re-design. Keep it simple, but nothing is hurt by some small adjustments.

Fred
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
Old Jan 05, 2013, 05:57 PM
The earth sucks! Thankfully.
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Jun 2003
438 Posts
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC View Post
You know, I thought of this....but the horizontal stabilizer is so large the tail volume is still quite adequate - and it flies that way. But it would look less stubby with longer moments (and smaller horizontal). I certainly wouldn't call it "twitchy" - at least the original 33 incher (which is the only one I've flown). It's my go-to plane to buddy box a complete neophyte.
I wondered about this because I have seen so many videos with the BB33 porposing. From all of your responses the problem is solved by limited control throws.

- Jim
JimHSoars is offline Find More Posts by JimHSoars
Old Jan 05, 2013, 06:34 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,688 Posts
Quote:
Hi:

-Jim
Jim,
This was the basis for the Oshkosh Special. Started with a Blu-Baby 33. Moved the vertical stabilizer/rudder assembly back 1.5" and stretched the wingspan to 40". Though this does not lengthen the moment between the horizontal stab and wing, it did give much nicer control harmony between the rudder and roll response.

Ken

RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 05, 2013, 07:35 PM
Joined Jul 2012
5 Posts
hi all,

I have the following two motors, turnigy 2213 1050kv and a turnigy 2826 2200kv
i also have 3s 2200 mah batterys and 6x4 and 10x4.7 props.

would these be ok for a blu baby, and if so which size, 33 or 42. i'd prefer 33 if possible.

cheers
Moray
CyberSprite is offline Find More Posts by CyberSprite