7,588 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panoramix View Post
For reference, I have a
  • 10 amps ESC,
  • a bluewonder 1300kv motor,
  • a 8x3.8 propeller
  • a 1100mAh 20C battery.

This is probably way over the top in term of power, battery lasts at very least 15 minutes (so that's 4.4 amps average)
Full sized BB?
and 2S battery?= really nice sport flyer

3S battery and that combination= wild power (but really fun!)
bz1mcr is offline Find More Posts by bz1mcr
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2012, 10:38 AM
AKA Don
United States, MI, Houghton Lake
Joined Dec 2002
7,588 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackerbes View Post
JohnsPop wrote:

Wait! Don't you want to get into the contest to see who can devote the most time and attention to making a silk purse out of a sow's ear? That seems to be view that some have of us guys that will buy $8 worth or wire so that they can rewind at $6 motor.

Welcome to my addiction...

Jack
Jack if you have the addiction....you should know I sell wire to rewind these little motors for $1. That helps with the economics, but you will have to deal with the sore fingers and time needed. Hey, it is a hobby
bz1mcr is offline Find More Posts by bz1mcr
Old Oct 03, 2012, 11:16 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panoramix View Post
For reference, I have a
  • 10 amps ESC,
  • a bluewonder 1300kv motor,
  • a 8x3.8 propeller
  • a 1100mAh 20C battery.

This is probably way over the top in term of power, battery lasts at very least 15 minutes (so that's 4.4 amps average)
Sounds like everything is OK on the power system. That would be pulling about 5A on 2S and 8A on 3S if you are flying at full throttle. So I am guessing you are using a 2S battery.

If the 8 x 3.8 is an APC prop you are probably not pushing the RPM limits on the ESC either. A 2S pack would put the max RPM up around 7,000 RPM at the most. Most ESCs can handle that with the default timing settings.

Do you know if your ESC is set to default settings? If your ESC has timing and PWM frequency settings and those have been changed it could be a factor. But if it was that, you would see it only at higher RPM and probably every time you got to that RPM.

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
Old Oct 03, 2012, 03:14 PM
Cheese eating monkey.
France, Bretagne, Rennes
Joined Jul 2011
257 Posts
I am on 3S ( I think 20C) and the ESC is on the lowest setting for timing which is the default. It is very well powered and on the first video, I was probably at less than half throttle all the time. Propless, the motor runs much faster.

I will probably have a look at it tomorrow.
Panoramix is online now Find More Posts by Panoramix
Old Oct 04, 2012, 02:38 PM
Cheese eating monkey.
France, Bretagne, Rennes
Joined Jul 2011
257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bz1mcr View Post
That is almost certianly an electrical problem caused by a bad connection or arching between motor leads. Arching is most likely. Darken the room and look at the wires from the esc to the motor. Watch closely near the ends of heat shrink and bullet connectors. A tiny bare spot close to another wire will allow an arch which will cause the motor to stutter. Check each motor lead and each connection. Look for any cuts in the insulation. Reheat all solder joints and apply heat shrink 4mm onto the insulation on each side of the joints. If you have bullet connectors look for any bare metal showing. Seperate all bullets from each other.
A* for the diagnosis, it was the bullets connectors.

I had a look in a darkish room and indeed saw some tiny sparks. I had two problems, bare metal showing and one of the bullet connectors wasn't pushed to the end.

Thank you.
Panoramix is online now Find More Posts by Panoramix
Last edited by Panoramix; Oct 04, 2012 at 04:04 PM.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 11:07 AM
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined Oct 2012
37 Posts
Well I'm very late to this party but I'm glad I showed up.

I downloaded the BB plans a week or two ago thinking it would be a fun project with my youngest son. I had no idea how right I was! He's only 12 so some of the cuts he made weren't perfect. Mine weren't much better but between us we put the 33 inch version together and then flew it this past weekend.

What a great flyer. Everything that's been said about this plan even applies to one that isn't quite square and has a droopy horizontal stabilizer. We flew and flew, then went home and charged all the batteries then flew and flew again. What a confidence booster for my son. He owned the field with that plane. ROG take offs, tight loops, precise float-in landings he did them all.

A huge thanks to all of you for your posts and past discussions. There is a gold mine of information here and it is very much appreciated.
bloviationator is offline Find More Posts by bloviationator
Old Oct 08, 2012, 11:12 AM
LaGrange, GA
Joined Jun 2009
1,817 Posts
Congratulations Bloviationator! Glad you and your son had a blast!
JohnsPop is offline Find More Posts by JohnsPop
Old Oct 09, 2012, 03:53 PM
The earth sucks! Thankfully.
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Jun 2003
423 Posts
Turnigy 2205/22

I have a Turnigy 2205/22 I got from BEC a while back to use on a Blu Baby and I'm just now getting around to using it. I don't know its Kv constant and am looking for advice on what prop to start with.

Here's a picture:

Name: IMG_0447.JPG
Views: 65
Size: 78.1 KB
Description: Turnigy 2205/22

TIA
- Jim
JimHSoars is offline Find More Posts by JimHSoars
Last edited by JimHSoars; Oct 10, 2012 at 05:15 PM.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 05:21 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,668 Posts
Well, it's either a 1088 or 1500kv. For the first they recommend an 9x4 and for the second a8x4. It's a 30 gm motor. But it depends on how you want to fly. I would probably go with a higher pitch prop if on 2s like an 8x6sf and check amp draw.
springer is online now Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 09, 2012, 06:37 PM
Emress
United States, SD, Rapid City
Joined Nov 2011
1,936 Posts
my guess would be neither: http://shop-online.jp/kob/index.php?...4121e0d987fd87

it wouldnt be a (1088kv)50turn or (1500kv)34 turn as those are 2205/50 and 2205/34
sirbow2 is offline Find More Posts by sirbow2
Old Oct 09, 2012, 09:11 PM
United States, NC, Greensboro
Joined May 2011
39 Posts
Hi folks--

Building my 3rd BB33 tonight to take up to Cleveland so my FIL and I can fly two of them this weekend, if the wind dies down...

As others seem to have discovered, the blue wonder motors are a great match for the 33. I'm using HURC 2712-12 motors on a variety of props. They do fine, but whistle like CRAZY once on the plane. They seem to run nearly silently until I mount them on the plane...

Has anybody else noticed this behavior, and do any of you have any tricks to get the thing to operate a bit more quietly?

Mike
EightOhMike is offline Find More Posts by EightOhMike
Old Oct 09, 2012, 09:14 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,957 Posts
I'd be surprised to find that those /50 and /34 numbers are the turn counts on the motors. I've never seen or heard of a 22mm stator with turn counts that are that high. There is just not enough room there and if there was the kV would be very low.

I think this is an older motor, like maybe even 5 years or more old...

The motor the question is about is not of the same family of motors as those either, it does not look the same as the 2205/34 or 50. It is marked Turnigy E-Drive BL 2205/22

It may be the motor that is in this video, not info on the motor and it cannot be seen well enough to tell:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...aa831d00b9ffbc

The comment on the video says this about props on the motor in the video:

"..Description: E-drive provided great power option on this 48" powered wing. I am running a 3s rhino 2100 mah 25c pack with an APC 8X4 E prop in the video. ESC is the old Turnigy eco 30 amp esc... a very nice set up . . great power, nice speed. I have also pushed this set up to an 8X6 APC e prop with favorable results, mild heat at the end of a flight but not thot. Better speed too..."

Run it up with a 7 x 4 if it does not get hot try an 8 x 6, then a 9 x something, etc. If it gets hot after 15 seconds or so of full throttle, back off on the pitch and size.

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
Old Oct 09, 2012, 11:05 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2012
30 Posts
Hey guys, I am planning to build a 42" BluBaby and thought I should seek some expert advice. I am on a severe budget, however, and already have some gear to use.
This 20A ESC
This 1800mah 2S lipo
So the only real things I need are a motor, prop, and servos. I am planning to buy these 9g servos and a Blue Wonder 1500Kv. Can you recommend a prop and motor? Thanks.
Chattercoma is offline Find More Posts by Chattercoma
Old Oct 09, 2012, 11:13 PM
Emress
United States, SD, Rapid City
Joined Nov 2011
1,936 Posts
a blue wonder might be a bit weak as BB42s are commonly 400-600g? right? the BW 1500kv only gets 400g thrust with 3s. you have 2s.

mine is 942g but it is meant to be heavy for wind fighting and uses a 20-22l, 2200mah 3s and 10x4.5 prop = ~1000g+ thrust.

buuuuut... im not an expert
sirbow2 is offline Find More Posts by sirbow2
Old Oct 10, 2012, 07:01 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2012
30 Posts
Sorry but that hacker motor at $55 is a little on the expensive side. What about this one?
Chattercoma is offline Find More Posts by Chattercoma