HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 29, 2012, 04:45 PM
The earth sucks! Thankfully.
Joined Jun 2003
411 Posts
KFM 1, 2, 3 Wings - Easy or Sport?

Hi Guys:

Which of the three KFm foil wings is the most gentle for use as a trainer of the three KFm wings, KFm1, KFm2 or KFm3?

TIA
- Jim
JimHSoars is offline Find More Posts by JimHSoars
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 29, 2012, 06:32 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimHSoars View Post
Hi Guys:

Which of the three KFm foil wings is the most gentle for use as a trainer of the three KFm wings, KFm1, KFm2 or KFm3?

TIA
- Jim
I would say KFm2. The KFm1 would be as good and I would let the choice come down whether or not there was a good reason to have the step on the top or the bottom.

But the main distinction for a trainer would be the amount of dihedral and whether or not you had ailerons. If you build a KFm2 with 1-1/2" or dihedral at each tip, that would be about as good a training wing as you could have.

Someone will chirp in that the under cambered (UC) wings are better wings for trainers I would remind them to read the question again...

And I think, all things considered (indoors, outdoors, slight breezes, strength and survivability of the wing, etc.) the KFm2 is a better choice than a UC wing too.

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by jackerbes; Sep 30, 2012 at 08:15 AM.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 06:44 PM
Not always grumpy!!
UK, Eastleigh, Eastleigh
Joined Jul 2010
378 Posts
my first scratch build and sucessful flight, was commited with a Kfm3

i was acomplete noob at flight, and after a short pratice on the computer, i took off with my Kfm3 winged BB, and it was stable, slow, and offered tremendous lift. And exceptional wing in my mind. one i would recommend,

but, with the outstanding sucess of the BB, any of the Kfm wings have been proven to be fantastic with this exceptionally well designed and time tested trainer
insomaniac45 is online now Find More Posts by insomaniac45
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Maniacs Models
Old Sep 30, 2012, 05:05 PM
Cheese eating monkey.
France, Bretagne, Rennes
Joined Jul 2011
202 Posts
I had built my blu baby last year Christmas time. It flew several times but I folded a wing 4 months ago, life got in the way and it was grounded for 4 months!

The remaiden of the blu baby:

Blu baby 33 (0 min 59 sec)

My motor started acting funnily, I hope it's not broken. It runs normally and then suddenly starts to vibrates and sometimes even stops!
Panoramix is offline Find More Posts by Panoramix
Old Sep 30, 2012, 05:47 PM
More coffee, please!
Austria, Wien, Vienna
Joined Jul 2011
622 Posts
the one time I had my motor (also on a bb) show such symptoms, it turned out that rear ball bearing broke. in flight, with balanced prop. you might want to check the bearings.
sir_clive is offline Find More Posts by sir_clive
Old Sep 30, 2012, 07:00 PM
Medicinal Foam User
150 mile house B.C. Canada
Joined Jan 2010
3,911 Posts
Depends what you call vibrate . you could have a timing issue and need to try setting it to high . It can make a screeching sound and stop if timing isnt set .
Wilfor is online now Find More Posts by Wilfor
Old Sep 30, 2012, 07:08 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panoramix View Post
..<snip>...
My motor started acting funnily, I hope it's not broken. It runs normally and then suddenly starts to vibrates and sometimes even stops!
Watch out, it sounds like a intermittent connection. Could be at a connector or a broken wire that is making and breaking. If you persist on running the motor and the short takes the worst turn you can wind up killing your ESC too.

Get the motor running at it's lowest RPM and then wiggle the wires at the connection points and motor entry points. But quit as soon as you find it.

Congrats on the re-maiden, persistence pays in the long run!

Jack
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 01, 2012, 07:07 AM
Cheese eating monkey.
France, Bretagne, Rennes
Joined Jul 2011
202 Posts
Thanks all for the support, I will try to troubleshoot the motor, I suppose that I should video it to show you.

I got lambasted on a French forum saying that it was irresponsible to fly in a public place like this one. I see myself as a rather prudent person and didn't feel that I was reckless at the time. There is no prohibition on the flying of RC planes in this park, I flew low on purpose so that in the event of loss of control, gravity would do its work expediently and was always cautious not to be close to the public. Do you think that my flying was safe? Are the guys on the French forum reasonable or just grumpy people?
Old Oct 01, 2012, 07:11 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,313 Posts
Some people are silly...

Jack
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 01, 2012, 09:49 AM
More coffee, please!
Austria, Wien, Vienna
Joined Jul 2011
622 Posts
well, the place you were flying was very nice indeed, but I don't think I'd dare to fly there. there was a little kid in front of the camera at one point, you can never know when a kid will decide to sprint into the propeller. ar least with my kids it's so.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 10:03 AM
Medicinal Foam User
Joined Jan 2010
3,911 Posts
I saw the same kid hanging off dads leg as he flew his plane . For something like a 33" blubaby as long as it is vacated i dont see a problem with your field . If you get into larger and faster planes then i would look for somewhere without the footpaths on either side as this makes for to many ways for someone to enter your flying circuit . I feel you were flying in a safe manner
Old Oct 01, 2012, 10:18 AM
Cheese eating monkey.
France, Bretagne, Rennes
Joined Jul 2011
202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_clive View Post
well, the place you were flying was very nice indeed, but I don't think I'd dare to fly there. there was a little kid in front of the camera at one point, you can never know when a kid will decide to sprint into the propeller. ar least with my kids it's so.

The young kid is my young daughter, who was initially with her eldest sister who was filming. They were instructed not to go on the field which they didn't do. I forgot to say no hanging off daddy's leg but that was OK as she wasn't trying to move me around!
Old Oct 01, 2012, 10:28 AM
More coffee, please!
Austria, Wien, Vienna
Joined Jul 2011
622 Posts
well in that case... who am I to say things anyway, i almost killed my three kids with a cp helicopter.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 02:23 PM
Medicinal Foam User
Joined Jan 2010
3,911 Posts
LOL helis are a whole nother thing . flying right in front with that big spinny thing on top they dont glide to safety
Old Oct 01, 2012, 02:26 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_clive View Post
well in that case... who am I to say things anyway, i almost killed my three kids with a cp helicopter.
This is NOT GOOD. I saw a photo of a pilot that took his own head off with a 90 size Heli while hovering close in. He was alone and it was determined aftermath that he simply messed up.
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B