SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 09, 2012, 09:29 AM
Danish? Don't U eat that??
Denmark
Joined Jan 2008
242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTTOFLYS View Post
Clive what exactly is carton strapping? It looks like it works well, but I guess I'm not understanding what it is really.
From the picture in clive's post I have a hunch it's the plastic ribbons used to close up heavy duty cardboard boxes and secure them and similar light and medium weight goods to pallets:

DKChris is offline Find More Posts by DKChris
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 09, 2012, 10:23 AM
United States, MI, Hillsdale
Joined Apr 2008
633 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKChris View Post
From the picture in clive's post I have a hunch it's the plastic ribbons used to close up heavy duty cardboard boxes and secure them and similar light and medium weight goods to pallets:

I've used those before on the bottom of planes as skids to land on. Its a very strong material in tension, but not in compression so it has to be used correctly. Its free though so that is an attraction!
Patric
PatricMichigan is online now Find More Posts by PatricMichigan
Old Mar 09, 2012, 10:53 AM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.michael.2468 View Post
another thing I'm wondering about is my weight ratio to thrust, my plane seems really sluggish compared to the videos i've seen... it weights 10oz total, should i try to shave some weight? thrust is about 11oz... it definitely flies but it doesn't lift off as quick as other ones... is it harder to learn with a plane like this?
The weight is pretty good for a 32" BB. Thrust is not everything, but it helps. Potential speed can make a huge differance. Sometimes the propeller we chose is not the best for the type of airplane or flying style. Maybe we should look into your prop choice and pitch speed to see if you are getting enough airspeed. You can stall an airplane that has ton's of thrust, but doesn't fly fast enough for the wing to be effective.

Fred
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
Old Mar 09, 2012, 12:06 PM
9W2DLR
Malaysia, Pahang, Temerloh
Joined Nov 2011
2,328 Posts
What is the thickness of the foam you guys used for the plane? 6mm?3mm?
skellator is offline Find More Posts by skellator
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 09, 2012, 12:14 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skellator View Post
What is the thickness of the foam you guys used for the plane? 6mm?3mm?
The original using Blue fff (fan fold foam) is more like 5.5 mm extruded polystyrene. If I use Depron it would be 6mm, Dollar Tree foam 5mm, and yes, 3mm Depron would work, but you would need to reinforce greatly, adding weight.

It is of great value to read through the first part of the thread, checking on many links provided for specific questions. I think a fine job was done to identify which link explains what. BECAUSE if you try to read this whole thread you will spend a whole bunch of time not building (but it is good reading).

Fred
Old Mar 09, 2012, 01:57 PM
Grand Rapids MI.
Joined Feb 2011
404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddie B View Post
The weight is pretty good for a 32" BB. Thrust is not everything, but it helps. Potential speed can make a huge differance. Sometimes the propeller we chose is not the best for the type of airplane or flying style. Maybe we should look into your prop choice and pitch speed to see if you are getting enough airspeed. You can stall an airplane that has ton's of thrust, but doesn't fly fast enough for the wing to be effective.

Fred
Michael
This is a handy calculator tool I use to find a start point. Its not 100% accurate but it will give you an idea of what type of settup you might want. Make sure you pick the correct battery your going to use. Also if your particular motor isn't listed, search the web and find the closest thing to what you've got.
OttO
OTTOFLYS is offline Find More Posts by OTTOFLYS
Old Mar 09, 2012, 02:04 PM
Grand Rapids MI.
Joined Feb 2011
404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKChris View Post

Good thinking I may have to try that.
I was thinking bout trying adhesive mesh drywall tape and laminating between the layers of foam in a Kfm wing
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...1&keyword=mesh tape&storeId=10051
Old Mar 09, 2012, 02:06 PM
More coffee, please!
Austria, Wien, Vienna
Joined Jul 2011
659 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatricMichigan View Post
I've used those before on the bottom of planes as skids to land on. Its a very strong material in tension, but not in compression so it has to be used correctly. Its free though so that is an attraction!
Patric
correct, this is what I meant. they seem to come in different thickness, I experimented with rather thin ones.

gotta go, repairing my bb right now.
sir_clive is offline Find More Posts by sir_clive
Old Mar 09, 2012, 07:43 PM
new kid on the block
United States, IL, Roscoe
Joined Nov 2011
374 Posts
hmm well thats new to me... I'm using a 9x5 prop and this motor http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...ushless/Detail its running at 1300kv... it recommended a 9x5 prop but should i have picked a different one?
mr.michael.2468 is offline Find More Posts by mr.michael.2468
Old Mar 09, 2012, 08:20 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTTOFLYS View Post
Good thinking I may have to try that.
I was thinking bout trying adhesive mesh drywall tape and laminating between the layers of foam in a Kfm wing
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...1&keyword=mesh tape&storeId=10051
I tried the Mesh tape between foam. Then I stress tested a few panels. Seems they both bent and even cracked under the same forces (with and without). The mesh would prevent seperation if the panel tore completely, but did not seem to help one bit. I think the mesh tape would have to be stretched and held under tension until the glue set. Somewhat worthless.

Some one reporeted using it as an external covering with white glue, but I wouldn't try that because for me it is too rough to be useful.

If your results were to vary, i'd love to hear about it.
Old Mar 09, 2012, 10:23 PM
Grand Rapids MI.
Joined Feb 2011
404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.michael.2468 View Post
hmm well thats new to me... I'm using a 9x5 prop and this motor http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...ushless/Detail its running at 1300kv... it recommended a 9x5 prop but should i have picked a different one?
I have not bought anything from headsup but intent to, looks like some quality stuff!
I tried looking back a few pages but couldn't find your build info so I'll ask. Are you running it on 2 or 3s battery? (after looking) It looks as though a 9*5 would give it plenty of power on 3s. If your on 2s a 10*4.3 or 4.7 would probably be best. its entirely up to you of coarse, my 2 cents: props are cheap. So experiment a bit, but of coarse let us know what you find
Old Mar 09, 2012, 10:33 PM
9W2DLR
Malaysia, Pahang, Temerloh
Joined Nov 2011
2,328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddie B View Post
The original using Blue fff (fan fold foam) is more like 5.5 mm extruded polystyrene. If I use Depron it would be 6mm, Dollar Tree foam 5mm, and yes, 3mm Depron would work, but you would need to reinforce greatly, adding weight.

It is of great value to read through the first part of the thread, checking on many links provided for specific questions. I think a fine job was done to identify which link explains what. BECAUSE if you try to read this whole thread you will spend a whole bunch of time not building (but it is good reading).

Fred
thanks i know the foam commonly used but since those thing does not exist in my country (we only get easy access to depron)
skellator is offline Find More Posts by skellator
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 11, 2012, 01:25 AM
new kid on the block
United States, IL, Roscoe
Joined Nov 2011
374 Posts
yeah im running 2s... would stepping up to a 3s do the trick? i was really going for a super slow flyer... i just want a flippin sail boat to learn with... i think my biggest problems is my super cheap wheels i made... i cant really do a ground start with em at the moment, so every time its a toss which ends with me fumbling with the controls and the plane slamming into the ground. good thing a bought a bottle of high strength CA glue the props are still good after being glued lol.

once i get this mess cleaned up i'm going to make a fool proof guide to the blue baby, or more like a compilation of everything in one spot. make it easy for the newer-new guys
mr.michael.2468 is offline Find More Posts by mr.michael.2468
Old Mar 11, 2012, 05:03 AM
"Fly, yes... Land, No"
United States, CA, Santa Cruz
Joined May 2005
1,333 Posts
Got mine all done but have yet to get it in the air. Went to test fly it only to have the wheels get stuck on something, the thing nosed over and busted the motor off the plane >_< Didn't even make 1" from its starting point.
OutcastZeroOne is offline Find More Posts by OutcastZeroOne
Old Mar 11, 2012, 12:05 PM
Grand Rapids MI.
Joined Feb 2011
404 Posts
sorry to hear about the maiden of your BB Outcast.
hey in your third pic I noticed (what I believe is) the tail skid under the elevator. Is it just an optical illusion in the picture or does it stick straight out the tail? Just looks like your not going to have any downward throw on the elevator. Maybe just my eyes or the pic but if not it may cause some issues.