HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 02, 2012, 01:44 AM
Depron Daz
United Kingdom, England, Basingstoke
Joined Feb 2012
1,114 Posts
I posted the electronic bits just above.
Daz393 is offline Find More Posts by Daz393
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 02, 2012, 09:46 AM
North of Lake Pontchartrain
Joined Jan 2006
233 Posts
Daz,
Are you SURE its a 5/8" dia. dowel for your wing bands? ....thats what we keep our bamboo
chopsticks (yes, the ones that come with sushi) for. you can leave the soy sauce stains on
(adds a little "patina") or cut or sand them off. Enough comes with each sushi order for one
BB build.
Now... lets try to build a mentor network ! OK? Its SO MUCH EASIER to do these builds if one has a mentor! 2 FOLD ! 1. Mentors keep each other focused and on track till the build is complete! 2. The combined minds and creative juices work out problems and come up with new innovations and developments !!
Everyone ! On your blog or registration put approximately where you are located so you can link up with someone in your area to build and fly with. SO MUCH EASIER !!
Plus ,of course , keep up on this thread to share successes, failures , vids and innovations,
Thanks all for everything
ol wes
wgoostrey is offline Find More Posts by wgoostrey
Old Mar 02, 2012, 09:54 AM
Danish? Don't U eat that??
Denmark
Joined Jan 2008
219 Posts
BB bigger than 60" ??

Hi - looking for model for club competitions etc.; the local comptitions mostly have a requirement for a 1kg minimum AUW, so maybe something at appr. 1.5kg~50oz, and I myself would like something highwing and floaty with flaps; had my eye on the multiplex funcub, but then I ran across this thread........a large blu-baby might be just the thing!

I've searched my way to a single post claiming a possible AUW for a BBAP1 60" of 30 oz, which is a bit on the light side, and I must admit I haven't looked further just yet, as it'll take quite some time to work through the 18k+ posts....whew!!

So i'd like to ask if anyone has an idea to how much they would guess I can scale up the 60" plan with flaps without it getting too floppy when made from the same thickness materials; ok, maybe the monoblock would profit form a little extra width, and the spar would be higher, but about same gauge materials other than that? 80" ? Thats a big plane!

Or should i go the other way and maybe just build the 60" from thicker materials=heavier?

The funcub is around 40oz AUW at 56", and already quite a floater.
DKChris is offline Find More Posts by DKChris
Old Mar 02, 2012, 10:08 AM
rcflyer
UK
Joined Jun 2010
838 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackerbes View Post
I think it will. And in that shorter span it can probably be built with just foam, no spar. I think it is the full width lines of full contact gluing, along with the slight gap between the layers that give it good strength.

I have not built a 24" but I have some Dollar Store Readiboard foam that would make a good 24" wing build I think. It is thinner than FFF at 0.187"/4.6mm and comes in 30" x 20" sheets.

Maybe I need a BB 24 too...

Jack
SWEET! Let me know on your progress! I will be around here looking

Cheers
Jim
rcjim11 is offline Find More Posts by rcjim11
Old Mar 02, 2012, 11:02 AM
AKA Don
Troy, MI USA
Joined Dec 2002
7,456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daz393 View Post
Do you mean radio gear and everything to finish?
1. 2 control horn sets
2. 2 control rods (either make your own from piano wire or buy the ready made ones and cut to length.
3. Flap hinges, at least 4 for elevator and 2 for rudder, or make your own.
4. Undercarriage wire (1.5 or 2.0mm thick)
5. Wheels
6. 2 9g serves and horns
7. Receiver and transmitter (i use 6 channel Spektrum DX6i for my helps but it has 10 model memory)
8. ESC to suit your motor. I've used a 12amp one with BEC.
9. Motor, I've used a 70watt 1400 kv outrunner.
10. Prop, I use a 6x4 and prop saver.
11. Batteries, I use 770mah 30c 3s lipos
12. Rubber bands to hold wings on
13. 5/8" dowel rod for wing bands to secure to.

I think that's it?
5/8 dowel on BB33?? I'd use 1/8" skewer, or 1/16" cf rod.

Additional recommended items:
Add one piece of 1/16-1/8 ply for motor firewall.
May need a motor mount and mounting wood screws (Depends on the Motor)
Optional, 2 mm bullet connectors between motor and ESC (can be soldered direct also)
Connector to mate with battery--must be soldered to ESC leads.
Wing spare material--most common is 3/16 dowel on leading and trailing wing edges
optional, tail skid--popsicycle stick,or skewer
Battery charger..many choices
bz1mcr is online now Find More Posts by bz1mcr
Old Mar 02, 2012, 12:15 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
I think the jest is that as usual, the request is for specific parts numbers or links to Motors, Serovs, and ESC's (probably Batteries too). We post these over and over, but always lost in the thousands of posts, and often never found even with searching, especially by someone new to RCG.

Since Jack is so great with links and the maintenance of this thread, a link on page one should be included and kept up to date with the latest, greatest equipment (from say a couple of sources), then it's a simple matter of directing to said link with no confusion or out of date materials.

Fred
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
Old Mar 02, 2012, 07:22 PM
Medicinal Foam User
150 mile house B.C. Canada
Joined Jan 2010
3,915 Posts
A great spot to link for gear goto Kens BB thread http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1577227
Wilfor is online now Find More Posts by Wilfor
Old Mar 02, 2012, 08:34 PM
new kid on the block
United States, IL, Roscoe
Joined Nov 2011
373 Posts
hello, question with my electronics, i got the battery and just about everything else besides the battery charger and my prop. i wired everything and i tried plugging it in to just bind it and i got no response from anything should have i gotten a response from the system off of a storage charged battery?
also i converted the t-connector on the batter over to a jst so its compatible with a charge cable on my charger, i wired black to black and red to red between the battery and male plug and the esc and female plug, is this correct for the direction of current? i'll post some pics of the near-complete model of the plane and some shots of my electronics (may help clear up some of the above issues with electronics?)
mr.michael.2468 is offline Find More Posts by mr.michael.2468
Old Mar 02, 2012, 09:09 PM
Joined Feb 2012
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bz1mcr View Post
5/8 dowel on BB33?? I'd use 1/8" skewer, or 1/16" cf rod.

Additional recommended items:
Add one piece of 1/16-1/8 ply for motor firewall.
May need a motor mount and mounting wood screws (Depends on the Motor)
Optional, 2 mm bullet connectors between motor and ESC (can be soldered direct also)
Connector to mate with battery--must be soldered to ESC leads.
Wing spare material--most common is 3/16 dowel on leading and trailing wing edges
optional, tail skid--popsicycle stick,or skewer
Battery charger..many choices
Thanks guys (Freddie B, Don, and Daz393) you have provided me with what I wanted. The build continues while I wait for my parts.
davearl313 is offline Find More Posts by davearl313
Old Mar 02, 2012, 09:13 PM
Medicinal Foam User
150 mile house B.C. Canada
Joined Jan 2010
3,915 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.michael.2468 View Post
hello, question with my electronics, i got the battery and just about everything else besides the battery charger and my prop. i wired everything and i tried plugging it in to just bind it and i got no response from anything should have i gotten a response from the system off of a storage charged battery?
also i converted the t-connector on the batter over to a jst so its compatible with a charge cable on my charger, i wired black to black and red to red between the battery and male plug and the esc and female plug, is this correct for the direction of current? i'll post some pics of the near-complete model of the plane and some shots of my electronics (may help clear up some of the above issues with electronics?)
Battery is plugged in correctly . You wont here any sounds unless the motor is plugged in . How is the receiver attached ?
Wilfor is online now Find More Posts by Wilfor
Old Mar 02, 2012, 09:30 PM View Post
timoustis
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Off Topic Advertisement. Show it to me anyway.
Old Mar 02, 2012, 09:52 PM
Sheboygan, Wisconsin USA
Joined Mar 2008
92 Posts
Another Blu Baby is born

A new Blu Baby was born in Sheboygan Wisconsin. She is a 42” and constructed with FFF for the fuselage and the elevator. Built the rudder with one thickness of dollar foam but the whole rudder would move when the controls were used to move it right or left. So doubled that and that seemed to do the trick. The wing is Dollar store foam, UC with 40% on the bottom with an 1/8” dowel for the leading edge and bamboo for the TE. A CF spar on the bottom of the wing. Built the rudder with one thickness of dollar foam but the whole rudder would move when the controls were used to move it right or left. So doubled that and that seemed to do the trick.

The reason I used the different foams was just for some contrasting color.

She has an Emax cf2822 motor, 25 ESC, (2) 9gm servos and a 3 cell 1300 for the battery. 10 X 5.3 SF prop. Do to the fact that my field has no landing spots, I did not build it with landing gear. I did not like the idea of a battery hatch on the bottom although I am sure it is more convenient, but as there was plenty of room directly behind the mono block that is where it is placed. On the bench she balanced out just right.

The Maiden flight

You have to understand that I am relatively a newbie at flying, and self taught on all, but have been building for some time, but most of my planes were not very good trainers and basically learned most of my flying skills on the OSG (thanks again Springer as I know you hang out on this site as well).

I recently learned that one should “test glide” their planes, and I previously thought if it was balanced on the bench, that was all that was necessary. Boy am I learning, obviously not true..So lots of balancing going on with all the rest of the planes in my hanger and I have a few..Just ask my wife.

The maiden flight was last week as it was a day where the winds seemed to have died down and we were having a heat wave (40 degrees) So gave her a little toss in the higher grass. All is good and seems to be balanced. The next step, so I am told, is to put just a little power on and do another test glide, then set her down to trim her out if necessary. I think you are going to enjoy this next part. I have her at 1/8 throttle, if that, and she in no way wants to glide down for a landing but up she goes and straight. Well at that point I am not going to do anything but try to fly her. After all planes are referred to as females so I was not going to argue with this one either, as apparently she had a mind of her own.

All I have to say is this is an awesome plane and for the first time could actually concentrate on leaning to fly rather than constantly being scared as to not make a mistake or disaster would come my way. This is the most forgiving plane I have ever tried to fly, and I have tried a lot and can say that with my other planes, mostly gliders as I thought they would be slow, I would bring them home in pieces to say the least. If any one wants info on repairing let me know I am an expert in that field..lol.

So I was able to control the flight very well and was making turns, turning off the motor and gliding and the best part is a couple of times she would just hang in the air. A little more juice and we were moving again. Flying back into the wind was some what of a problem as she tended to be tail heavy or pitch up going into the wind. I would go between giving her some power and some down trim and get her level again and repeat the process but certainly not the most atheistic looking flight going into the wind. She flies perfectly level down wind and cross wind, and the gliding is perfect. So in for a nice level landing and that was my first successful landing as well. Came home with no repairs to do…That was a new one for me also…

Thought of increasing the TE about 1/16” for the second flight a few days later. That did nothing for the nose up coming into the wind but increased the glide speed coming down or just flying with no power seemed like she did not glide as well. Brought her in, decent landing made some trim adjustments on the elevator a little more up…Bad me, threw her cross wind and dorked her into the ground…A few repairs this time motor mount came out and cracked the wing…Nothing that some GG for the mount and PU for the wing did not cure.

3rd flight the best and longest I have ever had but still pitching up going into the wind but back to great gliding and level flying for the rest of the time. (took out the TE shim) Longest flight time ever and actually brought her in because I was getting a bit fatigued. Perfect landing and was trying to see how close to me I could get her and I would say 20” which is far better than some of my other landings with other planes, such as 50 feet up in a tree! Yes an expert getting planes out of trees as well….

So the question now is; should I try increasing the angle of the motor mount a little more? I would say I have at least 3 degrees down at present and probably 2 to the right.

I wish someone would tell me how one measures 3 degrees?

Any other thoughts are greatly appreciated but know this is a great trainer and will certainly be building another in the near future like the 60” BB.

I have read the blog til almost 800 and have a ways to go, but what is the effect on this plane going to the 48” wing? Is it even slower? The slower the better for me until I get my skills a little more refined…Thanks for a great plane ……….Lee

Hey she is not as nice as some of my painted planes but all babies are cute!
Name: finished front side.jpg
Views: 55
Size: 256.8 KB
Description:
Lee3429 is offline Find More Posts by Lee3429
Old Mar 02, 2012, 11:23 PM
new kid on the block
United States, IL, Roscoe
Joined Nov 2011
373 Posts
oooh gotcha, and it tells me in the binding instructions to plug the power into any pin and the bind plug into the "batt" port where the cable from the esc usually goes... hmmm...and should i be able to turn the system on at least with a half charged battery?
mr.michael.2468 is offline Find More Posts by mr.michael.2468
Old Mar 03, 2012, 01:34 AM
More coffee, please!
Austria, Wien, Vienna
Joined Jul 2011
622 Posts
lee3429, congratulations on succesfull maiden flight and thanks for the interesting report! sure sounds like fun!

justone thing, are you flying on 2s or on 3s battery? if you are on 3s, I'm afraaid that prop is too much for cf2822. I also have 2822 on my bb42, from what I read about that motor, it is not suited for anything larger than 9x4 on 3s. I measured the current on mine and my measurements confirmed that.

Now I'm useing a 9x3.8 and it seems good

edit: I just saw you wrote you are also useing a 3s lipo.
sir_clive is offline Find More Posts by sir_clive
Last edited by sir_clive; Mar 03, 2012 at 01:40 AM.
Old Mar 03, 2012, 01:39 AM
More coffee, please!
Austria, Wien, Vienna
Joined Jul 2011
622 Posts
haha, that problem (no sounds whitout motor connected) also had me, it took me an hour to figure it out on my first plane! the mean thing was that the brushed esc on my heli didn't need the motor to beep, so I was also expecting a brushless one to start singing as soon as the battery is connected.
sir_clive is offline Find More Posts by sir_clive