SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 28, 2012, 10:34 PM
new kid on the block
United States, IL, Roscoe
Joined Nov 2011
374 Posts
ok one thing thats bugging me about my blu baby, im using a HURC 2712-12 motor with a 9050 prop that with 2 cell should produce 11 ounces of thrust, i did a rough calculation with my near completed body (a lot of work has been done since those pics) and it came out close to 8 ounces. should i be concerned with this weight to thrust ratio? (im running a rather large battery, 1000mah)

i also want to add aileron eventually (ordered an extra servo for it at least), will i need to step up to 3 cell batteries for a bit more punch to go aerobatic?
mr.michael.2468 is offline Find More Posts by mr.michael.2468
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 29, 2012, 05:49 AM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,453 Posts
MM,
That should fly your plane just fine, even if you less than 1:1 thrust to weight ratio. Certainly going to 3s will give a significant increase in punch and would be more desirable for aerobatics.

Ken
dz1sfb is online now Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old Feb 29, 2012, 06:05 PM
Pushing the envelope
Valatie, N.Y.
Joined Jan 2006
408 Posts
I'm not sure if I'm missing something, but can someone explain to me how the wing is joined and the dihedral is held in place?
I read something about a popsicle stick but not sure how to use it.

Thanks!
Nicoflyer is offline Find More Posts by Nicoflyer
Old Feb 29, 2012, 06:12 PM
RC Adddict
Canada, BC, Williams Lake
Joined Jan 2010
4,170 Posts
Check out Kens thread Here , shows and describes it perfectly
Wilfor is online now Find More Posts by Wilfor
Old Feb 29, 2012, 06:25 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,916 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicoflyer View Post
I'm not sure if I'm missing something, but can someone explain to me how the wing is joined and the dihedral is held in place?
I read something about a popsicle stick but not sure how to use it.

Thanks!
This thread:

** Tony65x55 ** planes and plans - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=997484

Has a list of all the important posts in the Blu Baby thread in post #2:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...98&postcount=2

Browsing that list will be helpful to you as far as find some of the posts that are key to building a BB 33 (or any size for that matter). Here is a post that best goes to answering your question:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=75

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
Old Feb 29, 2012, 06:47 PM
Pushing the envelope
Valatie, N.Y.
Joined Jan 2006
408 Posts
Thanks for the quick response guys, I got it.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 11:26 PM
Pushing the envelope
Valatie, N.Y.
Joined Jan 2006
408 Posts
Well I got the kit made!Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1330579532.928435.jpg
Views: 68
Size: 50.2 KB
Description:
Old Mar 01, 2012, 11:24 AM
rcflyer
UK
Joined Jun 2010
844 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackerbes View Post
The KFm3P wing with the polyhedral tips is a good choice for that. If you build it with ailerons, you can just center the ailerons and not connect them to the receiver, then connect the rudder servo to the aileron channel on the receiver and you will have the classic RET setup. The rudder will be on the right stick with the elevator and the ailerons will not be used (and won't move either because of the servos).

Then, if you move the rudder over to the rudder channel and throttle stick, put the ailerons on the right stick with the elevator, you'll have the standard four channel setup.

I think you'll find that wing flys very well in the RET set up, good enough for a beginner with a coach. It will self recover to level flight hands off and have good stability for a newbie.

But for some reason, when you add ailerons with the polyhedral tips, you don't seem to get as much or any of the effect where the ailerons have to sort of fight with the dihedral be be effective. It won't snap roll like a flat wing will but it will do nice rolls without a lot of alitude loss or much or any tail wagging.

If you haven't watch that video of Russ40 flying I posted above. He really rings is out, inverted flight, inverted circles, rolling circles and all around eyeball level. He takes it up a little and does some consecutive rolls too. He is a good flyer, using coordinated four channel controls, etc. But that same wing, set up for RET only, is a wonderful wing for a trainer, even when the winds are picking up.

I think the flat center section and shorter length on the tips lets the ailerons work better than they work when the whole wing panel has dihedral.

When/if you put ailerons on it, make them the barn door type and most of the useable length on flat sections. On a 33" wing with 22" flat, I would make the ailerons like 1.5" x 9" on each side and leave 4" in the center for the over the fuselage area. I like to use a servo for each aileron and put them out on for a straight pull on aileron center. I don't mess with single servo ailerons when servos only cost about $4 or less.

You won't need a lot of aileron deflection if your using it as a aileron trainer or advanced trainer but when you set it up with more deflection you can really get a nice roll rate out of it.

On those wings I made the flat center section 2/3rd's of the span and them split the other 1/3rd of the span on the tips. The 48" wing had 32" flat and 8" on each tip, the 33" wing was 22" flat in the center and 5-1/2" on each tip. It was all pretty much TLAR work and it worked good.

Jack
Thanks a lot for the build info, and that wing sure looks like a winner. If it is scaled down to 24" I guess it will still work as well!

Jim
rcjim11 is offline Find More Posts by rcjim11
Old Mar 01, 2012, 12:22 PM
Joined Feb 2012
41 Posts
Newbie Needs List of Parts

New to all of this. Building my 1st foamie, a BB33 UC. This thread is so long. Is there a parts list somewhere for all the misc. parts needed for the BB33 UC. Don't need the foam parts lists, just all the others. Help!
davearl313 is offline Find More Posts by davearl313
Old Mar 01, 2012, 12:47 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,916 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjim11 View Post
Thanks a lot for the build info, and that wing sure looks like a winner. If it is scaled down to 24" I guess it will still work as well!

Jim
I think it will. And in that shorter span it can probably be built with just foam, no spar. I think it is the full width lines of full contact gluing, along with the slight gap between the layers that give it good strength.

I have not built a 24" but I have some Dollar Store Readiboard foam that would make a good 24" wing build I think. It is thinner than FFF at 0.187"/4.6mm and comes in 30" x 20" sheets.

Maybe I need a BB 24 too...

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
Old Mar 01, 2012, 02:17 PM
Depron Daz
United Kingdom, England, Basingstoke
Joined Feb 2012
1,117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davearl313 View Post
New to all of this. Building my 1st foamie, a BB33 UC. This thread is so long. Is there a parts list somewhere for all the misc. parts needed for the BB33 UC. Don't need the foam parts lists, just all the others. Help!
Do you mean radio gear and everything to finish?
1. 2 control horn sets
2. 2 control rods (either make your own from piano wire or buy the ready made ones and cut to length.
3. Flap hinges, at least 4 for elevator and 2 for rudder, or make your own.
4. Undercarriage wire (1.5 or 2.0mm thick)
5. Wheels
6. 2 9g serves and horns
7. Receiver and transmitter (i use 6 channel Spektrum DX6i for my helps but it has 10 model memory)
8. ESC to suit your motor. I've used a 12amp one with BEC.
9. Motor, I've used a 70watt 1400 kv outrunner.
10. Prop, I use a 6x4 and prop saver.
11. Batteries, I use 770mah 30c 3s lipos
12. Rubber bands to hold wings on
13. 5/8" dowel rod for wing bands to secure to.

I think that's it?
Daz393 is offline Find More Posts by Daz393
Old Mar 01, 2012, 03:13 PM
Depron Daz
Joined Feb 2012
1,117 Posts
My BB is all built now. I used depron in the end as my first was built using normal polystyrene but didn't like the finish. The finished product weighs 335g AUW. What do other peoples 33 UC's weigh?
My CofG is 2" from the LE, is this about right?
Old Mar 01, 2012, 04:23 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daz393 View Post
My BB is all built now. I used depron in the end as my first was built using normal polystyrene but didn't like the finish. The finished product weighs 335g AUW. What do other peoples 33 UC's weigh?
My CofG is 2" from the LE, is this about right?
Daz,
The lightest ones are around 227g, but my kit built version hits the scales at 245g.

The CG can be as far back as 2-5/8" from the LE. A forward CG is better than being to far aft, but will not fly as slow.

Ken
dz1sfb is online now Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old Mar 01, 2012, 04:45 PM
Depron Daz
Joined Feb 2012
1,117 Posts
Hi Ken, forgot to say I'm using a 2" monoblock and I have CF rods on both edges of the wing. And I'm using quite heavy wheels as I couldn't find and really skinny ones. Guess I'll only know once she's flying!
Old Mar 02, 2012, 12:22 AM
Joined Feb 2012
7 Posts
Hey Guys,
can you give me the list of all electronics used in making...it would be a great help..thank you!!
zoheb_rox is offline Find More Posts by zoheb_rox