HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 01, 2007, 06:51 AM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,567 Posts
DZ: Are you in Attica, MI near Lapeer? I'm in Armada east of you. (actually in New Orleans on Katrina help til sat) We should connect sometime! if the wind ever quits.
springer is online now Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 01, 2007, 07:59 AM
AMA 14680
Northern Nevada
Joined Mar 2007
1,581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dz1sfb
Foamenator,
Is it necessary to remove the paper from the foam from the Dollar Tree? And if so, what is the best method for accomplishing that goal?

I picked up a couple of sheets and have my parts all cut out. Very inspiring this plane is. Big kudos to Tony for a great design and construction method.

Does anybody have an all up weight for the 33" model? I want to power it with an outrunner and want to be able to select based on watts per pound.

Grateful for all the contributions,
dz1sfb (Ken)
Hi Ken.. Yes you need to remove the paper. If you don't you will have trouble rolling your wing to get your airfoil, plus the paper adds a lot of weight especially if you start painting it.

Here is a link on removing the paper from Rediboard. I've tried every method I could find but the rubbing alcohol trick works like a charm. I haven't tried using the spray bottle yet (last post in the thread) but I will just as soon as I need some clean foam. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=757496

Your finished Blubaby wont get close to the pounds measurement As you see mine in Post 60, it weights 11.9 oz all up weight. That includes the outrunner, esc, radio and 1000 mah lipo. It was way overpowered and I switched motors to a smaller one and been flying it that way ever since. Good luck with your build. You couldn't have made a better choice.

Keep the questions coming if you need to. Bob
Foamenator is offline Find More Posts by Foamenator
Old Nov 01, 2007, 06:06 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer
DZ: Are you in Attica, MI near Lapeer? I'm in Armada east of you. (actually in New Orleans on Katrina help til sat) We should connect sometime! if the wind ever quits.
Springer,

You've got the right place. PM me with your specific model aviation interests.

Happy BFR,
Ken
dz1sfb is offline Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old Nov 01, 2007, 06:29 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamenator
Hi Ken.. Yes you need to remove the paper. If you don't you will have trouble rolling your wing to get your airfoil, plus the paper adds a lot of weight especially if you start painting it.

Here is a link on removing the paper from Rediboard. I've tried every method I could find but the rubbing alcohol trick works like a charm. I haven't tried using the spray bottle yet (last post in the thread) but I will just as soon as I need some clean foam. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=757496

Your finished Blubaby wont get close to the pounds measurement As you see mine in Post 60, it weights 11.9 oz all up weight. That includes the outrunner, esc, radio and 1000 mah lipo. It was way overpowered and I switched motors to a smaller one and been flying it that way ever since. Good luck with your build. You couldn't have made a better choice.

Keep the questions coming if you need to. Bob
Thanks for the link and the alcohol tip. I tried it today with a spray bottle. This worked well on the small parts, but the larger ones need more saturation time. I will finish the wings with a large ziplock bag.

Several co-workers are geeked about this model and it looks like we will start with a fleet of four. We are making acetate templates for the parts.

Thanks again,
Ken
dz1sfb is offline Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old Nov 01, 2007, 07:03 PM
Postcards From The Purple Edge
United States, OK, Sand Springs
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dz1sfb
...Several co-workers are geeked about this model and it looks like we will start with a fleet of four. We are making acetate templates for the parts.
That's so friggin' ccol. I wish I had airplane friends to play with.
tuppertn is offline Find More Posts by tuppertn
Old Nov 02, 2007, 04:47 AM
White Mountains in NH
In the White Mountains of NH
Joined Dec 2006
296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamenator

Here is a link on removing the paper from Rediboard. I've tried every method I could find but the rubbing alcohol trick works like a charm. I haven't tried using the spray bottle yet (last post in the thread) but I will just as soon as I need some clean foam. Bob
I just noticed that the blue foam I have been using from Lowes has a very thin layer of paper or plastic covering on one side. The BB42 is built. I am working on putting in the controls and electronics. Do I need to worry that I didn't peel the stuff off before I glued it together?

Thanks,
David
dlabrie is offline Find More Posts by dlabrie
Old Nov 02, 2007, 06:49 AM
Postcards From The Purple Edge
United States, OK, Sand Springs
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
Alright, David! Get it geared up and let's see it FLY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlabrie
Do I need to worry that I didn't peel the stuff off before I glued it together?
Generally not and actually it makes the foam stiffer so it's good to leave it on. In the future you may want to try to peel just the places where you need a strong, foam-to-foam bond--like where the stabs or control horns glue on or the hinge tape line on control surfaces. Do that by making very shallow cuts, just through the plastic, around the area to be glued/taped and peel it off with a pair of tweezers or such. Also you can try arranging the parts so that the plastic covered side faces outward when possible. That way you get a foam-to-foam bond on the monoblock and the plane doesn't look like it's covered in black print.

kendall
tuppertn is offline Find More Posts by tuppertn
Last edited by tuppertn; Nov 02, 2007 at 06:57 AM.
Old Nov 04, 2007, 09:17 AM
woodbury,ct
Joined Mar 2002
196 Posts
Survivability of Blu-Baby vs Lightflite Bug

Let me stir the thread a little and see what floats to the top.

I am anxious to get back to r/c flying after a long layoff. I have read more than
half the posts on the Blu-Baby thread (so far) and have built the fuselage
from artboard,foamboard, Readiboard, whatever you choose to call it because of difficulty
finding Bluecor fanfold. My question is the relative indestructability of the two
a/c mentioned in the title of this post.

I know that, in the re-learning to fly process, whatever a/c I choose is going to
hit the ground. I do not want to get caught up in the fly, crash, repair cycle. I
I know that the Lightflite Bug devotees swear the Bug (because of its slow fly
capability and EPP construction) is nearly crashproof.

How crashproof would a 33" w/s Blu-Baby, built from white foamcore and
powered by a Feigao motor in a GWS A gearbox, be?

Thanks for your input,
Dave
a67ems is offline Find More Posts by a67ems
Old Nov 04, 2007, 10:00 AM
AMA 14680
Northern Nevada
Joined Mar 2007
1,581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by a67ems
Let me stir the thread a little and see what floats to the top.

I am anxious to get back to r/c flying after a long layoff. I have read more than
half the posts on the Blu-Baby thread (so far) and have built the fuselage
from artboard,foamboard, Readiboard, whatever you choose to call it because of difficulty
finding Bluecor fanfold. My question is the relative indestructability of the two
a/c mentioned in the title of this post.

I know that, in the re-learning to fly process, whatever a/c I choose is going to
hit the ground. I do not want to get caught up in the fly, crash, repair cycle. I
I know that the Lightflite Bug devotees swear the Bug (because of its slow fly
capability and EPP construction) is nearly crashproof.

How crashproof would a 33" w/s Blu-Baby, built from white foamcore and