HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 27, 2007, 12:39 AM
Micro Flyer "Q"
United States, MD, Silver Spring
Joined Sep 2003
1,416 Posts
Ihor14448,

The Merlin geared motor swings a GWS type 10X4.7SF propeller on seven cell NiCads. I know the servos in that rx/esc/servo block are big, but they work OK and its powerplant will haul your BB up with no problems.

Though H/L stopped selling the Merlin earlier this year there are others that still do. They also sell parts for them, especially propellers.

http://www.rchobbyexplosion.com/Prod...AP-105&click=2 (Merlin)

http://www.rchobbyexplosion.com/MEGA...mtpt-me101.htm (propeller)
qban_flyer is offline Find More Posts by qban_flyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 27, 2007, 01:07 AM
Joined May 2006
2,854 Posts
Thanks Tony
Got monoblock printed out. (lots less mass) Now I have to wait on some oderless CA as
mine won't set up anymore. Must be to old but its only been opened for 3 months but hasn't been stored in the fridge. I'm quite proud of my CHEAP spar. GPW would give me a gold star. 2 pieces of 6mm depron 1" to 3/4" with skewers Gorilla glued inside. Quite stiff and light. Almost bought a bundle of FFF today at Lowes but will wait & see if some finds it's way here at a better price. Happy Landings ALL

Ken
nubee 1 is offline Find More Posts by nubee 1
Old Oct 27, 2007, 09:05 AM
I'm not flying backwards!
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nubee 1
Thanks Tony
Got monoblock printed out. (lots less mass) Now I have to wait on some oderless CA as
mine won't set up anymore. Must be to old but its only been opened for 3 months but hasn't been stored in the fridge. I'm quite proud of my CHEAP spar. GPW would give me a gold star. 2 pieces of 6mm depron 1" to 3/4" with skewers Gorilla glued inside. Quite stiff and light. Almost bought a bundle of FFF today at Lowes but will wait & see if some finds it's way here at a better price. Happy Landings ALL

Ken
Almost bought a bundle? Man you're lucky. I have to make cross border pilgrimages to get mine (3 hours each way) as they don't sell it here in Kanuckistan. When I go, I buy them two at a time. It's a good deal as my LHS sells depron sheets at ten bucks a pop. FFF is the greatest thing since sliced bread (Ya can't make airplanes out of sliced bread).

I gave away all my foam safe CA to people I didn't like. I know that's mean but it was cluttering up my refrigerator. My flying buddy, Airplane Ed, built a plane with that stuff and it kept coming apart in mid air. I like hot glue for most things, PU for spars, motor mounts, gear mounts or other high stress areas, 3m77, Elmers Spray Glue or GWS glue for laminating monoblocs and occasionally, epoxy for the odd thing. All work well and don't cost the $13 bucks a bottle our LHS charges for that uselessCA.

Tony

PS: Can't tell I'm on my first coffee of the day, can you?
Tony65x55 is offline Find More Posts by Tony65x55
Old Oct 27, 2007, 09:16 AM
3DHobbyShop.com
S. Lancaster County, PA
Joined Jun 2006
2,528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony65x55
as they don't sell it here in Kanuckistan.
That's funny, right there.
horton is offline Find More Posts by horton
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 27, 2007, 10:25 AM
Strongsville, OH
Joined May 2007
2,415 Posts
bad news, i tried to see if the guys worked, they did for the forst 5 seconds and then went out, its like the rx died, i tried everything, it does not work now, CRAP!
ihor14448 is offline Find More Posts by ihor14448
Old Oct 27, 2007, 12:17 PM
Joined May 2006
2,854 Posts
I really like Gorilla glue but it's slow. The fumes really get to me so I have to be real carefull. You got me thinking about coming apart in midair I had used CA to glue in the servo bracket (popsickle stick) and it was loose on an inspection after a bad flight. I bought 500 tongue depressors to use as servo brackets and most of all ECT. I'm running a special on them. Handfull in an envelope for special people. I bought 500 cause they were cheaper than 100 everywhere else. Now to find some popsickle sticks
and I'll be set.

Tony I used a piece of plywood with blind nuts in it to hold the gear on my first BB. I'm thinking about ordering an aluminum gear from UH to use on my big one. Got to get a camera so I can show off my work. Built up wing is coming along nice. One side done
Rain & cold here and I'm waiting on glue.

Happy Landings

Ken
Old Oct 27, 2007, 12:28 PM
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nubee 1
I really like Gorilla glue but it's slow. The fumes really get to me so I have to be real carefull. You got me thinking about coming apart in midair I had used CA to glue in the servo bracket (popsickle stick) and it was loose on an inspection after a bad flight. I bought 500 tongue depressors to use as servo brackets and most of all ECT. I'm running a special on them. Handfull in an envelope for special people. I bought 500 cause they were cheaper than 100 everywhere else. Now to find some popsickle sticks
and I'll be set.

Tony I used a piece of plywood with blind nuts in it to hold the gear on my first BB. I'm thinking about ordering an aluminum gear from UH to use on my big one. Got to get a camera so I can show off my work. Built up wing is coming along nice. One side done
Rain & cold here and I'm waiting on glue.

Happy Landings

Ken
Ken, you can get bags of Popsicle sticks at Michael's very cheap or save 'em from the kids like I do.

I simply take music wire LG and PU it into the LG slot in the monobloc. The PU expands to fill the slot and the gear NEVER tear out. Super light and it works like a charm.

Tony
Old Oct 27, 2007, 12:28 PM
Ego varius quis.
Wisconsin
Joined Nov 2003
1,930 Posts
I have some Plantraco gear. Would this plane work well downsized to a 12" wingspan?
Cheesehead is online now Find More Posts by Cheesehead
Old Oct 27, 2007, 12:29 PM
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesehead
I have some Plantraco gear. Would this plane work well downsized to a 12" wingspan?
Yes it will. A few posts ago a link was put up for a micro BB. Flew very well according to it's builder. The BB's stability is such that it scales up and down easily.

Tony
Old Oct 27, 2007, 01:23 PM
White Mountains in NH
In the White Mountains of NH
Joined Dec 2006
296 Posts
I have abandoned my first BB 33. It was pretty rough looking but it introduced me to cutting foam etc. So I am starting a 42"BB with a Kfm2 wing. I have everything cut out and 2 questions about the wing.
1. What should the dihedral be?
2. Should I cut the wing in half, sand the angles to make the dihedral and glue back together or should I lightly score the center inch or so of the full wing and bend to the proper dihedral and tape and glue?
Thanks,
David
dlabrie is offline Find More Posts by dlabrie
Old Oct 27, 2007, 02:20 PM
Ego varius quis.
Wisconsin
Joined Nov 2003
1,930 Posts
Quote:
Yes it will. A few posts ago a link was put up for a micro BB. Flew very well according to it's builder. The BB's stability is such that it scales up and down easily.

Tony
Awesome!

Excuse my extreme lameness, but could you please provide a set of the plans, scaled to a 12" wingspan? I'm a Linux user, and lack PDF manipulation tools.
Cheesehead is online now Find More Posts by Cheesehead
Old Oct 27, 2007, 08:32 PM
Joined May 2006
2,854 Posts
Quote:
Ken, you can get bags of Popsicle sticks at Michael's very cheap or save 'em from the kids like I do.

I simply take music wire LG and PU it into the LG slot in the monobloc. The PU expands to fill the slot and the gear NEVER tear out. Super light and it works like a charm.

Tony
HA ! You have to understand I'm in the sticks of New York. Theres not a Michael's anywhere near here. But there is a WalMart in the next town I might look for popsicle sticks there. But I got tongue drepessors a plenty.

I have been on the move and need the planes to shrink as much as I can make them BUT ! I'm looking at a motor home and the top bunk will be all airplanes if I get it. Didn't get much done today. (had to watch the Busch wreckfest) I can't remember what size wire to use for the LG. I'm out and don't even have my calipers with me.

Ken
Old Oct 27, 2007, 10:36 PM
Micro Flyer "Q"
United States, MD, Silver Spring
Joined Sep 2003
1,416 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihor14448
bad news, i tried to see if the guys worked, they did for the forst 5 seconds and then went out, its like the rx died, i tried everything, it does not work now, CRAP!
Was the battery fully charged?
qban_flyer is offline Find More Posts by qban_flyer
Old Oct 27, 2007, 10:37 PM
Registered Aircraft Offender
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,530 Posts
Quote:
Awesome!

Excuse my extreme lameness, but could you please provide a set of the plans, scaled to a 12" wingspan? I'm a Linux user, and lack PDF manipulation tools.
would that be a 36% bb 33" right? i only have the tiled plans, so the stock output wasted about 3/4 of each printed page. in an attempt to streamline this, i cropped the reduced pages & reprinted to pdf 4 per page. i wish i had a way to combine 4 adjacent pages to reduce the amount of cutting & taping involved, but i'm just an unpaid hack. anyways, here ya go... let me know if it prints right or not.

btw, what kind of foam are you planning on using? i figure 36% of 6mm will give roughly 2mm foam thickness.

cheers,
kev

[edit: tony, maybe it would be helpful to add this on the first post if it works out ok.]
Truglodite is offline Find More Posts by Truglodite
Last edited by Truglodite; Oct 27, 2007 at 10:46 PM.
Old Oct 27, 2007, 10:39 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,934 Posts
Quote:
Awesome!

ScaleAndTile works just fine with Linux.

Here are the BB33 parts single page PDF, scaled 0.802x, together with letter-size tiles, produced with ScaleAndTile2.

Note to users: The BB33 parts single page PDF, an 11x17 page, does not show the parts at full size, e.g., the wing panel is 7.49 inches long, according to my measurements.

Note to Tony: The BB12 parts single page PDF, with some rearrangement of the parts, would fit nicely on a single letter/A4-size sheet, eliminating the need for scaling and tiling.

Cheers,
Bill Segraves
segraves is offline Find More Posts by segraves
Last edited by segraves; Oct 28, 2007 at 09:26 AM. Reason: Added BB12 parts