HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 24, 2007, 05:36 PM
Flying 3 mistakes high
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jun 2004
1,522 Posts
Found out what happens when you glass the wing, glass the tail and have a little incident.......the fuse snaps! (no damage to wing or tail)
Was doing some fun low passes with BBAP2 with camera, a gust came from nowhere causing it to roll and catch a wingtip on the ground. It did a little cartwheel.
It will be an easy fix though.
Glenn.
GlennS is offline Find More Posts by GlennS
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 25, 2007, 08:25 AM
Belgium, Flemish Region, Mechelen
Joined Aug 2007
45 Posts
Hello all,

I've been reading this thread for some days now. I'm building a Depron Tiger Moth (70 cm) at the moment. Problem is that these are busy days, so building is slow...
I was planning to build a BB after the Moth, so I could give it to my brother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuppertn
As a memory refresher the BBBE2 (Blu-Baby BluEndurance2) is a profile BB32 from 4mm foam board, UC wing, BW1300 swinging a GWS 8040HD, TowerPro 12A ESC, 2x 5g HXT servos and Spektrum AR6100 rx. AUW including 2/1320 TP Prolite lipo is an even 7oz.
Because my Moth will not be ready in a few days I was wondering if a profile BB would be a quick build that's suitable for a beginning pilot...

It seems to me as easy to build and that would give me (and my little brother) a way to do some flying while the Tiger Moth is being finished.

(Fall is started here in Belgium and we have some nice late-summer days. I think they will be over pretty soon and I would love to fly a bit before every day is a windy day.)

Greetings,
Niels R.
NielsR is offline Find More Posts by NielsR
Old Oct 25, 2007, 08:35 AM
AMA 14680
Northern Nevada
Joined Mar 2007
1,581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by l:x
Hello all,

I've been reading this thread for some days now. I'm building a Depron Tiger Moth (70 cm) at the moment. Problem is that these are busy days, so building is slow...
I was planning to build a BB after the Moth, so I could give it to my brother.

Because my Moth will not be ready in a few days I was wondering if a profile BB would be a quick build that's suitable for a beginning pilot...

It seems to me as easy to build and that would give me (and my little brother) a way to do some flying while the Tiger Moth is being finished.

(Fall is started here in Belgium and we have some nice late-summer days. I think they will be over pretty soon and I would love to fly a bit before every day is a windy day.)

Greetings,
Niels R.
Niels.... The BB is essentially a profile model. Although it is a little more work, the fuse is very quick and easy to build. A lot of flyers in this thread have built them in a few hours. The extra durability will be a great asset to a beginning flyer. Bob
Foamenator is offline Find More Posts by Foamenator
Old Oct 25, 2007, 09:43 AM
Postcards From The Purple Edge
United States, OK, Sand Springs
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
I agree. A true profile BB would only save you about 15 minutes of build time over a monoblock BB and the monoblock is way more resilient for a beginner to learn on. The point of the profile build on the BBBE2 was to reduce drag and weight as much as possible. After a single collision with the side of my house, however, she needed a whole new fuse. Stick with Tony's origianl design--a 32" wingspan, undercamber wing, monoblock construction. It's a quick and easy build as designed. You won't be disappointed.

kendall
tuppertn is offline Find More Posts by tuppertn
Old Oct 26, 2007, 06:19 AM
I'm not flying backwards!
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennS
Found out what happens when you glass the wing, glass the tail and have a little incident.......the fuse snaps! (no damage to wing or tail)
Was doing some fun low passes with BBAP2 with camera, a gust came from nowhere causing it to roll and catch a wingtip on the ground. It did a little cartwheel.
It will be an easy fix though.
Glenn.
Ouch, I hoped the camera survived. It's challenging to build crumple zones into the BB design. The monobloc makes the front end of the fuse very tough. I attach all my wings with rubber bands for this very reason. Something to soak up the energy of a minor crash.

Tony
Tony65x55 is offline Find More Posts by Tony65x55
Old Oct 26, 2007, 06:21 AM
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicarious
By the way, where are the plans for this one?
That's cool, I've never seen this micro-baby before. Thanks,

Tony
Old Oct 26, 2007, 06:24 AM
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nubee 1
Is there a set of plans for a 60" BB. I found the wing but I'm thinking a 60" set of plans might be near the size I'm looking for. The 52" plans come out 49 1/2" and I'm to dumb to figure out why. Still cutting & glueing.

Ken
The BBAP1 w/60" KFm3 or BBAP2 stock build are 60" wings. Both fly great and will lift a ton of weight.

Tony
Old Oct 26, 2007, 07:10 AM
Ipoh, Perak Malaysia
Joined Jul 2006
3,924 Posts
HI Tony,

I have finished building a FUnder and Lightning and just maidened it this evening (it's 8pm over here now). I am getting ready to build a 60" BB with KFM3. However, I really hate to patch all the tile pieces together. Would it be possible for you to rearrange the parts etc so that it can print on 1 sheet of 35"x65" and one other smaller sheet for those of us who have access to wide plotters?

I am just going to get ready for the 60" BB. However, first a 42" BB that I have promised my son...

Thanks in advance.

chewy
chewytm is online now Find More Posts by chewytm
Old Oct 26, 2007, 07:13 AM
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony65x55
The BBAP1 w/60" KFm3 or BBAP2 stock build are 60" wings. Both fly great and will lift a ton of weight.
Well, 18oz for sure. I haven't tried an actual ton yet. But I guess if you scale the payload capacity to empty weight ratio you might come out close to a ton. That would be like a 2000lb full-scale plane carrying an 1800lb payload.
Last edited by tuppertn; Oct 26, 2007 at 08:40 AM.
Old Oct 26, 2007, 12:46 PM
Joined May 2006
2,854 Posts
Problem solved
Got a new flier thats going to build a Blue Baby AP for his first plane and I'm going to have him print me a set of 52" plans. Then I will have a 33" , 39" , 48" & 52". Do you think the 52" will fly with a UH $5.95 Motor ( No camera ) I just got 3 in the mail yesterday. 39 grams each maybe a twin BB is next I also got 2 Blue Wonders. I built a foam spar with skewers inside ( 2 at root & single outboard ) seems pretty strong. Put them together with Gorilla Glue.

Ken
nubee 1 is offline Find More Posts by nubee 1
Old Oct 26, 2007, 02:41 PM
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
I think the 1200kV red Emax would be fine for the BBAP. I don't think they're very efficient motors based on my experience so far, but thrust shouldn't be problem. I think they're pretty close to the BP21 powerwise if you swing a slightly larger prop. A 9050HD on 3s "feels" like about 20oz of thrust. My Pawnee weighs 16oz and has pretty good vertical capability on that setup. If you keep the BBAP around 25oz it should fly great.

kendall
Old Oct 26, 2007, 05:23 PM
Strongsville, OH
Joined May 2007
2,415 Posts
guys help, i got the merlin guts, the servos are big and the prop is big too, like 8 or so inches, maybe a biggeer model? please tell me what to build cause tomorow i would like to get started.
ihor14448 is offline Find More Posts by ihor14448
Old Oct 26, 2007, 07:06 PM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,075 Posts
Quote:
Problem solved
Got a new flier thats going to build a Blue Baby AP for his first plane and I'm going to have him print me a set of 52" plans. Then I will have a 33" , 39" , 48" & 52". Do you think the 52" will fly with a UH $5.95 Motor ( No camera ) I just got 3 in the mail yesterday. 39 grams each maybe a twin BB is next I also got 2 Blue Wonders. I built a foam spar with skewers inside ( 2 at root & single outboard ) seems pretty strong. Put them together with Gorilla Glue.

Ken
I'm flying my 48" BB/KF-wing on 11.1V lipos with a bp2410-08 and a 9x5 prop or 10x3.8 prop, and I have a bunch of 10x4.7's in the mail from UH... which I think will be the perfect prop for this plane/motor combo.
warhead_71 is offline Find More Posts by warhead_71
Old Oct 26, 2007, 11:24 PM
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Quote:
Problem solved

Ken
Ken, it will be fine with that motor if you don't need payload or aerobatics. I would build it without the payload bay cutout for lower drag and cut some of the monobloc around the payload bay a little thinner. It is pretty thick to provide some strength around the camera. Here is the plan for the modified monobloc for use without a camera.

Tony
Old Oct 26, 2007, 11:26 PM
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihor14448
guys help, i got the merlin guts, the servos are big and the prop is big too, like 8 or so inches, maybe a biggeer model? please tell me what to build cause tomorow i would like to get started.
Don't worry about it Ihor. The BB42" you are building won't even notice the extra weight and an 8" prop is actually on the small size for this plane.

Tony