Electronics Pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by raythomas
OH NO!!!!
Next bird???
I haven't even finished this one yet!!!!!!!!!aaarrrrrggggggg
So much foam,
so little time!!:

P.S. So really the sportwing is just a reinforced flatplate like most of the indoor 3D planes going around today??
Are you still using PU glue on all your planes, and are you against using
hot glue?
Also, if I'm using a J250dd can I omit the slot for the motor stick in my block?
And nobody yet has posted any pictures on where there batt, servos, or rec are placed inside their plane.
Can you post some pics on that?
Thanks Ray
Ray... Here are some pics of my BB. Flew it for the first time this morning. What a great little plane. Flew about 40 minutes doing all kinds of basic manuevers. Stopped when the wind started picking up. Learned my lesson bout the winds when I crashed the last one. Hope the pics help... Bob
Foamenator is offline Find More Posts by Foamenator
Last edited by Foamenator; May 14, 2007 at 03:56 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 14, 2007, 03:26 PM
AMA 14680
Northern Nevada
Joined Mar 2007
1,581 Posts
Mission Accomplished

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony65x55
Gawd, that looks good Bob! The L19 fin and rudder look really natural on the BB. Good luck with the maiden. I'm in awe.

Madfisherman, thanks for weighing in with the J250 info. It's appreciated.

Tony
Forty minutes of pure joy.... I wish I had more batteries. The plane really flys nice. T&G's and nice tight loops. I am still going to downsize my motor (so I can get Porky back into the air) and get a short antenna that works .

I don't know if the BB has ever made it over to the beginner's fourm, but it should. What a great little plane for a beginner, both from a flyer and builder perspective.
Thanks Tony... BluBaby is a winner. Bob
Old May 14, 2007, 03:51 PM
KZ RIDER
Confederate States of America
Joined Nov 2001
1,037 Posts
Thanks a bunch Foamenator .
I appreciate it alot.
Ray
raythomas is offline Find More Posts by raythomas
Old May 14, 2007, 04:54 PM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,185 Posts
I recently built a Scotta J3 Cub and modified it with ailerons... also a great trainer, but a bit heavier and a lot less wing than the Blu-Baby - so I may end up building this one too. I really like the Bird Dog paint scheme... would love to see video.
warhead_71 is offline Find More Posts by warhead_71
Old May 14, 2007, 06:51 PM
Joined May 2006
2,854 Posts
Bob I wish I had a camera and the knowhow to post pictures cause I'm proud of how my (Baby) turned out. For the 2 piece wing I used 2 piece's of brass 2" long bent to diheadral with CF inserted, glued and taped to wing. The longer one at CG and a shorter one 2 1/2" back. Glued brass on opposing sides. 2 popsicle sticks wet and bent for leading & trailing edge protecters glued on one side. Wing slides appart and fits in suitcase with body that elevator removes also. Gear is bent like stock with 90 degree on top & screws onto a piece of plywood glued to bottom with 4-40 screws and blindnuts. All comes appart and will fly maiden in Fla.
nubee 1 is offline Find More Posts by nubee 1
Old May 14, 2007, 07:52 PM
John 3:16
Dom. Rep.
Joined May 2003
3,825 Posts
Congratulation, nubee 1, on your packable Blu-baby!
Daddy-O
Daddy-O is offline Find More Posts by Daddy-O
Old May 14, 2007, 08:10 PM
AMA 14680
Northern Nevada
Joined Mar 2007
1,581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nubee 1
Bob I wish I had a camera and the knowhow to post pictures cause I'm proud of how my (Baby) turned out. For the 2 piece wing I used 2 piece's of brass 2" long bent to diheadral with CF inserted, glued and taped to wing. The longer one at CG and a shorter one 2 1/2" back. Glued brass on opposing sides. 2 popsicle sticks wet and bent for leading & trailing edge protecters glued on one side. Wing slides appart and fits in suitcase with body that elevator removes also. Gear is bent like stock with 90 degree on top & screws onto a piece of plywood glued to bottom with 4-40 screws and blindnuts. All comes appart and will fly maiden in Fla.

No Problem Nubee... Have a great trip to FL and a great maiden on the Portable BB. Bob
Old May 14, 2007, 08:11 PM
Joined May 2006
2,854 Posts
Thankee I wish I could show the neat mods on my Suit case BB. One of these days.
Old May 14, 2007, 09:27 PM
Joined May 2006
2,854 Posts
OK One last question. What do I want for throws on the feathers. I don't want to much like I always do so somebody shoot me some numbers. Please ? Im setting it up so I can box it up. I wish I could go fly it but its nuts around here getting ready. Thanks

Ken
Old May 14, 2007, 09:43 PM
AMA 14680
Northern Nevada
Joined Mar 2007
1,581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nubee 1
OK One last question. What do I want for throws on the feathers. I don't want to much like I always do so somebody shoot me some numbers. Please ? Im setting it up so I can box it up. I wish I could go fly it but its nuts around here getting ready. Thanks

Ken
Nubee... BB Birddog I had about 3/4 both directions on elv and rudder. Way too much for my lead thumbs and she went down in flames. BB Birddog II has 1/2" all the way around on full rates and about 3/8" on dual rates. At slow speeds 1/2" feels real good to me. The plane is overpowered (will loop from straight and level) and when I applied full power, the 3/8" worked OK but the plane didn't like the high speed at all. Both planes weighed in at 11 oz. I'm sure Tony has the final word on this subject though. Hope this helps, Bob
Old May 14, 2007, 09:50 PM
Joined May 2006
2,854 Posts
OK I'll start at 1/2" on both. Do you think I need more up than down ? My nitro models have a bit more up than down. Thanks

Ken
Old May 14, 2007, 10:08 PM
I'm not flying backwards!
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
!/2" is about right. Full throws will get you IMMEDIATE response without it being twitchy. I wouldn't worry about differential throws on the elevator too much, once you get it trimmed you won't us the elevator much anyway (LOL) Congrats on the takedown build. We're all awaiting word on the maiden.

Bob, the plane looks superb. "40 minutes of pure joy"... what a description!

Tony
Tony65x55 is offline Find More Posts by Tony65x55
Old May 14, 2007, 11:07 PM
Joined May 2006
2,854 Posts
My daughter just asked me if I was going to put some color on it so I might get crazy and spray the wings & elevator red and yellow the rest. Had an old friend that had a J-3 like that. Was fun watching him prop it over and get in and pull a chock and take off on the country road he lived on. Bringing back some old times.

Ken
Old May 15, 2007, 12:00 AM
Check my blog-updated
Columbus,Ohio
Joined Nov 2005
2,133 Posts
EPP Blu Baby

Ok, so I built one for a friend of mine and this is how it turned out.

The wing is built up. The bottom of the wing is 9mm, the formers is 9mm, and the top skin is 4mm. No rods or tubing at all.

The rest of the plane is all 9mm epp with the ONLY tube being in the stab.

I used blenderm tape for hinges, micro control horns, TP SG-50 servos, Bluebird Rx, TP Mag 8 esc, 24 gram motor, 800 mah 2s lipos from commonsense.
I am not sure of the auw-didn't get a chance to get the weight.

We have already maidened it yesterday and I can tell you this, this bird is not fond of the wind. We had to add about 3/4oz to the nose to get the Cog to better fit this plane. After the wind calmed it flew great, aside from being over powered. The Blu Baby likes it slow.
The plan now is to add struts and a paint job to it.
So here is some build pics and finished and the maiden.
Mayday!Mayday! is offline Find More Posts by Mayday!Mayday!
Old May 15, 2007, 12:08 AM
Check my blog-updated
Columbus,Ohio
Joined Nov 2005
2,133 Posts
This plane was built for a friend who has had a stroke and cannot use his left side. A couple of fellow RCG members sent a modified radio to Logical Psycho and Bugsplatter supplied the electronics and I built the plane.
We will get it painted and then give it to him this weekend. It should be a great plane for him to fly with one hand. (throttle was moved to the right side on a knob.)

Thanks Tony!
Mayday!Mayday!
Mayday!Mayday! is offline Find More Posts by Mayday!Mayday!