SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 04, 2011, 12:08 PM
Virginia
Joined Nov 2007
15 Posts
I have looked at the Hacker look-alikes on HobbyKing but was worried about the comments about dependability and the real ones are above my pocketbook. Man, if they even come close to your experience they would be great motors. They are only rated for about a pound thrust. I have a 3.5 oz ($35) and a 8.5 oz ($200) camera Im considering but want to get real confident with the plane before I try them as I will be photographing in an area where retrieval from mistakes will be nearly impossible. I guess your motor to be the 20-22L. I might have to try one of those.
Sorry about the thumb thing-it is a constant factor with my flying/crashing. I'm really good at it!
Old Builder is offline Find More Posts by Old Builder
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2011, 12:58 PM
Belgi, Brussel, Brussel
Joined Nov 2010
284 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbjsw10 View Post
I am building a 33" for my son (first plane) will this motor be alright, http://www.hobbypartz.com/60p-dy-1006.html

I hope so I kinda ordered it already, lol.
Let me know how that motor turns out. The power is fine. I have similar but at only half the weight. I has trouble balancing on cg so this motor would be better.
sh4nce is offline Find More Posts by sh4nce
Old Feb 04, 2011, 04:00 PM
What goes up must come down..
Canada, QC, Saint-Laurent
Joined Jan 2002
1,724 Posts
It's a nice "combo set" s/b ok for a 33" BB too bad that there is no connectors...
rodair is offline Find More Posts by rodair
Old Feb 05, 2011, 12:10 AM
In Rc for a LONG TIME FFAA#1
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jun 2004
1,377 Posts
Spoke with the Master of the BB himself

he was totally taken by surprised when he relized it was me and is doing fine, he has been very busy with work and supposed to be here in my neck of the woods monday and tuesday and we will be hopefully hooking up. yes i will take some pics of the meet. also he will be sending me some of the latest designs from the moose works and i will post some thing of interest later as i just got home from work.and whoo the new goodies look good!!!!:e ek:
laserman is offline Find More Posts by laserman
Old Feb 06, 2011, 01:25 PM
Addicted to flight since 1944
southern Florida
Joined Feb 2004
1,750 Posts
An experiment on different monobloc material. I laminated 4 layers of polyolefin foam, the camping mattress material, with 3M77 contact cement. Here is the result. An almost indestructible and yet flexible monobloc.
rbrown3rd is offline Find More Posts by rbrown3rd
Old Feb 06, 2011, 01:26 PM
southern Florida
Joined Feb 2004
1,750 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Builder View Post
Progress report on the AP1-60'' w/ailerons. I...................
That is a really nice looking ship. You did a superb job on it.
Old Feb 06, 2011, 04:57 PM
RC Adddict
Canada, BC, Williams Lake
Joined Jan 2010
4,325 Posts
how does it compare in weight to the original monoblock ?
Wilfor is online now Find More Posts by Wilfor
Old Feb 06, 2011, 05:06 PM
In Rc for a LONG TIME FFAA#1
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jun 2004
1,377 Posts
and heres what the master has

in mind for us in the future
laserman is offline Find More Posts by laserman
Old Feb 06, 2011, 06:16 PM
southern Florida
Joined Feb 2004
1,750 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfor View Post
how does it compare in weight to the original monoblock ?
Without completely cutting out the voids it is heavier. .4 oz for the pink foam and .7 oz for the polyolefin. I'll compare them when they are comparably finished.
Old Feb 06, 2011, 06:26 PM
RC Adddict
Canada, BC, Williams Lake
Joined Jan 2010
4,325 Posts
A little extra weight might not be so bad anyhow as these can come out a little tail heavy
Wilfor is online now Find More Posts by Wilfor
Old Feb 06, 2011, 07:07 PM
If it flies, I will crash it
USA, CO, Westminster
Joined Jan 2008
3,039 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by laserman View Post
in mind for us in the future
Did he mention if it was going to be 4 engines Jim? Should be interesting.

Rob...
mxspode is offline Find More Posts by mxspode
Old Feb 07, 2011, 11:03 AM
Virginia
Joined Nov 2007
15 Posts
BBAP1 Flies!!

Well, I can now report IT FLIES!!

Quite nicely I might add. I put all electronics in very front and battery (3 cell 1300) in front under the wing and it is about right. It leaped off the rough field and the O-ring broke on first flight about 5 off the ground
The plane glided nicely to the field.

I tried it with a 2 cell but it would not taxi and take off might be strong enough to hand launch but would be marginal at that. It will be a 3 cell plane. Great power with 3 climbs at throttle - cruses at less. It got a little ugly a couple times but probably me fooling with flaps/rudder/stuff. It is a smooth flying, SLOW flying, stable craft. I think as I get used to it, it will be just what I will need for a camera. I think there is plenty of power to carry the light one and maybe the heavy one as well. Ill have to rig them to take snapshots but can just turn thee video on and let it run. It was cold this morning (28 deg f and still air) so I only did about 5-10 min and then went on to work satisfied. Ill probably change from flaperons to ailerons. More testing later . . .
Old Builder is offline Find More Posts by Old Builder
Old Feb 07, 2011, 11:30 AM
southern Florida
Joined Feb 2004
1,750 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfor View Post
A little extra weight might not be so bad anyhow as these can come out a little tail heavy
True. This is just an experiment. I have two or three BBs cut and thought I would try something different. This stuff is really tough, flexible, and shock absorbent. Amazing material. Picked up one of those camper mattresses from Walmart and just cut pieces then laminate them with 3M77. I think it has great potential for building airplanes.
Old Feb 07, 2011, 11:35 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
17,140 Posts
Congratulations to Old Builder!

Did you use the GWS EP-1147 (11 x 4.7 slow fly) for both the 2S and 3S? If so I'd guess you would have had about 200 full throttle Watts on the 3S. But throttled back you were probably cruising around at 50-75 Watts.

Did you get a finished weight on that? Like ready to fly?

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
Old Feb 07, 2011, 05:38 PM
Crash it first, Then fly it
The Big Apple
Joined Jul 2008
536 Posts
Hi. Gonna be making a 33 inch one for a science project. what's the ave final weight for most people, and what motor should i use? i was thinking of getting a blue wonder i saw on hobbyking for just 7.14
Griffindor is offline Find More Posts by Griffindor
Last edited by Griffindor; Feb 07, 2011 at 05:45 PM.