HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 20, 2010, 10:13 PM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
skis work

A little on the porky side, but ripped off the bindings once, (only epoxy) so I re-attached with #3-48 stainless w/nuts, and a sandwich strip of ply on the top side of the binding too.

Spiderwire serves as a droop limiter in the back, and rubberbands serve as shock absorbers in the front. They work so good that at a quicker speed and a low angle approach, they bounce the plane back up in the air. I wish I had video of that.

I coated the ply w/ca, and sprayed bottom with furniture polish, they are very slick. I had to go test when they were done, the middle school has some relatively bright lights off the side of the building where there is some fresh snow. There is no wind now, this thing is such a joy to fly in no wind. So predictable and steady, slow cruise, 2 ft. off snow complete with turns, no problem at all.... such a guilty pleasure. If not for cold fingers I might still be out there.!
wheelspinner20 is offline Find More Posts by wheelspinner20
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 20, 2010, 10:26 PM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
Quote:
for a plane to stay on top of the snow it should 14 "sq per pound of plane. but it always works better when the skis are bigger
monoboy10--thanks for the data on the skis. Put to good use.

P.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 11:00 PM
Registered Aircraft Offender
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,509 Posts
BB-33 KFM #5 - Bird Dog

Hi all, just thought I'd share some BB pr0n. Basically it's the same as my past 3 builds, but with a fancy hatch and an even heavier paint job.

Cheers,
Kev
Truglodite is offline Find More Posts by Truglodite
Last edited by Truglodite; Dec 20, 2010 at 11:06 PM.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 02:25 AM
Zagreb, Croatia
Joined Apr 2010
97 Posts
So just to verify, I have checked plans to see what angle is exactly given as wing incidence. UC wing is not parallel to horizontal stab.

Tommee is offline Find More Posts by Tommee
Old Dec 21, 2010, 05:06 AM
A Day @ a Time - Matt. 6:25-34
North AL, USA
Joined Nov 2009
1,870 Posts
Lets see... Station #390, #410, #420...
ruff1 is offline Find More Posts by ruff1
Old Dec 21, 2010, 05:08 AM
North AL, USA
Joined Nov 2009
1,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truglodite View Post
...and an even heavier paint job.
Very nice... what are you using to paint? I'm about to build another bird and ready to get into painting...
Old Dec 21, 2010, 05:41 AM
Zagreb, Croatia
Joined Apr 2010
97 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruff1 View Post
Very nice... what are you using to paint? I'm about to build another bird and ready to get into painting...
Same question

And what is the weight difference before and after painting?
Old Dec 21, 2010, 05:47 AM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,342 Posts
Truglodite,

Nice technique in place of a filler panel on the landing gear. I will give it a try.

Ken
dz1sfb is offline Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old Dec 21, 2010, 08:48 AM
AKA Don
United States, MI, Houghton Lake
Joined Dec 2002
7,529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truglodite View Post
Hi all, just thought I'd share some BB pr0n. Basically it's the same as my past 3 builds, but with a fancy hatch and an even heavier paint job.

Cheers,
Kev
Nice looking plane. Is the nose stretched? It looks longer.
bz1mcr is offline Find More Posts by bz1mcr
Old Dec 21, 2010, 01:55 PM
Registered Aircraft Offender
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,509 Posts
Hi all, thanks for the compliments on the paint. Too bad it's not mine to fly... my 7.7oz unpainted BB might float nicely, but not as easy on the eyes... and it is a lot harder to see as it gets up there.

Ruff & Tommee, I used flat acrylic out of an airbrush for the base colors, and a product called Mod Podge (clear gloss) for the top coat. For prep I smeared Foam Fusion (awesome foam glue BTW) in to the porous monoblock and sanded FFF areas with my fingers and wiped off excess. This helps even out the sheen and color across the fuse (sorta like a primer for the rough areas). The stickers are 3M transparent inkjet labels... make sure to shoot thin coats of clear over them, or they'll run.

Tommee, 7.7oz RTF before paint, 13oz after stickers and paint, 15oz after having to add 2oz of lead to the nose to counter balance the paint. She's purdy and portly!

Ken, the "taped gear" is easier to install, and it's actually much stronger than The original design. Why? With the original design, a hard landing forces the thin wire in to the fuse sides and monoblock. Eventually they cut through the sides, or loosen the fit so the gear ends up with "back and forth" slop. Using "taped gear", the tape takes the primary load (when the gear want to spread on a hard landing), and it distributes the stress on a wide section of monoblock when the gear are bent back & forth. Basically, my first BB I did stock gear and over time it got sloppy. I have had no issues with the taped gear. Just make sure to put some extra PU in the slot; it doesn't have to be 100% filled to work, but you do need decent expansion around the taped areas.

Don, maybe the sanding and the camera angles make it appear longer. It's standard except with a 2" thick monoblock and the pencil sketched tail section.

Cheers,
Kev
Truglodite is offline Find More Posts by Truglodite
Old Dec 21, 2010, 05:01 PM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
Trug, thats a sweet looking bb, thats the way i did these skis. I did the wheels like that too, but, I used the dacron stitching covered by epoxy. Bullet proof, AND when I get to the site, and there is a spot plowed, or not enough snow, just slide out the board with the skis and squeeze in the wheel set. Very quick and painless. The nose does look longer, I agree, but its probly because of the taper thats sanded in. looks good.

Gotta go cut another plane, mine is dead. Broke beyond repair this time.!

Merry Christmas.!

P.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 01:43 AM
Zagreb, Croatia
Joined Apr 2010
97 Posts
I made some trailer (its not good without sound )for my new BB video

Blue Baby Trailer (0 min 49 sec)
Old Dec 22, 2010, 06:06 AM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,342 Posts
That was cute Tommee! What video editing software do you use?

Ken
dz1sfb is offline Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old Dec 22, 2010, 06:37 AM
North AL, USA
Joined Nov 2009
1,870 Posts
Just a narration by Don LaFontaine would have made it complete!
Old Dec 22, 2010, 06:43 AM
Zagreb, Croatia
Joined Apr 2010
97 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dz1sfb View Post
That was cute Tommee! What video editing software do you use?

Ken
Ken I'm watching your work very closely (it is great ).
What do you think is slower and more stable flier, OK or BB? Because next build is OK, it looks fantastic.

Video editing, it is iMovie 2011 (I'm all Mac cause I like stuff that actually works), whole trailer is put together in under 10 minutes.