HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 13, 2007, 11:58 PM
Registered Aircraft Offender
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,513 Posts
i'll be the first to say i'm no float guru, but i maybe my intuition is close:

it seems if the front was covered and it got on step, it should be mostly riding on the covering. ie the uncovered area doesn't matter, right?

i also noticed how your motor is mounted up high. it may have flown well that way after trimming, but the resulting downthrust may the reason behind the problem with row?? iirc, generally having excessive downthrust coincides with adding a ton of up elevator trim to compensate (versus adding mostly throttle to compensate for added weight). perhaps more upthrust would help (or a stick mount )?

hope this helps you to get from point a to point b with those floats.

kev
Truglodite is offline Find More Posts by Truglodite
Last edited by Truglodite; Oct 14, 2007 at 12:07 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2007, 12:53 AM
Joined Nov 2006
1,067 Posts
The motor is actually on a stick mount, the angle is the same as the angle it would be if the motor was mounted lower. I know that motors having up thrust is favorable for water take offs, but I used the standard BB33 design with the built in down thrust. Even with my motor set up, at 1/3 throttle I am flying level, at 3/4 throttle I am at a very steep climb without elevator input.

On step it is riding primarily on the back end of the float that is not covered by tape. The covered part is mostly out of the water when on step.

With the floats I am using I had a TON of wash on the bottom sides and horizontal stab from the floats I used. It was green wash too because of the freakin algea in the water. I really think a float redesign is in order... Now that I think about it, I may need to move the floats back so that the step is an inch behind the CG - I seem to remember my floats practically sinking in the rear when on step. Hmmmmm

I think floats like the ones in the plans by Gene Bond(I attached the plans - they are from Gene Bonds Blucub 2) will help to correct the wash problem. I will just need to figure out the correct size. Having the taper widening out at the bottom should really help prevent the spray.

Do any of you have ideas on how to coat the bottom of floats for a more 'glassy' type finish? Would an enamel type paint work? What kinda covering??
Kurpal is offline Find More Posts by Kurpal
Old Oct 14, 2007, 07:40 AM
I'm not flying backwards!
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Kurpal, look at Page 1, post 1. 33" BB Floats added to the plans there.

Tony
Tony65x55 is offline Find More Posts by Tony65x55
Old Oct 14, 2007, 07:49 AM
White Mountains in NH
In the White Mountains of NH
Joined Dec 2006
296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurpal

Do any of you have ideas on how to coat the bottom of floats for a more 'glassy' type finish? Would an enamel type paint work? What kinda covering??
Kev,
First thanks for the info on what to buy at UH. I am going to stock up soon.

On the floats, what if you covered the bottom with the covering used on balsa wings? Or maybe try to modify the Slow Stick Flying Boat I built this for my SS and it is a ball to fly!
David
dlabrie is offline Find More Posts by dlabrie
Old Oct 14, 2007, 08:10 AM
White Mountains in NH
In the White Mountains of NH
Joined Dec 2006
296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truglodite
np qban.

btw, more of my $.02's: for recievers, i've found for the price, berg's are a very good investment for all my planes. take my micro 3d helicopter for example, which has 2 gyros, pheonix 10, himax 2015, & a 10A brushed esc, all tightly bundled together (a very noisy environment for sure). a gws rx & polk seeker 6 rx both failed due to all the noise. the berg was the only one that never glitched in this situation. as far as range, i nearly specked out my bb60" with a berg7l, and my 87mph micro wing specks out quickly with a berg 4l (can't afford glitches with that one ). oh, and there's a video on youtube comparing the berg, corona, and gws rx's. the corona comes close, but the berg has the better range hands down.

kev
I am limited to one receiver I have the DX6 radio, which I love, but the AR6000 receivers cost $50 each. I have 2 so I have to swap them around my planes.
David
dlabrie is offline Find More Posts by dlabrie
Old Oct 14, 2007, 09:22 AM
Flight Enthusiast
Ferndale WA
Joined Dec 2006
137 Posts
Bird Dog Story

Hi Guys,
I am a novice pilot of a foamy "Bird Dog" who is now back into this great hobby after two years of moving from Oregon to Washington and working on building a new solar home and work shop by myself. Flying a plane will give me some rest from always thinking about "The Project".

I am still reading through this great thread and am currently back on page 65, but I'm gaining on you slowly and am taking in all of the great hints and tips. Someday I will also build a Blu Baby. But first, a home.

Thank you Tony for such a great aircraft and for being so generous to share it with all of us.

Back where I am in the thread the L19 0-1 Bird Dog was mentioned and I read the great story about the Bird Dog. Since I built one, I also have a story from TOG's original thread. TOG, "That Oval Guy" was the designer of the foamy the Bird Dog. Here is the story from that thread.

Cessna 0-1 “Bird Dog”

A South Vietnam Air Force Major with his wife and five children as passengers landed this aircraft aboard the USS Midway on 30 April 1975 during Operation “Frequent Wind”, the evacuation of South Vietnam.
In a daring attempt to save himself, his wife and children, the major piloted the aircraft from Con Son Island seaward in search of a safe haven. With only enough gas remaining for one hour of flying, he located the Midway.
The pilot circled Midway and attempted to drop a note to crewmen on the flight deck. The first two attempts were futile, but on the third try his note was intercepted. It read: “Can you move those helicopters to the other side? I can land on your runway. I can fly one more hour. We have enough time to move. Please rescue me.”
Midway’s Commanding Officer, Captain L. C. Chambers, assessed the situation and ordered the flight deck cleared. Crewmen worked feverishly to clear the landing area of helicopters, which landed earlier with other evacuees. A volunteer Vietnamese interpreter manned a radio to help guide the tiny plane to safety.
The Major’s approach to the flight deck was low and slow. He touched down once, bounced, and rolled to a stop well short of the end of the carrier’s angle deck. Despite a rain soaked deck and without the benefit of a tail hook or barricade, the neophyte carrier pilot brought his plane and crew to safety. The landing was greeted by enthusiastic applause from the thrilled crewmen who surrounded the small aircraft.
Of the three thousand refugees who were brought to safety via Midway, the seven who came aboard in the “Bird Dog” will be the best remembered. The dramatic landing so inspired the crew of Midway, that they decided to adopt the courageous pilot and his family, A fund was established to help them start their new life. Wherever they may choose to settle, the Major and his family will always be remembered by the men of Midway.

I hope you enjoyed the story and as Tony says, "Get it in the air".

Cheers,
Solar Dave
La Casa del Sol
Ferndale Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Ferndale Flyer
Old Oct 14, 2007, 10:47 AM
Joined Nov 2006
1,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony65x55

Tony
Cool, I totally missed that, sorry. I looked at the plans, they are almost identicle to the floats I am using right now. The only difference is that I rounded the back end of the floats instead of having them flat bottom, which probably is what is causing my float spray all over the plane .

Back to the drawing board for me, I might just go fly and forget about water for today.
Last edited by Kurpal; Oct 14, 2007 at 11:02 AM.
Old Oct 14, 2007, 11:05 AM
Micro Flyer "Q"
United States, MD, Silver Spring
Joined Sep 2003
1,381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony65x55

Tony
Thanks for this most excellent addition Tony. Just downloaded it to the BB Folder!
qban_flyer is offline Find More Posts by qban_flyer
Old Oct 14, 2007, 01:49 PM
Joined Dec 2006
10 Posts
My BluBaby

Hello,

Here is my Blu Baby's photos and video.

Flight Video;
Blu Baby Depron Trainer Plane (3 min 55 sec)

And with FlycamOne;
İğneada from the Sky (3 min 1 sec)

BR
fullturkey is offline Find More Posts by fullturkey
Old Oct 14, 2007, 06:02 PM
Joined Nov 2006
1,067 Posts
Alright, I figured out an awesome method(and free for me ) of covering the bottom of floats.

Vinyl!! I build signs for a living, so I have TON of this stuff as scraps that normally would be thrown away... not anymore . Cut it to size, and apply it, then use a hair drier on hot - high setting rubbing it down with your hands and it coats as if it was painted on. If your planes have a bunch of dents, you may want to spackle first(do not know how the vinyl sticks to spackle though). After heating with a heat gun, it is about the strongest bond from any 'tape' like substance I have ever used in my planes. I imagine it is a lot like the monocote type stuff for strength and bond.

The BB33 floats with vinyl took off just fine from water, and even taxied around on grass and sand. I still had a lot of problems with spray from the floats. Tony, if you have a chance, I would recommend trying the floats designed like Gene Bond's blucub - they just skim across the water beautifully. I think rounding the bottom of the rear of the step was my mistake that is causing all the spray...

BOTH my BBs ended up in the drink today, the second time I had to swim about 100 yards after it, and that water is cold.

Here are some pics
Old Oct 14, 2007, 08:09 PM
Micro Flyer "Q"
United States, MD, Silver Spring
Joined Sep 2003
1,381 Posts
Very nice stuff. looks just like trim MonoKote, though I would think it is much stronger.

Nice job on those floats too.
qban_flyer is offline Find More Posts by qban_flyer
Old Oct 14, 2007, 08:26 PM
Joined Aug 2006
170 Posts
Details For BB42 with Kf wing -

CG - 40%?
Size for landing gear wire?

Should be in the air very soon.

elight50
elight50 is offline Find More Posts by elight50
Old Oct 14, 2007, 08:34 PM
Out the Window
United States, FL, Alachua
Joined Jul 2004
1,277 Posts
My Blue Baby build is looking good, at least to me! It is my second foamie, the first being a STC. The STC has a profile fuse so the servos are visible. I would like to hide the servos and most of the control rods inside the fuse on the Blue Baby. I plan to use small carbon rods with bent paper clips on the ends for control rods. Any suggestions on how to make and line up the holes through the fuse so everything works?

I may take the easy way out and let the top of the servos show, but it would look better without much showing.

Ray
High Flyin' is online now Find More Posts by High Flyin'
Old Oct 14, 2007, 11:37 PM
Postcards From The Purple Edge
United States, OK, Sand Springs
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elight50
Details For BB42 with Kf wing -
CG - 40%?
Size for landing gear wire?
Yep. 38-40% for the KFm. I'd say .078 or so for the LG. I used .062 and it's a touch floppy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Flyin'
Any suggestions on how to make and line up the holes through the fuse so everything works?
Hey, Ray, you might try installing the servos and rods before gluing on the fuse bottom. Glue the servos in place then lay an unbent (or un-paper-clipped in your case) length on rod from the control arm, across the fuse side out to where you want the control horn to be. Trace along the edges of the rod to mark the fuse side at the proper angle then cut a thin rectangle through the fuse side using your marks as a guide for how long to make the cut. Once the rod is in place you can let it dictate where along the control surface you put the control horn. Here's a pictorial I did with some scrap foam.
tuppertn is offline Find More Posts by tuppertn
Last edited by tuppertn; Oct 15, 2007 at 12:01 AM.
Old Oct 15, 2007, 01:27 AM
Joined Nov 2006
1,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Flyin'
My Blue Baby build is looking good, at least to me! It is my second foamie, the first being a STC. The STC has a profile fuse so the servos are visible. I would like to hide the servos and most of the control rods inside the fuse on the Blue Baby. I plan to use small carbon rods with bent paper clips on the ends for control rods. Any suggestions on how to make and line up the holes through the fuse so everything works?

I may take the easy way out and let the top of the servos show, but it would look better without much showing.

Ray
Hey Ray,

I started with the STS actually, that thing flew great for me. I ultimately went to this plane for the more realistic looking fuse and strong construction.

About the control rods... I used the micro control package for my linkage now. It comes with thing guage music wire, with a sleave, micro control links, horns. I first place the music wire on the plane on top connecting where the servo will be to the control horn, then the same on the side marking each spot. I then insert the music wire following the path marked. I then push the sleave over the wire and the job is done. Once you buy one of the kits, you can basically just buy music wire and re-use the sleaving/other parts on later planes. Sorry it is difficult to put into words, if you are confused I can put a picture up tomorrow.