HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 12, 2007, 11:42 PM
Joined Sep 2007
70 Posts
hi i just came across these plans and all i can say it THANKS - they are really good and i like the simplistic design.

however, i am stuck on one bit, what is holding the air foils curved shape?

foams ribs? is it possible that someone could get a picture of under the wing?

(all this is regarding the 33 inch original version)

any help is appreciated
DIYMark is offline Find More Posts by DIYMark
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2007, 11:59 PM
Micro Flyer "Q"
United States, MD, Silver Spring
Joined Sep 2003
1,397 Posts
One of the many of pixs of the BB showing the underside of the right wing panel. Blu-Cor will hold the curvature once it is "rolled" onto it. The wing saddle's curvature also aids in this respect when the wing is rubber banded to it.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=1460092
qban_flyer is offline Find More Posts by qban_flyer
Old Oct 13, 2007, 01:10 AM
Joined Sep 2007
70 Posts
ok thanks for those pictures - helped alot!

Blu-Cor? is that replaceable by depron or foam board (or is Blu-cor depron or foam board itself).

btw has anyone built a version with ailerons?
DIYMark is offline Find More Posts by DIYMark
Old Oct 13, 2007, 01:30 AM
Joined Nov 2006
1,067 Posts
Just finished the mounting of my floats onto the BB33(actually 40" UC). Excuse the goofy motor mount, I am awaiting my stick mount for the Blue Wonder.

The floats look a bit big, they were designed for a slightly larger plane that now is scrapped.

I used Bamboo lashed to music wire which is then connected to a custom aluminum gear attachment.
Kurpal is offline Find More Posts by Kurpal
Old Oct 13, 2007, 06:12 AM
White Mountains in NH
In the White Mountains of NH
Joined Dec 2006
296 Posts
I have had good luck ordering from United Hobbies. I would like to stock up on supplies to build BBs. If you were stocking up, what would you order?
David
dlabrie is offline Find More Posts by dlabrie
Old Oct 13, 2007, 07:40 AM
I'm not flying backwards!
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennS
Howdy all.
Despite windy conditions again today, I took the BBAP2 down to the field for a maiden.
It took off in about 2 metres and sailed around the sky very nicely. No need for trim or CG changes.
The CG came out just right with a 1700mAH 20C pack.
The wind was such that when I cut the throttle for a glide, it was slowly going backwards. It landed nicely on both flights.
Am very happy with the performance in the winds today. Cant wait for some calm conditions.
The BM2409-18 motor had ample power, most of the time it was just cruising around with one third throttle. WOT the motor is pulling about 20 Amps on the GWS 10x8.
I ended up putting balsa aileron stock on the TE of the Clark Y foam wing so that the rubber bands didnt cut into it and to give the TE a bit of strength as the foam edges was a little thin.
Might put some CF tube or skewer on the horiz stab to make it a bit more rigid.
What has everyone else done with their antenna? Mine is just trailing out the end of the fuse at the moment.
Now to mount the camera!

Thanks again Tony.

Cheers,
Glenn.
Glenn, congratulations on your maiden. It's great when it flies right off the building board. Wait until you try it in calm conditions!

Like you, my antennae is just hanging out the back through the slot. No problems, good reception!

Tony

PS: Keep us posted as to how that motor works on th BBAP2. It's on my short list.
Tony65x55 is offline Find More Posts by Tony65x55
Last edited by Tony65x55; Oct 13, 2007 at 07:55 AM.
Old Oct 13, 2007, 07:47 AM
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurpal
Too much? No such thing. Just make sure you battery packs can handle that kinda amp draw. That really is where you get into trouble anyhow is getting a pack large enough to handle the amps, and then you get to be too heavy. You could even prop it down to draw very few amps at a high efficiency.
Balance Grasshopper, balance. There is such a thing as too much power and for an aircraft to perform right, all things must be in balance with each other. Only when all yings are countered with yangs can one truly reach the plateau of cosmic enlightenment. Then, when you can take this pebble from my hand, you may leave.

(what the heck am I talking about)

Yeah, 25 amps should be great on the 52" BB. With the KFm3 or ClarkY wings, it's pretty agile for such a big plane and 25 amps should make it perform.

Tony
Old Oct 13, 2007, 07:52 AM
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYMark
ok thanks for those pictures - helped alot!

Blu-Cor? is that replaceable by depron or foam board (or is Blu-cor depron or foam board itself).

btw has anyone built a version with ailerons?
Mark, welcome to the Blu-Baby thread. You're in for some fun!

Many have built the BB with ailerons but truthfully, I don't recommend it for the UC wing. It can be done but even with a ton of exponential throw on it, aileron performance isn't pretty. UC wings just don't like ailerons. The KFm2 airfoil on the 33" BB will roll like a turpentined cat.

Lots of folks have built the BB from depron and foam board. Works great.

Tony
Old Oct 13, 2007, 07:54 AM
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Quote:
Just finished the mounting of my floats onto the BB33(actually 40" UC). Excuse the goofy motor mount, I am awaiting my stick mount for the Blue Wonder.

The floats look a bit big, they were designed for a slightly larger plane that now is scrapped.

I used Bamboo lashed to music wire which is then connected to a custom aluminum gear attachment.
Looks like it would work to me. Floats look good too. Let us know how it performs.

Tony
Old Oct 13, 2007, 08:02 AM
Postcards From The Purple Edge
United States, OK, Sand Springs
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennS
I have a KDA-20-20L which seems to be the same as the KDA-20-22L except the Kv is a little higher (less turns). While its a great well made little motor for the price, I found mine got stinking hot if I ran it at 15Amps for 20 seconds or so.
That was with ambient temps of about 25-30 degrees C.
Glenn.
Quote:
Kev: I had a question about that KDA 20-22L, I am actually awaiting mine in the mail as I write this. Can that little motor handle the 15 amps continous it is supposed to? My guess is not. Also, more importantly how will the amp draw be from a 11x3.8 APC prop vs 10x4.7? I will also have a 10x5E prop as well.
The 20-20L is quite a bit different. The higher kV makes it run considerably hotter. I ran an 11x4.7SF on my 20-22L for several flights before my HD's came in. It draws right at 15A, 163W. It was warm after a 15-second static run, but certainly not hot. I wasn't impresseed with the performance increase over the 10x4.7SF for the extra amps. I think it was probably on the downslope of its efficiency curve. An 11" E would probably be fine and certainly an HD .
tuppertn is offline Find More Posts by tuppertn
Old Oct 13, 2007, 01:21 PM
Registered Aircraft Offender
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,519 Posts
dlabrie, the hxt900 servos are awesome for all sizes of bb's (and most other foamies). the power system parts depend on what size bb you make. the hxt "blue wonder" motor and a pentium 10 esc are a great choice for a 32"bb. for the bbap's, and probably the 42" as well, a solid choice would be the kda20-22L motor with a pentium 18 esc. as for batteries, the hxt d9 series are great. something like around a 2s900 up to 3s1320 are good for a 32"bb, and anywhere between 2s1320 to 3s2200 (or even more depending on motor & payload) would be good for the larger bb's. uh also sells linkage parts, but they're often out of stock when i order. they also carry the renowned corona recievers, however i'm not sure if they'll ever get more in stock (they ceased carrying the single conversions, and haven't got the dual conversions in yet).

that should get you started.
kev

[edited to correct a typo in the pentium 18 link, which linked to the guard 18.]
Truglodite is offline Find More Posts by Truglodite
Last edited by Truglodite; Oct 13, 2007 at 02:30 PM.
Old Oct 13, 2007, 01:57 PM
Micro Flyer "Q"
United States, MD, Silver Spring
Joined Sep 2003
1,397 Posts
Extremely informative post Kev. Saved the e-mail notification to it onto HDD for future use. Without a doubt it is one the best I've seen here in quite sometime!
qban_flyer is offline Find More Posts by qban_flyer
Old Oct 13, 2007, 02:27 PM
Registered Aircraft Offender
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,519 Posts
np qban.

btw, more of my $.02's: for recievers, i've found for the price, berg's are a very good investment for all my planes. take my micro 3d helicopter for example, which has 2 gyros, pheonix 10, himax 2015, & a 10A brushed esc, all tightly bundled together (a very noisy environment for sure). a gws rx & polk seeker 6 rx both failed due to all the noise. the berg was the only one that never glitched in this situation. as far as range, i nearly specked out my bb60" with a berg7l, and my 87mph micro wing specks out quickly with a berg 4l (can't afford glitches with that one ). oh, and there's a video on youtube comparing the berg, corona, and gws rx's. the corona comes close, but the berg has the better range hands down.

kev
Truglodite is offline Find More Posts by Truglodite
Last edited by Truglodite; Oct 13, 2007 at 02:47 PM.
Old Oct 13, 2007, 06:35 PM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,137 Posts
Flew my BB48KF for a solid hour today. Ok, so it took 5 batteries, but I flew it crash-free for an hour nonetheless. The BP2410-08* on a 10x3.8 putts along well enough -- inverted flight, big loops, barrel rolls, but it was much more fun on an 11x4.7, (though I already burned-up one BP8Y on that prop). I think I need to try a 9x6, 9x5, or 10x4.7 and see if any of those works better. I may have to break down and get a kda20-22.
warhead_71 is offline Find More Posts by warhead_71
Old Oct 13, 2007, 07:51 PM
Joined Nov 2006
1,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony65x55
Looks like it would work to me. Floats look good too. Let us know how it performs.

Tony
It flew just fine with the floats on the plane. A little more throttle but not much. I also had to trim the elevator about 15-20 clicks to have it fly level.

It however would NOT ROG. I have used these floats before as I said with another plane(same wing actually), and they worked great. Today they got on step just fine, but it would never lift up off of water.

Possible problems might be the algea bloom on the surface of the lake, but it taxied ok and got onto step just fine... I may have covered the bottom of the floats before when I used them, Today I only covered the front part of the floats, leaving the step just the painted pink foam - also increasing drag. My guess is that I just really need to redesign my floats, I will take a look at the ones for the 44" BB, also did you post a plan for the 33" BB?
Kurpal is offline Find More Posts by Kurpal