SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 18, 2010, 05:21 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffindor View Post
Great. I'll use a bamboo skewer I have for the LE, some CF for a wing spar, ,and maybe some more skewers for struts???

PS. Does the dihedral have to change?
Clear this up:

1. bamboo skewer on leading edge, might be enough if long enough to go all the way to tip.

2. Carbon fiber wing spar better, and that is all you need, maybe some packing tape to protect leading edge from dings.

two spars won't hurt, only stronger.

Or, 3. (not all methods at once) The struts would be for a fiber tape only wing that is flat. An undercamber wing would work with only tape because the camber stiffens things up.

33" BB, dihedral 1 1/2 " at each tip.
42" BB dihedrAL 2" at each tip.

so yes dihedral same as THT UNDERCAMBER WING. NOT the KFm wing (which has less because of aileron addition).
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 18, 2010, 06:12 PM
Ontario, Canada
Joined Apr 2010
2,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddie B View Post
so yes dihedral same as THT UNDERCAMBER WING. NOT the KFm wing (which has less because of aileron addition).
I've built 3ch RET BB 33's with the KFM wing. I've always used the UC wing dihedral. Works just fine. The rule of thumb for dihedral is a simple one:

0-3 deg for ailerons
3-5 deg RET (no ailerons)

* dihedral for each wing panel

The BB33 UC has approximately 5 deg dihedral.
philipa_240sx is offline Find More Posts by philipa_240sx
Old Sep 18, 2010, 06:21 PM
Crash it first, Then fly it
The Big Apple
Joined Jul 2008
536 Posts
Thanks!
Griffindor is offline Find More Posts by Griffindor
Old Sep 18, 2010, 06:35 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,924 Posts
And for those that find it hard to measure dihedral in degrees and prefer the tip height, you can use a trig calculator to figure out the tip height. For a 16.5" wing panel (half of a BB 33 wing) and the angles mentioned the nominal heights would be:

3 degrees = 0.864" = 7/8"

5 degrees = 1.438" = 1-7/16"

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
Old Sep 19, 2010, 09:54 AM
Joined May 2009
292 Posts
First off: I need to give a huge THANK YOU to everyone on RCgroups. Today's flight was a huge success and I owe it all to this forum.

Today was a big day! The maiden flight (yesterday) resulted in a snapped wing about 1.5 seconds after take off. Apparently balsa dowels (LE and TE) are not enough reinforcement for 5 mm depron wings. Today I glued the wing back together (Por) and reinforced the bottom of the UC wing with two bamboo sticks, fastened together with a CA soaked string. Hot glued them to the bottom, then used that really thin tape to make a smooth covering over the bamboo. Also put a couple of long strips along the top and bottom of the wing to help reinforce it further.

Strapped the wing on, threw in a 1200 mAH 3s battery, crossed my fingers and hand launched my baby! She was immediately stable and climbed beautifully under 1/2 power. Plenty of juice with that 1100 kV motor (8 x 4 prop).

Had some friends with me who'd never seen an RC plane "up close" before--they were quite awed at how smooth and calm it behaved. She really does just 'float around' up there. Really shocked at how well it turns using only the rudder (I plugged it into the aileron channel). Did a few big loops, a couple of slow fly bys (real crowd pleasers), and even had a couple of newbies take the stick for a minute (need to set up dual rates). Landing on a soccer field felt real nice--just a small bounce and a skid.

I think I've got some issues with my speed control cutting out too early, but I'll save that for another post. This one is ALL GOOD. This plane is a real winner (not that I'm the first to figure that out!).

Thanks again everyone! Pics and videos to come soon!
Ryan
doughpat is offline Find More Posts by doughpat
Old Sep 19, 2010, 11:04 AM
Ontario, Canada
Joined Apr 2010
2,530 Posts
Congrats on your maiden doughpat!
philipa_240sx is offline Find More Posts by philipa_240sx
Old Sep 19, 2010, 11:14 AM
Flying more::repairing less
The Alamo City
Joined Feb 2007
67 Posts
Ryan,

Glad to see your excitement. The BB33 was the bird that hooked me into this great hobby. It only gets better from here!

Travis
trteboe is offline Find More Posts by trteboe
Old Sep 19, 2010, 11:33 AM
Guyana, Upper Demerara-Berbice, Linden
Joined Aug 2010
6 Posts
Awesome!!!!
Mr.Bones is offline Find More Posts by Mr.Bones
Old Sep 19, 2010, 12:08 PM
LaGrange, GA
Joined Jun 2009
1,816 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trteboe View Post
The BB33 was the bird that hooked me into this great hobby.
Same here. If not for the BB33, I probably would have given up on the hobby. Congratulations on the successful flight Ryan!!!
JohnsPop is offline Find More Posts by JohnsPop
Old Sep 19, 2010, 12:16 PM
The Big Apple
Joined Jul 2008
536 Posts
I;ll have to make struts, since I don't have any skewrs or CF long enough for the length of the wing. It'll look like a piper cub when I'm done with it!

PS
I remember some one telling me this somewhere before, but I can't find the post.

What is the thickness of readiboard???
Old Sep 19, 2010, 12:18 PM
LaGrange, GA
Joined Jun 2009
1,816 Posts
You can't get dowels at Home Depot or Walmart? They're cheaper at Walmart, but I usually have to dig through the bin to find something close to straight.
JohnsPop is offline Find More Posts by JohnsPop
Old Sep 19, 2010, 12:19 PM
The Big Apple
Joined Jul 2008
536 Posts
I also had to shave off the end of the BB alittle, or my motor and prop would cut it off for me!!

Now it's fine.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 12:21 PM
The Big Apple
Joined Jul 2008
536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsPop View Post
You can't get dowels at Home Depot or Walmart? They're cheaper at Walmart, but I usually have to dig through the bin to find something close to straight.
Based on my dad's brokeness ,I won't buy much more than 2 dollars worth of stuff every month or so. I pretty much have enough for some boards, and just barely.

If I can dig enough quaters out from under the coach, I might be able to get some dowels next time.

Oh wait!! I have some CF arrows from my archer set. I really hate those arrows, and preferr aluminum much more, so I'll take of the tip, feathers, and nock of some.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 12:30 PM
RC Adddict
Canada, BC, Williams Lake
Joined Jan 2010
4,176 Posts
Ryan congrats on the great flight and getting to newbs to fly it around a bit as well . I saw your comment on throttle cutting out to soon and this may help http://boydhobby.com/Documents/Towerpro%20H40A.pdf Ive had to set my thrrotle range with every new esc ive gotten in this manner . Basically you turn on your TX put the throttle stick to maximum then plug in the battery ( keep hands clear of prop as ive had 1 ESC starting spinning the prop when doing this ) You'll hear the normal beap and then some beaps indicating how many battery cells ie 3 after the 3 beeps you will hear 2 more beeps at this point move the throttle stick down to its lowest setting , once there you should here 1 more beep to indicate system is armed and ready to go . You can try throttling up from there or just disconnect the battery but this should get rid of any dead spots in the start off your throttle range .

Chris
Wilfor is offline Find More Posts by Wilfor
Old Sep 19, 2010, 06:06 PM
The Big Apple
Joined Jul 2008
536 Posts
The problem is that I went to the store today to pick up some foam, and it was way over the expected 2 dollars. WIth tax, it was 5.53!!! I didn't get it, so I won't be able to do much else. I will cut out some plans for other planes, but not much.

I don't think I'll be able to use the arrows, because it is so hard to get the nock and top off. I've seen how they install them, and they are made scratchbuilder-proof Also, they may be too thick.

Most likelt will do struts. It'll look cool too. My 9 year old brother wants me to make him a plane, so i'll just let him have a go at this plane when i finish.