HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 12, 2010, 05:24 PM
Crash it first, Then fly it
The Big Apple
Joined Jul 2008
536 Posts
I am gluing in the skid and the gear now, and I made some fillers and glued them in for the monobloc. The skid's green color is slightly darker in real life, and that's going to be one of the camo colors. My decal sheet will come soon. I just enrolled in the AMA a couple of weeks ago, so my AMA number should get to me soo. Once I get it, I'lll make it a decal too.

FOr decals, ,I just printon reg paper, place tracing paper over it,, color in the tracing paper,, color back of tracing paper white, cut out decals, and stick onto plane. Works great for me. From a foot away, they look real. It's only when you look so close, most people have to use glasses that you can see that it's hand made.
Griffindor is offline Find More Posts by Griffindor
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2010, 08:40 PM
LaGrange, GA
Joined Jun 2009
1,817 Posts
Does your skid extend into your foam or is that just a wood triangle glued onto the foam? If you do much steering on the ground that'll probably get ripped off pretty quick.... don't ask me how I know.
JohnsPop is online now Find More Posts by JohnsPop
Old Sep 12, 2010, 09:49 PM
Crash it first, Then fly it
The Big Apple
Joined Jul 2008
536 Posts
Your right John. I'll cut a new one with a long tab thing that extends into the Fuse. Only if it falls off.. I won't do much steering on the ground most likely. I like to fly on the air more than on the gound

Sad that school is going to kick into higher gears tomorrow. I will only have a couple of hours a WEEK to be able to work. So sad...
Griffindor is offline Find More Posts by Griffindor
Old Sep 12, 2010, 09:58 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,856 Posts
Grif: a popsickle stick makes a great skid, you can extend it up into the fuse and gg or hot glue it in place. Also wears pretty well on pavement.
springer is online now Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OneSheeter#17 OSC140 debut
Old Sep 12, 2010, 10:05 PM
LaGrange, GA
Joined Jun 2009
1,817 Posts
I agree with you, I just know how many I've knocked off. LOL I might try a steerable wire skid or a steerable tail wheel on my next one just for kicks.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 11:16 PM
A Day @ a Time - Matt. 6:25-34
North AL, USA
Joined Nov 2009
1,946 Posts
I used a zip tie for a skid. Gives you some shock absorbency and a way to hang your bird on the wall.
ruff1 is offline Find More Posts by ruff1
Old Sep 12, 2010, 11:32 PM
LaGrange, GA
Joined Jun 2009
1,817 Posts
Well you know, I tried that but I ripped that off too. LOL I may have used a too big/small a one, I don't know. I've been pretty successful with the popsicle stick method, but I make a T of them long-wise. I take about a 2-3" piece and CA another same size piece to it in the middle long-ways. Then I glue that onto the bottom of the plane..... that gives more surface area for the glue to hold onto the foam and that has seemed to work pretty well for me. I only knock it off every once in a while now. I thought about going with the popsicle stick up in the fuse like Springer mentioned but I figured then I'd take the whole tail off! LOL Where I usually fly my foamies the driveway is the old concrete type with a bunch of pebbles exposed and if you skid around on that it's easy to rip something loose. Smooth asphalt isn't much a problem. We're building a brand new flying field out on a closed area of our county landfill so hopefully one of these days we'll have a nice new asphalt runway!
Old Sep 13, 2010, 05:29 AM
Ipoh, Perak Malaysia
Joined Jul 2006
4,011 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffindor View Post
chew,

could I do the same thing, except with two servos, just the regullar arms pointing at 90 degrees away from each other, both at 45 degrees to the LE?
Yes, that would work if you do not have a programmable tx. However, fisrt try it at 30 deg forward, not 45. That may be too much and you may not get the most upward movement from the movement of the servo arms

chewy
chewytm is offline Find More Posts by chewytm
Old Sep 13, 2010, 06:02 AM
Ontario, Canada
Joined Apr 2010
2,539 Posts
A steerable tail wheel is quite easy to make. Mine is made in 2 parts and connected using a Dubro collar. This allows for adjustment and easier assembly/servicing. Never had mine rip off despite some pretty hard landings.
philipa_240sx is offline Find More Posts by philipa_240sx
Old Sep 13, 2010, 07:12 AM
A Day @ a Time - Matt. 6:25-34
North AL, USA
Joined Nov 2009
1,946 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by philipa_240sx View Post
A steerable tail wheel is quite easy to make.
Very nice, I could have used this at the field Saturday. I know what to do next time.
ruff1 is offline Find More Posts by ruff1
Old Sep 13, 2010, 09:01 AM
Ontario, Canada
Joined Apr 2010
2,539 Posts
The bare guts of the wheel just to give you an idea.

- Notice the sleeve I used. I had some styrene tubing, but a coffee stir stick would probably work.
- Just above the collar is a plastic thrust washer.
- Not shown is the 'wedge' of wood I used. I simply cut, then drilled a hole at the correct angle for the sleeve to fit into. This allows the thrust washer to sit perpendicular and spreads the load into the softer foam fuse.

Hardware:
- Wheel is a Du-bro #DUB100MW 1" foam wheel from the LHS.
- Collar is #DUB138 Dura Collars - 3/32"
- Wheel retainer #DUB868 Micro Wheel Retainer 0.047"
- Wire is 0.047" pushrod wire.
Last edited by philipa_240sx; Sep 13, 2010 at 09:06 AM.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 09:15 AM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by philipa_240sx View Post
A steerable tail wheel is quite easy to make. Mine is made in 2 parts and connected using a Dubro collar. This allows for adjustment and easier assembly/servicing. Never had mine rip off despite some pretty hard landings.
I like your direct link to the pushrod via the horn. Great idea!

Ken
dz1sfb is offline Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old Sep 13, 2010, 09:31 AM
Ontario, Canada
Joined Apr 2010
2,539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dz1sfb View Post
I like your direct link to the pushrod via the horn. Great idea!

Ken
Yeah, wasn't sure if that was going to work. My big fear was that it would bind the rudder... but it worked just fine.

I've done other tail wheels with a single piece... but it's too difficult to bend the wire in place, hence the 2 piece system with collar.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 09:39 AM
Joined Jul 2009
803 Posts
i flew my blu baby with the afore mentioned changes and it flew...............GREAT.Nice and stable and it could handle some wind with the kfm2 wing.
TheTrashMan is offline Find More Posts by TheTrashMan
Old Sep 13, 2010, 12:19 PM
Joined May 2009
314 Posts
Well, I don't know how it happened, but it did: I've got waaaaay too much dihedral in my UC 33 wing. It's about 2.5" per wing (i.e. almost 5" when I lay one end down flat). Yikes. Unfortunately I've already glued it, taped it, and reinforced it with CA hardened balsa dowels on the LE and TE. So:

1.) What would the effect of excessive dihedral? (I'm hoping just a really REALLY stable plane...but I fear nose-diving on turns)

2.) Any ideas on how to fix it? (Depron-esque foam)
doughpat is offline Find More Posts by doughpat