Old Oct 10, 2007, 02:32 PM
The Dude Abides
Brockport
Joined Sep 2005
315 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead_71
P.S. Is this where you got your floats?
I actually got the floats from this thread some where back in the posts. They were designed by another rc grouper for a 42" Blu baby.
Beemus is offline Find More Posts by Beemus
Old Oct 10, 2007, 06:51 PM
I'm not flying backwards!
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennS
This thread certainly is bubbling along!
Congratulations Kev on the family addition!
Well, my BBAP2 is pretty well ready for a maiden at last. It just needs a receiver installed in it. AUW is 650gms, (without camera). I reckon this will increase a bit when I glass the wing. Can do this later, the wing is plenty rigid as it is. The glassing will fix up the fragile TE. Either that or will put balsa aileron stock on the TE.
The CG looks good, bang on 30% back from the LE without shuffling anything around, so probably a good place to start. Am using a BM2409-18 with a 10x8 prop.
Glenn.
Glenn, nice build. I bet she'll fly as good as she looks.

Beemus, love the 42" too. Good job, when is the maiden guys

Tony
Tony65x55 is offline Find More Posts by Tony65x55
Old Oct 10, 2007, 07:52 PM
Postcards From The Purple Edge
United States, OK, Sand Springs
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemus
I actually got the floats from this thread some where back in the posts. They were designed by another rc grouper for a 42" Blu baby.
Page 51 post #759. Tony's work.
tuppertn is offline Find More Posts by tuppertn
Old Oct 10, 2007, 08:31 PM
Muskogee, Ok
Joined Feb 2006
72 Posts
I've got my second BB33 on the building board, the first one was pretty much flown to death. I'm going with the KFM wing and I want to put a different motor on this one to get a little higher preformance. I'm looking for any reccomendations for a hotter motor/prop combo. Any help will be appricated.

Thanks Rick
Army Dad is offline Find More Posts by Army Dad
Old Oct 11, 2007, 07:26 AM
White Mountains in NH
In the White Mountains of NH
Joined Dec 2006
296 Posts
Well I got my blucor last night at Lowes. It was $33 for a large pack of it.

This will be my first scratch foam build. I was going to go for the large AP2, but maybe it would be wise to start with the 33". Any recommendations on which plane to start with?

Thanks,
David
dlabrie is offline Find More Posts by dlabrie
Old Oct 11, 2007, 07:34 AM
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlabrie
Any recommendations on which plane to start with?
Since this is your first scratchbuilt it might be good to start with the 33" or 42" one, make it fly (which it will), and get some confidence in your building skills. Though the BBAP2 is completely do-able, it's just a little more complex. The little ones can be put together in a couple hours the BBAP2 in a day or so.
Last edited by tuppertn; Oct 11, 2007 at 08:50 AM.
Old Oct 11, 2007, 07:50 AM
White Mountains in NH
In the White Mountains of NH
Joined Dec 2006
296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuppertn
Since this is your first scratchbuilt it might be good to start with the 33" or 42" one, make it fly (which it will), and get some confidence in your building skills. Though the BBAP2 is completely do-able, it's just a little more complex. The little ones can be put together in a coule hours the BBAP2 in a day or so.
Thanks,
That's what I was thinking. Also, it might be fun to have something that I can fly in a small area.

I'm going to have to put an order into United Hobbies :-)
dlabrie is offline Find More Posts by dlabrie
Old Oct 11, 2007, 08:41 AM
Went to mow a meadow
Joined Feb 2007
1,460 Posts
David

I'll go along with tupper on this, I'm "new" coming back to rc after 30 years Just finished BB 40" KFm. Deady easy build especially the KF wing. Only took a couple of nights to finish and really flies great!!

Like you I want to build the BBAP2 next but I'm going to get a bit more practise on the little one first ( thumbs don't seem to do what the brain tells 'em )

Best of luck

Frank
frank48 is offline Find More Posts by frank48
Old Oct 11, 2007, 08:44 AM
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army Dad
I've got my second BB33 on the building board, the first one was pretty much flown to death. I'm going with the KFM wing and I want to put a different motor on this one to get a little higher preformance. I'm looking for any reccomendations for a hotter motor/prop combo. Any help will be appricated.

Thanks Rick
Rick, the Blue Wonder from United Hobbies has gotten rave reviews from all who use it. It is here:

http://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITEDH...idProduct=2069

Small, light and relatively powerful for a little 33" BB.

Tony
Old Oct 11, 2007, 08:55 AM
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
David

Kendall's advice is, as usual, very sound. The little BB will introduce you to the techniques used on my planes. It's a very easy build and a terrific flyer. One you'll enjoy having in your hanger anyhow. The KFm3 wing is fabulous and represents the current state of art in the development of this airfoil. It isn't hard to do but has a few more pieces than the smaller ones. Well worth it though IMHO.

We are all here to help you through these builds. If you have any questions, you can have them answered in this great thread.

Tony

PS: I'm an old hand at the White Mountains and NH. Wonderful place.
Old Oct 11, 2007, 08:55 AM
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
I'll second the Blue Wonder, well, Silver Wonder in it's latest incarnation. Go with the 1300kV version. On 2s you can swing up to a 9x4.7SF or 10x3.8-E. On 3s up to a 9x5HD for around 9A. A burst of 100W is crazy power for a ~12oz trainer.
Last edited by tuppertn; Oct 11, 2007 at 09:13 AM.
Old Oct 11, 2007, 08:58 AM
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Kendall, take a peek at Foamenator's rendition of the Piper Pawnee Brave in the Pawnee thread. WOW!

Tony
Old Oct 11, 2007, 09:12 AM
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
Yep, that's over the top. Just like his Birddog BB. With a few exceptions I'm gradually becoming one with the gpw fly-'em-blue crowd. A little color under the wing if it's going up high. But that does look great. The Pawnee's on my to-do list (along with the SE5a, Infineon, Nasty, Wannabug, another SmartDart for Dad, Regal, etc, etc....)
Last edited by tuppertn; Oct 11, 2007 at 09:40 AM.
Old Oct 11, 2007, 10:12 AM
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuppertn
Yep, that's over the top. Just like his Birddog BB. With a few exceptions I'm gradually becoming one with the gpw fly-'em-blue crowd. A little color under the wing if it's going up high. But that does look great. The Pawnee's on my to-do list (along with the SE5a, Infineon, Nasty, Wannabug, another SmartDart for Dad, Regal, etc, etc....)
I hear you. GPW is a smart man. In the time it takes to put on a finish like that you can build another bird. But that Pawnee is sure pretty. Foamenator definitely has talent.

Tony