SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 04, 2010, 08:57 PM
Addicted to RC
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
2,742 Posts
Sent the guy a quick video on my 12" Blu-Baby. Thanks for sending him my way.

-Lee
YarSmythe is offline Find More Posts by YarSmythe
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 04, 2010, 09:26 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Update: Blue Baby Combat planes.

My buddy Joey and I got into some streamer combat today with the 2 BB 33" (russian/german camo). Had a blast. The way the BB's fly really made it more fun! You got to try it. Started with 12' long streamers made from dollar store crepe paper.

We did have 1 mid-air, My plane cut Joey's wing 1/3 the way through from the front, and two large propeller gashs, all the way through, and broke 1/2 his prop off. We both recovered, and watching Joey limp back to the landing strip, 1/2 prop, broken wing, and all. Way cool!

A testement to the design, and it's survivability! 5 minutes on the bench, and back in business! Going to have to get some video!

Fred
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
Old Sep 05, 2010, 12:16 AM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,455 Posts
Those are some great looking BBs Freddie B! Streamer combat has been great fun for the guys in our area.

Watch your six,
Ken
dz1sfb is offline Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old Sep 05, 2010, 08:55 AM
Cambridge Ontario
Joined Jul 2010
4 Posts
First Post

Well I finally caught up reading all the posts and thought I would introduce myself.

Complete noob to RC flying but I stumbled on this site through my interest in CNC . This led me to the Phlat forum and finally to the BluBaby.

I have the foam bought and most of a 42 fuse cut out. I have a radio and done some time on FMS.

Phillip is you don't mind dealing with a complete noob I'm in Hespeler

Ed
spyderxxx is offline Find More Posts by spyderxxx
Old Sep 05, 2010, 10:45 AM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,455 Posts
Welcome Ed!

I am impressed already that you have trudged through what is 15,000 replies and heading to a million views, a testament to this wonderful planes popularity. All good people here.

Ken
dz1sfb is offline Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old Sep 05, 2010, 11:02 AM
Cambridge Ontario
Joined Jul 2010
4 Posts
it wasn't a quick read. I'm more of a lurker and probably won't post much. A lot of people have come through this thread , stayed a while and left.

Build will also be slow

Ed
Old Sep 05, 2010, 01:03 PM
North of Lake Pontchartrain
Joined Jan 2006
235 Posts
Ed,
Can't you cut out fuse sides and monoblocks , et al .... with the CNC ?
You could start a home industry. I have access to autocad ... I think I'll try doing
dwg files of all the sizes ... does the CNC read dwg s or pdf s ?
Your perseverance in reading this whole thread is beyond admirable !
Wes
wgoostrey is offline Find More Posts by wgoostrey
Old Sep 05, 2010, 01:20 PM
Not always grumpy!!
UK, Eastleigh, Eastleigh
Joined Jul 2010
545 Posts
i would just like to say. when i joing this forum. i was a complete noob.

i bought a p51 warbird and failed terribly to fly it. then i found this forum, and this thread.

where i have and still do recieve great advice from the guys who have been doing this for a long time.

now i have a fully functional, BB42" and an optional 52" wing. i am also starting to build my very own grasshopper. for me it is the next step on.

so i really must say a MASSIVE thank you to all of you whom has helped me. plus an even bigger one to TONY65X55 for starting this thread in the first place, and very kindly sharing his fantastic plane with the world.

the bb is fantastic to fly and build your confidence with. i am doing so no problem with out a teacher.

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR EFFORTS, ADVICE AND TIME for me it is greatly apprechiated
insomaniac45 is offline Find More Posts by insomaniac45
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 05, 2010, 01:45 PM
Cambridge Ontario
Joined Jul 2010
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgoostrey View Post
Ed,
Can't you cut out fuse sides and monoblocks , et al .... with the CNC ?
You could start a home industry. I have access to autocad ... I think I'll try doing
dwg files of all the sizes ... does the CNC read dwg s or pdf s ?
Your perseverance in reading this whole thread is beyond admirable !
Wes
Tony's plans are "not for commercial use" so there is not a lot of use to make 50 or 100 of the same part. Also I have an interest in CNC but no machine.

Cnc machines use gcode which tells the motors how to turn. The gcode is generated fron dxf files by CAM software. I hope I got that right

Ed
Old Sep 05, 2010, 05:14 PM
If it flies, I will crash it
USA, CO, Westminster
Joined Jan 2008
3,022 Posts
Yep, you got it right. Nice to see someone aware of the notices as well. There are plenty of models out there to cut on you CNC Router, even Tony's for your own plane. To be honest I believe that dxf's were posted at one time for a couple of models and they can be used to generate gcode. I have gcode for both the 33 and the 42 but only for me.

Rob...
mxspode is offline Find More Posts by mxspode
Old Sep 05, 2010, 06:05 PM
Joined Jul 2009
803 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddie B View Post
Update: Blue Baby Combat planes.

My buddy Joey and I got into some streamer combat today with the 2 BB 33" (russian/german camo). Had a blast. The way the BB's fly really made it more fun! You got to try it. Started with 12' long streamers made from dollar store crepe paper.

We did have 1 mid-air, My plane cut Joey's wing 1/3 the way through from the front, and two large propeller gashs, all the way through, and broke 1/2 his prop off. We both recovered, and watching Joey limp back to the landing strip, 1/2 prop, broken wing, and all. Way cool!

A testement to the design, and it's survivability! 5 minutes on the bench, and back in business! Going to have to get some video!

Fred
Those look great!!What did you paint them with??
TheTrashMan is offline Find More Posts by TheTrashMan
Old Sep 05, 2010, 11:06 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by planeflyer94 View Post
Those look great!!What did you paint them with??
Yhanks for the compliments.

I painted them with standard craft paint, like Michael's and even Walmart sells. I did the German one, first coat, airbrush. But so much wasted time, I just free hand brushed the rest. 2 coats, a little thinned with water, done. Post spray with WBPU (Water based poly urithane), satin.

Worked so good, a 3rd was just completed, another Russian scheme, Blue, blue, gray, like a SU-27. Home made tissue decals as I posted on the previous thread on page 599, post #14,961 (and related link).

Fred
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
Old Sep 06, 2010, 05:55 AM
Crash it first, Then fly it
The Big Apple
Joined Jul 2008
536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddie B View Post
Yhanks for the compliments.

I painted them with standard craft paint, like Michael's and even Walmart sells. I did the German one, first coat, airbrush. But so much wasted time, I just free hand brushed the rest. 2 coats, a little thinned with water, done. Post spray with WBPU (Water based poly urithane), satin.

Worked so good, a 3rd was just completed, another Russian scheme, Blue, blue, gray, like a SU-27. Home made tissue decals as I posted on the previous thread on page 599, post #14,961 (and related link).

Fred
What foam are you working with? Will the paint eat my foam, and was the paint heavy or what?

Thanks.
Griffindor is offline Find More Posts by Griffindor
Old Sep 06, 2010, 12:27 PM
Joined Jul 2009
803 Posts
Where is the cg on the 33 inch kfm 2 wing???
TheTrashMan is offline Find More Posts by TheTrashMan
Old Sep 06, 2010, 01:21 PM
Ontario, Canada
Joined Apr 2010
2,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by planeflyer94 View Post
Where is the cg on the 33 inch kfm 2 wing???
For initial setup, I use 35% of chord (from the LE) for all my KFM2 or KFM3 wings. On a BB33 with KFM2 or 3 wing, that means 2.9" from the LE (35% * 8.3").
philipa_240sx is offline Find More Posts by philipa_240sx