HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 04, 2007, 01:53 PM
Joined May 2007
9 Posts
Discussion
122 Tips and Tricks for building airplanes

I'm new to RC flying and am doing a lot of research. Looking for monocoting help, I found this site.

http://66.219.103.169/tips/

It has 122 tips and tricks for building and finishing model planes. There's a lot of good info here.
cracker39 is offline Find More Posts by cracker39
to remove ads between posts
Old May 05, 2007, 04:45 PM
Smoke me a Kipper
Cedar Grove North Carolina
Joined Oct 2006
1,211 Posts
great find thanks for that
fritzdecat is offline Find More Posts by fritzdecat
Old May 05, 2007, 05:15 PM
"Cracking Toast Grommit!"
Sanford, NC
Joined Feb 2005
679 Posts
This is a great tip,
Tip 18
A easy way to add a different look to your creation is to tint the canopy a color that compliments your airplane's color scheme. Rit Cloth Dye, available in most any supermarket, fabric store, or drug store will tint the clear plastic quite well. Mix up the dye in luke warm water in a container large enough to immerse the entire canopy. Dip the canopy for period of one minute or so, until you get the feel on how fast the dye is "taking". Rinse in cool water and dry off. If it is not dark enough, dip it again. I've had some that I have had to leave in the dye for an hour to get the effect I wanted. You can even be tricky about the tint by making a fixture to hold only a certain part of the canopy in the dye. How about two tone tinting jobs? Anyway, the effects you get are only limited by your imagination.

Cool!
metalbuggy is offline Find More Posts by metalbuggy
Old May 20, 2007, 10:32 PM
KER
Joined Apr 2007
58 Posts
Tip #1 has a problem, there are two types of Rust-Oleum, one is water base and says fast drying, This is not fuel proof, you need to buy the oil based type. Don't ask me how I know, a sad story.
Kimbell
KER is offline Find More Posts by KER
Old May 20, 2007, 11:48 PM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,684 Posts
tip #3
Two liter Coke bottles have a black plastic reinforcement on the bottom of the bottle. This reinforcement piece makes an excellent radial engine cowling for your next project.

Gotta wonder how old this list is.... If you are under 18 I doubt you know what this guy is talking about.

jay
soholingo is offline Find More Posts by soholingo
Old May 21, 2007, 09:00 AM
Joined Jul 2005
1,872 Posts
Jay sounds to be a practible person.

I think the author ought to cut it back to 121 ideas, and exclude number six. The See's Candy. It isn't for dibetics, nor available across all of the readership areas. As products come and go off the store shelves quite often now, I wonder how many of the Hints are practible.

And surely that Nylon stocking trick had no relationship to what leg size here also. If you fly 1/2A and only a heavy weight wife, those old nylon stockings will wrap around the wing two or three times. Ever try and cut them? If you use scissors, they come all apart and the seams run.

Wm.
coosbaylumber is offline Find More Posts by coosbaylumber