HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 23, 2002, 05:44 PM
David Cairns
Orange, CA
Joined Apr 2002
1,095 Posts
Who wants to be the first to build this?

Who wants to try and make a sloper of this plane?

[/IMG]

15 MB movie of it flying:
http://www.boeing.com/news/releases/...eo/lb03235.mov

How about it, Russ? wanna make some molds for the rest of us lazy builders? I am sure you would enjoy the challange of figuring out where the CG on this thing goes. It must be getting a fair amount of lift from the body to have the wings so far back.

-Dave
dcairns is offline Find More Posts by dcairns
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 23, 2002, 06:21 PM
No fuse too fat
USA, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Apr 2002
3,906 Posts
Yes, I think it will be the classic, "this plane was built to fly at supersonic speeds, but I want to make it a glider" problem. I think you will be hard pressed to create any fuse that will provide enough lift to fly at our subsonic slope speeds with the wing in that position. Hehehehe. Pretty cool looking plane though.

Russ.
slopeiron is offline Find More Posts by slopeiron
Old Oct 23, 2002, 06:26 PM
David Cairns
Orange, CA
Joined Apr 2002
1,095 Posts
Actually, I think it is sub-sonic, but you are right, it flys in a different realm than our gliders, low on wing span and fat on fuselage to boot. Would look pretty mean doing stall turns at Fermin, though
Old Oct 23, 2002, 06:41 PM
No fuse too fat
USA, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Apr 2002
3,906 Posts
Actually, the wing looks quite a bit longer from this angle. It might be possible to get it to fly if you mounted all your radio gear in the tail. But still don't think it would be incredibly aerobatic.

Russ.
slopeiron is offline Find More Posts by slopeiron
Old Oct 23, 2002, 06:46 PM
David Cairns
Orange, CA
Joined Apr 2002
1,095 Posts
I forgot to link that pic. It is amazing how these stealth type planes look so different from different angles. Part of the visual aspect of stealth. Or perhaps they are purposely choosing distorting views to hide it's shape.

But just imagine flattening the fuselage a bit to cut down on drag...