SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 03, 2007, 04:35 PM
Rural Westchester, NY
Joined Oct 2005
667 Posts
Discussion
Art-Tech Mustang P51 RTF Owners and Adapters Thread

If someone knows of an active thread already on this topic just post a link and I'll jump over there, but the only one I found was "New P51 for Beginners" .

Photo courtesy of Hobby Lobby.

Anyways, I've been wanting a P51 for a long time and have tried a friend's Park Zone and a GWS and was seriously considering the Alfa model, but was nervous about the first launch characteristics. So when I saw the Art-Tech P51 advertised by Hobby Lobby as "a Mustang that anyone can fly" and when I looked at the wing loading of 10 ozs/sqft I decided to give it a try. Well it came in the mail today and so here I am . . .

First let me say I liked it, and it was stable once it was trimmed out, but my personal opinion is that this is NOT for a beginner. Of course that's only one guys opinion.

The build
I put it together in about 40 mins, and actually finished before the battery was charged. My only complaint with the assembly was that the tail fairing screws were extremely difficult to line up properly and one of my screws is not in as a result. A small amount of UHU glue solved the problem for me.

Pre-flight
Two tiny issues here. One, the rudder did not have as much authority to the right as it did to the left and the control linkage was flexing from the effort of pushing right so I cut away some of the hinge to free up the movement. Whether or not this will be a problem in the long run I don't know. And two, the motor made a very bad sound at full throttle during static runup. No real vibration just a noise. It is quite possible the motor housing was pulling away from its seat and rubbing somewhere it shouldn't be rubbing because the model was being held static. In fact since the noise was not evident in flight that is my best guess. Also I should note that all the flight controls seemed to be well aligned right out of the box. I did not adjust any of the clevises prior to launching, and I opted to go "gearless". Personally I can't stand the look of a plane flying around with its gear down. Notably, the 4 bladed prop seemed perfectly balanced.

Maiden Launch
I was fortunate enough to have a friend launch the first flight, and I gave it slightly less than full throttle to avoid the strange noise. After launch it climbed immediately. In fact it climbed a bit too much. I let it climb, but had to add full nose down trim to keep good control. At first my buddy thought it might be out of CG, but after bringing it around for a landing we realized that the elevator had about 2 mm of up trim in it. We took that out and relaunched, and it flew well. I next had to add a touch of left wing down trim for level flight, but once that was in she flew fine "hands free". I consider myself an intermediate pilot, and I felt like this plane was "challenging". The ailerons are quite effective, and it was perhaps too easy to stall in the turns (that's called an accelerated stall for you aviation buffs - wings will stop flying at a higher airspeed when they are banking versus when they are flying straight and level) I found myself making some of my turns too steep, and everytime I did that the plane lost 50 feet of altitude so thank goodness I had it up high enough. At first I felt like I needed to run the plane around at full throttle, but once I slowed my banks down and retrimmed the plane for a slower speed I realized the true beauty of this model - it slows down as well as the E-Flite P47. Being able to slow it way down made landing a cinch, and even with the 4 bladed prop bumping into the grass she slid into a nice soft belly landing (no gear) right in front of me each time. For other intermediate pilots all I can say is just be careful not to overbank the turns and you'll do fine. As for performance, it was good, but not great. Loops were possible, but not from straight and level, and rolls were slow and required a slight loss of altitude also.

Pros and Cons for me:

Pros
Looks great right out of the box. Especially the 4 bladed prop.
Honest flyer on maiden launch.
Very slow flyer on landing with a gentle stall on the straight ahead.
Battery fits perfectly, and comes with a rapid charger.
Battery and charger use the ubiquitous Deans Ultra plugs!
72 MHz so if you want you can change the crystal and use your TX.

Cons
Price. Seems a bit high given all the competition.
Only comes as a RTF kit with transmitter included.
Some of the decals needed a little extra glue to secure them.
High end performance. Not quite the "punch" I'd like to see.

My personal suggestions are:

- come up with an ARF kit like the E'Flite P47. (I'd even pay $99.99.)

OR

- find an outrunner that has 50 more watts of output.

Next up I plan on buying all the parts to see how hard it is to put together a modified version of the same plane using my own motor and micro sevos. The big question is what do I get in terms of decals and paint when I buy the parts.

That's it for now . . . so who else has one? What modifications have people done? What does everyone think?
2Sunny is offline Find More Posts by 2Sunny
to remove ads between posts
Old May 03, 2007, 08:05 PM
Rural Westchester, NY
Joined Oct 2005
667 Posts
Proper thread.

I found the proper thread. I would suggest answering and subscribing to

Hobby-Lobby Mustang

for those that are interested.

Joe
2Sunny is offline Find More Posts by 2Sunny
Old Mar 19, 2009, 06:42 PM
Joined Feb 2009
6 Posts
2 Sunny: I bought a P51-D from HL and the elevator and ailerons would not move at all! After sending some parts They sent me a whole new plane! This is my first model so I am a novis! I do have a pilot license so I understand the attitude the Plane should be in to be airworthy! Upon preflight exam the elevator didn't move properly so I opened up the canopy and discovered the servo was loose and moving instead of the elevator. I am capable of repairing this but my question is, should the elevator be parallel to the fixed part of the tail? After trimming the elevator it appears to be in a dive position unless hand controller corrected and when controller is released it appears in the slight dive position again! Could you describe the appearance of your plane as I would like my maiden flight be semi successful! Thanks for any help here! Jim Eriksen (aka Jimboark)
jimboark is offline Find More Posts by jimboark
Old Nov 11, 2009, 02:56 PM
Apprentice Flunky
Oceanside, CA
Joined Aug 2008
22 Posts
I'm going to give this old thread a bump. I've been flying a stock HL Art-Tech P-51 for a year. At the time I totalled it, even its patches had patches. I use the stock motor and kept the 4-blade prop on it, replacing it after crashes. I like the speed it flies, and I like the noise the 4-blade prop makes on steep dives. After taking off the landing gear, it became my favorite belly lander. Anyway, just to let you know, Hobby City/Hobby King now sells it receiver-ready for about $75. I bought one to replace my totalled bird. Lose the gear. Add expo to the ailerons. Glue on the spinner. Keep the epoxy on hand.
landloper is offline Find More Posts by landloper
Old Apr 02, 2010, 08:07 AM
Joined Sep 2009
306 Posts
This plane is now available as a 'receiver ready' kit for only $49.99! That includes the plane, brushless motor, esc, servos! All that for $50! I am really really thinking of purchasing one!

How does it fly compared to the P-51D BL by parkzone?
earthling1984 is offline Find More Posts by earthling1984
Old Apr 09, 2010, 10:29 AM
Always Fly 2 Mistakes High!
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,638 Posts
Where is this kit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthling1984 View Post
This plane is now available as a 'receiver ready' kit for only $49.99! That includes the plane, brushless motor, esc, servos! All that for $50! I am really really thinking of purchasing one!

How does it fly compared to the P-51D BL by parkzone?
So where is this "kit" available for $49.99 ???
Inquiring minds want to know
RGS2010 is offline Find More Posts by RGS2010
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Catch Up 2013-2014
Old Jul 07, 2010, 10:59 AM
me, right now.
United States, NC, Clayton
Joined Nov 2009
498 Posts
HobbyKing.com
hooligan russ is offline Find More Posts by hooligan russ
Old Jul 07, 2010, 01:13 PM
San Antonio, TX.
Joined Feb 2009
641 Posts
The Mini P-51 is $49.99.http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...er_Plug-n-Fly_
malden86 is offline Find More Posts by malden86
Old May 30, 2011, 09:21 AM
DIVE BOMB!... classic
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined May 2011
79 Posts
I just picked up one of these babies, and I really enjoyed how it flew. This is my first warbird, and I actually just took it up for the maiden yesterday! it was probably too windy for the plane, but she flew pretty good. I was able to do a couple loops and rolls.
I noticed on my first landing that I needed quite a bit of power to keep it from smashing into the concrete... is there any help i could get on landing this bird.

scott
MamOOsh is offline Find More Posts by MamOOsh
Old Nov 22, 2011, 06:23 PM
United States, NY, Wappingers Falls
Joined Jun 2011
578 Posts
subscribed

ssss
Maddmax is offline Find More Posts by Maddmax