SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 23, 2002, 11:47 AM
san diego
Joined Oct 2001
17 Posts
Recommendations for intermediate sport/aerobatic plane?

I am an intermediate pilot looking for recommendations as to an easy to fly plane with some aerobatic capability. 3D capability is not required and I am open to kits, ARFs, ARCs or whatever. I would prefer something with at least a 48 inch wingspan as larger is generally easier to fly. As to power I'm willing to invest in a new system although I have an AXI 2820/10 direct drive available from a crashed Accord 47 and a Jeti Phasor 45-3 direct drive I can remove from a never flown Cosmic Wind. I also have some speed 400s and 480s. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
rob dahlbo is offline Find More Posts by rob dahlbo
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 23, 2002, 12:43 PM
Involuntary Beta Tester
Joined Jan 2002
8,288 Posts
I'm new at RC flying, since February of this year. I just completed an E3D and find it easy to fly and even better easy to land. I don't know how to do 3D stuff just basic aerobatics. I fly it as a sport plane. I never had tried an outside loop but found it easy on the first attempt with this plane.

It has 48" ws, 600 sq inches and weighs 3.5lbs.

There is a ton of info on Ezone about this plane.

The kit is not hard to build but is delicate when framing up.

Motors that are used Endoplasma with 4.6:1, Mega BL 22/20/2 with 3.75 or 4:1, and Hacker C40 with 4.6:1. All these systems use 10 cell 3000 nmih or 2400 nicads for the recommended props.

Kelvin
kelvin is offline Find More Posts by kelvin
Old Oct 23, 2002, 01:26 PM
Naperville, IL USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,886 Posts
By no means an expert on what the definitive answer is, given that you have a 2820 in your parts box, I would suggest the Apache from Aero-Craft Models or the Warlord 20 from www.bridiradiocontrol.com depending on cell count. I think the Apache would do well with the 2820 on 8 cells. The Warlord would be good on the 2820 on 10 cells. (I fly my Warlord on a Mega 30/3 on 10 cells.)

Do a search for Apache. There is a great thread on the plane and ideas on converting it to electric. There is also a thread on the Warlord.

Mitch
Mitch G is offline Find More Posts by Mitch G
Old Oct 23, 2002, 03:14 PM
Tragic case
Sydney Australia
Joined Feb 2002
5,875 Posts
Look at the Multiplex Skycat. It is made of elapor foam (close to unbreakable) low wing full house plane. It can be flown slow and fast built in one evening and reapaired quickly. Steerable tailwheel.

I eventually lost mine in heavy bush but I learned a huge amount from it. Its a good ten cell plane with AUW of around 50=60 oz which gives it a wingloading up around 18-19 oz sq ft.

Looks pretty enough as well. There are extensive threads on it in the foamie forum but it is a sports plane. The unbreakable nature of it (except for the motor mount) gives you a lot more confidence when learning and the high wing loading teaches you about snap rolls and not flying too slow on landing.

I have to get a new aerobatic plane as reduced to gliders and hotliners right now. For me its a tossup between getting another skycat and the accord 47. How did you crash your Accrd?
davidleitch is offline Find More Posts by davidleitch
Old Oct 23, 2002, 04:22 PM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,703 Posts
If you can get one where you are, and if you have around 150W+ of power and 4 micro servos, the RipMax Alliance (www.ripmax.com) is a very fast building ARTF foamie coming in at about two pounds give or take, and around 45" span from memory.

I found it delightful to fly - slowish, smooth and absolutely precise. sadly its very strengths proved its second major weakness and encoyraged me to try things I wasn't up to...which revealed its primary weakness. Built like an eggshell.

Mine had (and will have again. I liked it so much I got another one) a stock graupner/sagami speed 480 with an MPJet 3:5 :1 box, running on 10x1100AAU. and an PC10x7 slofly

Thats about 140W in on a fairly efficient motor.

On your 2820/10 with a 10x7E prop and 10x800AR, motocalc gives that one vertical performance - 128W/lb at 28A

Its a bit overpowered really - you might need to reinforce the wing center and nose a bit with glass as AUW ends up about 60z more than design target.

Dropping the cell count or downing the prop size a bit would tame it a bit

Its a lovely mini pattern plane tho.
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Oct 23, 2002, 04:58 PM
Dr John
Lake Placid, Florida
Joined Dec 2001
2,712 Posts
If you don't mind building with wood and would like a very smooth flying aerobatic plane that actually looks like a real airplane don't overlook the Great Planes Ryan STA EP.
WS = 49 in
400 sq in
The recommended power is a little wimpy but 300 watts ( 75watts/lb) makes a very nice flying bird. While not indestructable it is a sturdy bird and mine took a full throttle death spiral from about a hundred feet to finally destroy it. This was a dumb thumb issue and not a fault with the aircraft.

John
pmpjohn is offline Find More Posts by pmpjohn
Old Oct 23, 2002, 06:29 PM
Formerly Black96Z
Mckinney, TX
Joined Apr 2002
765 Posts
I don't know how much you are willing to invest, but my Venus flies great. it has a 55" or so wing and is a .40 size pattern plane. you wil need a new motor and batteries from what you listed, but the plane flies great.

Also a cheaper route would be an electrostreak. Its only 44", but if you could live with that its a great flying plane.

David
Heli Slime is offline Find More Posts by Heli Slime
Old Oct 24, 2002, 12:33 PM
Hemet, California, United States
Joined Aug 2001
2,623 Posts
Hi Rob,

The E3D is a great plane. However, Gary Wright, (designer of the E3D) is comming out with another design that's about the same size and power that is geared more towards being a sport aerobatic ship.

Do a search under "Gary Wright" if you are interested.

Best Regards, Mickydee
mickydee is offline Find More Posts by mickydee
Old Oct 25, 2002, 03:14 PM
Balsa Flies Better!
Stamford, CT
Joined Oct 2000
6,734 Posts
Another Apache vote

I found the Apache to have some neat innovations and to be a pretty easy build. It's also very easy to fly especially with the power pulled way back. Odds are the 2820/10 can be used but it'll take some headscratching-or maybe one of those snazzy mounts. I'm running a Mega 22/20/4 (weighs about 6 oz or so) in mine. Note that the weight of 38 oz is achievable- mine is a touch under but I deleted the gear- no big loss, the plane lands slowly anyhow.

Sam
Megowcoupe is offline Find More Posts by Megowcoupe