Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 22, 2007, 09:20 PM
Rural Westchester, NY
Joined Oct 2005
667 Posts
Are you new to RC?

Salman, Have you flown an RC plane before?

When you fly this model for the first time you can check the controls. If any of the controls are reversed you simply switch the direction on the front of the transmitter radio. The same is true when you use the simulator. For takeoff if you are worried about hitting the prop you can hand launch this model with no problem. It will land in the grass without landing gear with no trouble.

Jim, Its faster but not crazy fast. What is more impressive is the climb power. It climbs like a banshee and accelerates from stall to max speed while in any position. I've included a photo of the motor and the original hub lip and prop lip that I had to cut off. The prop adapter simply wasn't long enough to reach all the way through. That plus reaming out the prop really made the whole process a P.I.T.A. so I would personally place a high priority on finding a similarly rated motor that fits the original mount. But that's me 'cuz I'm inherently lazy .

Joe
2Sunny is offline Find More Posts by 2Sunny
to remove ads between posts
Old May 22, 2007, 09:45 PM
stupid wind
Joined May 2007
245 Posts
How much did the new motor affect the CG? I found I can increase speed and climb by simply removing the gear, if you can sacrifice the ground takeoff.
R DeMarco is offline Find More Posts by R DeMarco
Old May 22, 2007, 09:52 PM
Rural Westchester, NY
Joined Oct 2005
667 Posts
Cg

Quote:
How much did the new motor affect the CG?
The new motor altered the CG by about 1/4 of an inch forward, but I brought it back to the original position by adding 0.4 ozs of lead to the back underside air vent area.

Joe
Old May 22, 2007, 11:11 PM
Joined May 2007
20 Posts
Hey Joe, i am 15 year old who just started this hobby. I will definately try the reverse. When i installed my horizontal stabilizer, it wasn't tight. When i did the control test and when i tried out the stabilizers, they were wobbly when they move. What should i do? Whats the right way to hand-launch this airplane? This seems to be a bigger plane than i thought. So i really dont need the LG if i hand launch it? I read yours and James's reviews about the grinding at full throttle and i did notice it.

Thanks a lot for all of this help.
salman007 is offline Find More Posts by salman007
Old May 22, 2007, 11:24 PM
stupid wind
Joined May 2007
245 Posts
007 trust me shelf this plane and start simpler or you could be spending lots of money on new structural pieces. my guess if you dont do a lot of practice on the simulator, or work your way up, you will ovel roll in your first turn and try to pull up which will be down and nose dive into the groud. but thats my opinion and i am 16 and on my second plane which is this one. I shelfed my original second plane after I had a near disaster, with the ground.
Old May 24, 2007, 05:14 AM
Derby ,East Midlands UK
Joined May 2007
102 Posts
Just a quick question to Jim or any of you that own this plane, , I am very interested to know how does this plane perform stock. I have read that it is slow . How slow is slow.Would it be slow in comparison to a Hobbyzone Super Cub which in my opinion is pretty quick for a trainer."That is the aircraft that i have at the moment",Or is the performance better than that. I have been flying the Super Cub for about 6 to 7 months now with absolute ease including inverted flight . I am wanting to get a warbird, Have seen this one, and like it , but then i have read that there are other easier warbirds to fly such as the Parkzone Spit.Just wanting opinions to help me along with my decision, and i am sure this question has been asked loads of time , but would appreciate it.Many thanks.
braaivleis2003 is offline Find More Posts by braaivleis2003
Old May 24, 2007, 06:04 AM
Rural Westchester, NY
Joined Oct 2005
667 Posts
Just starting out.

Quote:
Hey Joe, i am 15 year old who just started this hobby
Sal-

I believe this plane is much too difficult to fly for a person just starting out. I would suggest trying a :

Firebird Phantom
EasyStar
SlowStick

and then of course my personal favorite - the plane I built and learned on

The Stryker Trainer

Hope that helps,

Joe
Last edited by 2Sunny; May 24, 2007 at 06:26 AM.
Old May 24, 2007, 06:31 AM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Brandon, Fl
Joined Mar 2005
2,499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by braaivleis2003
Just a quick question to Jim or any of you that own this plane, , I am very interested to know how does this plane perform stock. I have read that it is slow . How slow is slow.Would it be slow in comparison to a Hobbyzone Super Cub which in my opinion is pretty quick for a trainer."That is the aircraft that i have at the moment",Or is the performance better than that. I have been flying the Super Cub for about 6 to 7 months now with absolute ease including inverted flight . I am wanting to get a warbird, Have seen this one, and like it , but then i have read that there are other easier warbirds to fly such as the Parkzone Spit.Just wanting opinions to help me along with my decision, and i am sure this question has been asked loads of time , but would appreciate it.Many thanks.
It flies about the same speed as the Cub BUT the flight attributes are completely different. The Cub - and just about all high wing planes - are inherently stable. Trainers are all about stability, you let go of the sticks and it will at least attempt to right it's self. Warbirds by and large are inherently unstable (better known as agile or nimble). They will go where you point them and crash. This P-51 will just go and crash at a slower speed than most. Please take the time and progress as just about all of us has done - high wing RET, high wing AET, low wing AET trainer, and then onto warbirds. I tried shortcutting several times to warbirds and have a line of carnage to show for it. I trust that you can fly the wings off the Cub, work on precision take-offs and spot landings. For a second model, look at something like a Super Impress (high wing) or Goldberg Tiger 400 (low wing). Spend the money that you would have on the P-51 on a good Transmitter - a 2.4 mHz unit that will last you for years. The P-51's, Spits, and every other warbird will be around for a long time. Don't get impatient.

Jim
jamesdr is offline Find More Posts by jamesdr
Old May 24, 2007, 06:37 AM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Brandon, Fl
Joined Mar 2005
2,499 Posts
Finally, a Mustang that anyone can fly! - NOT!!!

Please, please, please, PLEASE for you beginners, do NOT get lulled into this ad copy. This is one of the easiest P-51's to fly but it is still not a trainer. Stock, it is under powered and has all the inherent instability of the P-51. You WILL frustrate yourself with this model. I have noticed that many questions and comments on this thread are coming form folks either new to RC or with a very low post number (which I will equate to new to RC). RTF's will attract beginners with the all in one package. And we all get testorone injected when we start looking at models. The LHS owner and I have had MANY discussions over this. He sells a ton of Parkzone Spits, FW190's, and Mustangs to beginners, after they have waved off the trainer line. He has asked them to come out the electric field where it is safe to fly, and there is some hope of instruction. To this day, I have seen maybe two folks actually heed the advice. We have no idea where these models are, but I'm guessing 95% are either stuck in a tree in some neighborhood pocket park, or in the trash. He'll continue to sell them at $180 a pop but would really like to bring folks into the hobby step wise rather than go right for the P-51 and frustration. Same story here. It is a great looking model, has really good flying manners for a P-51 and is attractivly priced - BUT IS NOT A TRAINER.

Jim
Last edited by jamesdr; May 24, 2007 at 06:50 AM.
Old May 24, 2007, 06:37 AM
Rural Westchester, NY
Joined Oct 2005
667 Posts
First warbird.

Quote:
I have been flying the Super Cub for about 6 to 7 months now with absolute ease including inverted flight . I am wanting to get a warbird
My personal experience is limited to the the Art-Tech P-51 and the E-Flite P-47 which I found to be a perfect first warbird with very docile flight chracteristics. This P-51 does slow down well, but the real issue is the ailerons which are very effective. If you were to convert the TX/RX combo to one with dual rates and you could limit the maiden flight to 50% on the ailerons this might not be too bad for a first warbird.

But like I said my warbird experience is very limited, and that's just one guys opinion.

Joe
Old May 24, 2007, 06:54 AM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Brandon, Fl
Joined Mar 2005
2,499 Posts
I agree - the E-flite P-47 is a very good first warbird. Still it is faster than you may expect and will go outside your comfort zone quickly.

Jim
Old May 24, 2007, 07:47 AM
Derby ,East Midlands UK
Joined May 2007
102 Posts
Thanks for the replies so quick. Advice taken, I shall steer away from the mustang for now and later on with more experience ,shall i then treat myself to one.That e flight P47 sure does look nice , now in comparison to the PZ Spit , the wings obviously not being the same but look similar, could the PZ Spit also be a good 1st warbird. I know that i am going of topic here and can ask elsewhere if i must, but the Mustang was the reason why i came in to ask a ques on this thread. Many thanks. Paul
braaivleis2003 is offline Find More Posts by braaivleis2003
Old May 24, 2007, 09:01 AM
stupid wind
Joined May 2007
245 Posts
the box shape of the p51 is a more stable wing then that of an elliptical wing, but it comes down to loading a high wing is more stable because the weight is hanging from it, whearas the a low wing the weight is sitting on top of it.
Old May 24, 2007, 12:16 PM
Rural Westchester, NY
Joined Oct 2005
667 Posts
P-51 as a first warbird.

I think a good first warbird would have

1) a wing loading under 10 ozs/sqft,
2) limited aileron travel,
3) low torque, and
4) be made from a fairly durable material, and
5) fly straight and true on the maiden.

All of these qualities could be found in an Art-Tech P-51 if one were to buy the parts and build an ARF model using something like:

MicroDan 2505
CCTB 18 ESC
Thunder Power 3s910 mAh LiPo
E-Flite 9x4.7 prop

and then programming in dual rates on the aileron throw. I think the model would come out weighing around 17 to 18 ozs, have a wing loading around 9 ozs/sqft, and be relatively similar to the E-Flite P-47.

BUT

its just a guess since no one has done it before . . .

Joe
Old May 25, 2007, 03:45 PM
Mission Viejo, CA
Joined Dec 2005
1,925 Posts
"All the kings horses and all the kings men......"

It was a sad day for my Alpha P-51 Marie. She took to the air this morning and was flying beautifully when, suddenly, the CG shifted. The battery had slipped loose and slid all the way to the tail! She (obviously) became WAY tail heavy and began to porpose as I tried to get her to the ground. Ended up slamming into the ground, flat. The nose ripped off and the under-carrage was crushed.
KentuckyColonel is offline Find More Posts by KentuckyColonel
Last edited by KentuckyColonel; May 25, 2007 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Add Title