HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:05 PM
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Aug 2008
85 Posts
For wing bolts, I got replacements for mine at the HW store after the nylon ones broke. I can't remember if I used metric or standard, but it was pretty easy to find some that fit. Sometimes, the metric and the standard are very close to the same. I will try to see if I can find a matching nut and let you know in a bit.
helojerry is offline Find More Posts by helojerry
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:42 PM
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Aug 2008
85 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witterings View Post
Thought I'd put a post in and see if this thread is still active / being followed, I've dug one of these that I bought as spares for another I from someone who was not going to sell them anymore and let it go for cost and has been sitting in my loft for 2 years.

The motor mounts I found totally useless for the brushless motors so have made a plate and am going to fit a Turnigy 35-30 1100kv with a mount to go with it fitted to the plate ...... should be crazy powerful

I'm used to flying 3D with max rates on other planes, I was going to move the link on the servo arm out to it's furthest, do you think the servo's will take that or might it be too much for them.

Does anyone know if I can use standard glue on the fuselage or do I need foam safe as I've found a couple of weak points that could do with a bit of re-enforcement.

I'd really like to fly this bird without wheels and belly land it but am concerned it may catch the servo arms on the ailerons and if it'll rip out / damage the air intake, not sure if anyone else has belly landed this one on a regular basis ????

If I do decide to use undercarriage, the one I had before used to nose over on taxi and damaged the very fragile front cowl, has anyone else experienced this / have a solution to it, I'm guessing a CoG further back will help ???

Help there's still some people around following this thread and can offer some input on any of the above !!!
I've been flying with a Turnigy motor that is the equivalent of the 35-30 but mine takes a 4 mm shaft. I fly mine with a 2 blade 11x6 Master Airscrew prop for gas engines. With a Turnigy 2200 3 cell, it's pretty fast. It won't climb straight up, but I'm not sure I need to.

I'm flying with stock settings on servos which is in one position from the end of the arm. This plane will roll fast, so I do not need more throw. I finally went to 10% expo to make it a little less sensitive at speed. I'm not sure it his plane will fly 3 D because the ailerons are not large enough. Let me know how the works out. If you want more throw, I think the servo would not complain, but the pilot might. I would recommend flying with the stock setting first and see how that handles before you change it.

For glue, I've been using yellow carpenters glue for over night repairs. If necessary I would use 5 min epoxy at the field. This foam is not OK for standard ACC if that is what you are asking. I have used Gorilla glue for firewall repairs etc when a need to build up a fillet. That is compatible with the foam.

I bent the landing gear forward to fix the nose over on the ground problem. It makes the plane look a little funny, but it handles very well on the ground with this little change. You do not want to change the CG point from what the plans say to use. A CG too far back will result in a crash because the pitch axis will be unstable in that case. Let me know if you need the recommended CG measurement. With a 2200 battery inserted in the cockpit and pushed forward to where the rear of the battery is even with the instrument panel, the CG is good. I rigged my canopy so that it held on by super magnets.

If you look back in the posts, there is lots of discussion regarding mods, repairs, and such.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 01:06 PM
Best Pilots Use Simulators!
Chichester Sussex
Joined Aug 2007
2,180 Posts
Thanks for the replies, I discovered it's where they've dripped glue into the nut that the wing bolts won't go in and it's stripped them. I ordered replacements and they're 4mm just in case anyone else needs to know but I had to take the nuts out and replace them with new ones and then glue everything back in place.

I'm not actually looking to try and 3 D this plane but I'd just like it to be as sensitive / feel similar to my 3 d planes on the sticks so I don't get a huge shock going back to a 3d one after flying this.

I thought there were probably mods etc mmentioned but there's literally hundreds of replies to read through would have taken me a lifetime.

Thanks for the replies much appreciated!
Witterings is online now Find More Posts by Witterings
Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:12 PM
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Aug 2008
85 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the replies, I discovered it's where they've dripped glue into the nut that the wing bolts won't go in and it's stripped them. I ordered replacements and they're 4mm just in case anyone else needs to know but I had to take the nuts out and replace them with new ones and then glue everything back in place.

I'm not actually looking to try and 3 D this plane but I'd just like it to be as sensitive / feel similar to my 3 d planes on the sticks so I don't get a huge shock going back to a 3d one after flying this.

I thought there were probably mods etc mmentioned but there's literally hundreds of replies to read through would have taken me a lifetime.

Thanks for the replies much appreciated!
Glad to help.

For balance point, try message #4333. You can search for topics like "firewall"

I checked my wing bolts and they almost fit a #8-32 nut. So that means they are metric. There is a metric size that is almost the same as 8-32, but I can't remember the numbers. Since you replaced the nuts, then you are good to go.

Best of luck.

Jerry
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:51 PM
Joined Jan 2013
1 Posts
Hey guys, I'm looking for a solution to stock motor mounts. Do you guys think this would work out for our P-51's?

HXT Alloy Composite Firewall Mount

Thanks for the input.
Oski86 is offline Find More Posts by Oski86
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:54 AM
Chichester Sussex
Joined Aug 2007
2,180 Posts
I thought about trying one of those but decided it would probably be hard to get the absolutely aligned without drilling new holes in the firewall.
I made a ply plate to the size of the mount and then used the poles from one of these http://robotbirds.com/catalog/produc...oducts_id=2201
The motor mounts weren't wide enough for the Turnigy 3530 I was using so I used 2 of the mounts for those motors and secured them to the poles from the other mount and screwed it to the plate and it's a perfect fit and places the motor exactly where it should be / perfect length as well.

If you do try that other one though let us know how you get on just in case I ever need a replacement.
Last edited by Witterings; Feb 18, 2013 at 01:59 AM.
Old Mar 02, 2013, 07:06 AM
Chichester Sussex
Joined Aug 2007
2,180 Posts
Maidened it today, looks lovely in the air !! Hand launched it, thought I was going to lose it 2 seconds into launch is it veered off hard to the left, did it on teh 2nd battery as well but I was ready for it 2nd time around.
I'm using a 1300 battery which is in the cockpit and put it as far back as it would go, it still needs a LOT of down for inverted flight, has anyone managed to get it virtually hands free for inverted or won't this wing shape allow that??
Old Mar 02, 2013, 10:45 AM
Joined Apr 2009
104 Posts
Quote:
Maidened it today, looks lovely in the air !! Hand launched it, thought I was going to lose it 2 seconds into launch is it veered off hard to the left, did it on teh 2nd battery as well but I was ready for it 2nd time around.
I'm using a 1300 battery which is in the cockpit and put it as far back as it would go, it still needs a LOT of down for inverted flight, has anyone managed to get it virtually hands free for inverted or won't this wing shape allow that??
I never flied it inverted yet, but I'm told that warbirds always need a lot of down stick inverted, that's normal. Be careful about setting your CG back - mine was just a bit tail-heavy due to repairs at the tail and it was going into spins like crazy, I has several severe crashes because of that. It has to be a bit nose-heavy, much more stable this way...
romandesign is offline Find More Posts by romandesign
Old Mar 02, 2013, 01:00 PM
Chichester Sussex
Joined Aug 2007
2,180 Posts
romandesign,
Cheers for that !!! I may post in the warbird section as well, as you say I wonder if it's a characteristic of warbirds that typically have wings underneath the body that are then bent up.
It's not the easiest thing I've flown, certainly takes quite a bit of concentration, my 3D planes are easier to fly I reckon as they're not so twitchy from level flight, does seem it wants to dip a wing either side as opposed to just sitting level.
Old Mar 06, 2013, 11:06 AM
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Aug 2008
85 Posts
Dihedral Angle

I think what you are referring to is the wing dihedral angle when you say the wing tips are bent up. This is called positive dihedral and it does improve the roll stability of the airplane. Low wing airplanes usually need a little more dihedral than high wing airplanes. Of course, the more stable the airplane is in roll, the more difficult it would be to fly inverted because the airplane wants to right itself. When my model is trimmed right. it is pretty much stays where I put it, but it does have a very high roll rate. I recently added about 10% exponential to make it a little less sensitive in roll.

This P51 does require alot of down elevator to fly inverted. With the stock motor, it did not really have enough power to fly inverted in my opinion. I have an ArtTech F4U Corsair that flys inverted with much less down elevator than my P51 and does it easily with the stock motor. The Corsair has much more wing area and that may be the biggest difference. It also has quite a bit of positive dihedral which makes it pretty easy to keep level. It is a much slower bird and it has a much slower roll rate that the P51.

BTW, does anyone know where I can buy a new Art Tech/Hobby King P51 Mustang? HKing has been out of stock for some time and I want to get a back up. I've really become attached to this model and it. I cracked it up yesterday as well. It's fixable, but I want to have a new one waiting.
Old Mar 06, 2013, 02:55 PM
Princess Anne, Md.
Joined Oct 2006
203 Posts
www.killerplanes.com has them
spaceinvader is offline Find More Posts by spaceinvader
Old Mar 06, 2013, 03:03 PM
Princess Anne, Md.
Joined Oct 2006
203 Posts
For those of you flying stock motor. check out post #4258. I use the prop and spinner there and it makes a big difference over the stock prop. also put a couple of coats of wbpu on it to protect it.
spaceinvader is offline Find More Posts by spaceinvader
Old Mar 06, 2013, 08:13 PM
Joined Jul 2010
6 Posts
I flew this plane almost every weekend last year during the spring thru fall months. It's not a rocket by any means, but I enjoyed the stock motor and battery setup. I didn't put the 1300 lipo in the cockpit, I put it in the battery compartment and it seemed OK at the recommended CG point. Loops are nice and round, not an unlimited vertical climber, but it is a nice scale flyer in my opinion. It is fairly light, so it gets pushed around by wind gusts and can almost hover to a landing in a brisk breeze. I found that main wheel landings with a bit of speed work out better than three point landings as it seemed to mush out at touch down and bounce a bit on three points. Bending the main gear forward a bit is a good idea as the gear is weak and tends to bend to the rear after a few less than perfect landings. I didn't pay attention to the angle that was developing on the gear until there was enough of it that the plane nosed over on takeoff as the tail came up! Use up elevator to keep the tail planted on initial takeoff run and on landing to maintain tailwheel steering, and be ready with right rudder on takeoff to maintain a straight track. I really like this plane, the price and size are right and it's fun to fly. Oh yeah, almost forgot, it flies inverted OK for me but I have to use almost all (7/8) of down elevator to maintain level flight. I usually fly with half rates set at 75%, of the recommended value (I believe they are posted in this forum somewhere) full rates and full up elevator will cause a stall and snap, at least for me.
lvanallman is offline Find More Posts by lvanallman
Old Apr 07, 2013, 04:38 AM
Chichester Sussex
Joined Aug 2007
2,180 Posts
Are people flying this with or without undercarriage, the best field near me the grass is often long which would just rip the gear off most of the time but they've just started mowing the grass so could land with undercarriage at the moment.
The plane to me looks so much nicer with the landing gear, does anybody know how differently it flies with or without the wheels.

If i decide to leave the gear off I'll probably cut he rear wheel off as well as it looks really silly flapping around in the wind on it's own.
Old Apr 08, 2013, 01:57 AM
Chichester Sussex
Joined Aug 2007
2,180 Posts
Be interested to know what batteries most people are using and where you put them and what effect it has on CoG / light characteristics??
I'm currently using 1300's in the cockpit but may go for a slightly Higher mah although whe I flew it the other day it did seem perfectly balanced and tracked superbly !!