HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 07, 2007, 11:10 AM
Rural Westchester, NY
Joined Oct 2005
667 Posts
Parts list.

So I bought $77 worth of parts to see if I can make an ARF out of this baby. We'll see . . .

1 AT7202 - TAIL WING SET FOR P-51D $7.90
1 AT7203 - MAIN WING SET FOR P-51D $24.70
1 AT7204 - FUSELAGE SET FOR P-51D $31.80
1 AT7205 - 4 BLADED PROPELLER FOR P-51D $8.80
1 AT7207 - CANOPY FOR P-51D $3.80

Joe
2Sunny is offline Find More Posts by 2Sunny
to remove ads between posts
Old May 07, 2007, 11:11 AM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Aug 2004
2,364 Posts
OK the number looks right after you divide it by 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Sunny
Actually after I went to bed I had a moment of "dee dee DEEEE" when I realized I hadn't set the blade count for a four bladed prop. It was set for 2 which is the default. Presumably that means the RPM count was off by a factor of 2 . . .

I'm away on a trip now, but I promise to remeasure correctly when I get home.

Sorry for the mistake.

Joe

P.S. I used a GloBee Tach and a flashlight for testing.

P.P.S For what its worth I believe the motor is the blue one shown on Art-Techs website which would mean:

weight 80g
rpm/V 700
output 110 watts
max current 13amps

and here is the manufacturers listing for the P51.
shschon is offline Find More Posts by shschon
Old May 07, 2007, 03:55 PM
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
Quote:
So I bought $77 worth of parts to see if I can make an ARF out of this baby. We'll see . . .

Joe
That is what i was thinking of doing. i'll wait to see what your report is before doing that though. However, I have the Ultrafly P-51 still in box, so I dont really need this one(plus have the PZ p51)
kahloq is offline Find More Posts by kahloq
Old May 08, 2007, 06:20 PM
Rural Westchester, NY
Joined Oct 2005
667 Posts
3 more flights today.

So I ran out this morning and flew 3 more times. I used my two TP 3s 1320s which were the exact same size as the battery that came with the plane. It seems as if the plane suffers from a problem similar to that reported for the Alfa models. When I increased airspeed it climbed substantially if I didn't hold nose down. Perhaps there is something about the P-51 shape that increases that tendency. Also as I became more comfortable with the model I decided its not worth pulling the throttle back until I'm ready to land. I also found that while running around at full throttle I could do aileron rolls quite nicely with no real loss of altitude although running around at wide open throttle only gave me 7 or 8 minutes before I noticed the battery was tiring and decided to land. I still wouldn't mind a little more "juice" so I could make wider loops, but all in all this baby is growing on me more and more.

Joe
Old May 08, 2007, 09:35 PM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Brandon, Fl
Joined Mar 2005
2,500 Posts
If it climbs under full throttle, that is pretty much an indication that the thrust angle is set too high. Does it drop abruptly when you chop the throttle? If so, that pretty much confirms it.

I just found out mine arrived today - unfortunatly I'm about 1,400 miles from home. Will play with it on Saturday.

Jim
jamesdr is offline Find More Posts by jamesdr
Old May 08, 2007, 09:46 PM
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
I read the article in Quiet Flyer International today about this plane and the reviewer in the UK stated it was by no means a beginner plane. He also stated that the instruction in his box specifically mentions that it is for expert pilots.

Now, for those that want a little more juice, well, change the spinner and prop to a 2-blade prop and viola.....more speed.
Old May 09, 2007, 04:56 AM
Rural Westchester, NY
Joined Oct 2005
667 Posts
Thrust line.

Jim,

Do you know whether or not if the line of thrust was significantly above the horizontal plane of symmetry that would have a similar effect? The reasson I ask is that intuitively to me adjusting the thrust angle is simple, but if the line of thrust is off center siginificantly perhaps the entire motor needs to be moved up or down. Does that make sense? Do you know of any threads where this has been discussed already?

Thanks either way.

Joe
Old May 09, 2007, 07:37 AM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Brandon, Fl
Joined Mar 2005
2,500 Posts
Joe

I agree, that the thrust line should be aligned with the CG. I don't know if this was discussed in any thread but I'm sure it has SOMEWHERE. There was an excellent discussion in Model Aviation News (AMA rag) a while ago on setting up a model with trimming tips both static and dynamic. One test I do remember was the motor incidence test, if it climbs under power, the motor is essentially tilted up and is confirmed that once you trim it out, it drops when the power is cut. Same for right/left incidence.

Jim
Old May 10, 2007, 07:56 PM
Rural Westchester, NY
Joined Oct 2005
667 Posts
Review and comparison continued.

After another day of flying I am growing to love my little ole' P51 very much, and so I felt I would take a moment to sum up what I see as the primary benefits of this model versus the main competitor which I perceive as the ParkZone P51. I feel quite strongly that this thing beats the ParkZone in value and performance "hands down".

1) You get a brushless motor, LiPo battery and a LiPo charger.
2) This model launches WAY easier than the stock ParkZone.
3) The performance is almost identical, but the speed is less so you can use a smaller field, and the flight controls are easier for an intermediate level pilot to handle.
4) You have a "real" TX,RX, and servos that are reusable for other models.
5) You get a cool looking 4 bladed prop.

Well that's it for now. Just felt like tooting my new toys horn

Joe
Old May 10, 2007, 08:07 PM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Brandon, Fl
Joined Mar 2005
2,500 Posts
Looking forward to opening my box tomorrow night.

Jim
Old May 10, 2007, 11:06 PM
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
You know what would be cool? Is putting an E-flite Power 10 in this plane
Old May 11, 2007, 01:08 PM
Dublin, California
Joined Dec 2006
327 Posts
Quote:
So I ran out this morning and flew 3 more times. I used my two TP 3s 1320s which were the exact same size as the battery that came with the plane. It seems as if the plane suffers from a problem similar to that reported for the Alfa models. When I increased airspeed it climbed substantially if I didn't hold nose down. Perhaps there is something about the P-51 shape that increases that tendency. Also as I became more comfortable with the model I decided its not worth pulling the throttle back until I'm ready to land. I also found that while running around at full throttle I could do aileron rolls quite nicely with no real loss of altitude although running around at wide open throttle only gave me 7 or 8 minutes before I noticed the battery was tiring and decided to land. I still wouldn't mind a little more "juice" so I could make wider loops, but all in all this baby is growing on me more and more.

Joe
Cool p-51

My GWS Zero does the exact behavior you describe actually - it's not really a true "pitch" upward but its like the plane literally lifts upward when i increased throttle.

The solution was to adjust the main wing angle of attack and it eliminated this behavior, i believe most people wedged the wing so that the LE was down a bit - I went the lazy route and mixed in down elevator with "increase" throttle...this produces drag obviously but it makes for a tame warbird nonetheless.
hawk3ye is offline Find More Posts by hawk3ye
Old May 12, 2007, 07:00 PM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Brandon, Fl
Joined Mar 2005
2,500 Posts
the Build

I finally got to see her in person last night.

The model arrived in a well designed box. There was no hanger rash and all the parts were accounted for including a set of tools for assembly. In theory, all you would need to fly this plane is a source of electricity to charge the lipo and AAs for the Tx.

Since I knew I was not going to use the included Tx / Rx, I pulled the included module out before I started the clock. The Art-Tech Rx is actually pretty nice - not flimsy at all. I popped a Spektrum AR6100 into place and bound it to the Tx.

Started the clock at 1:30

- plugged in the included 1300mAh battery into my charger - it has taps just like e-flite and CommonSense V2 batteries.

- Installed the LG. These are really nice. The tire is soft rubber and has a cross hatch thread. They are screwed into the wing with enclosed screws. One went in with no problem - the other side I could not find the mounting plates n the wing to screw into. Since it was on all four holes, my guess is that there were missed and QC didn't catch it. Oh well - some 5 min epoxy and all was right with the world.

- Mated the wing to the fuselage. Note - I did NOTHING with the servos and ailerons. It's all done - and done well!

- Installed the h-stab and v-stab. This is all done with screws and everything matched up exactly. I did have to finagle with the fairing but once I figured out right from left, everything matched up.

- Connect the push rod clevises to the control horns. Again, the control horns are pre-installed, the clevises and push rods are installed, and all I had to do was open them, adjust a turn or two and close.

- Battery is done charging

- Install the spinner, prop, and top spinner. Hmmm - the day these were made the guy with the colors must have had off. Both parts of the spinner are yellow - but different shades. They may get a coat of red later on anyway.

- Drop in the battery and test out the controls

Stopped the clock at 2:30

Wow - all steps completed in one hour. Could have done it in less time if the screw plate was installed and I didn't have to go looking for epoxy and waiting for it to cure.

I had some really cool included sticky back decals to install - the kind of stencil lettering in scale size. Done is 10 min after looking for the placement in the manual (it's in the front, not the back).

I did notice one thing - the tail wheel is free castoring vice pull-pull like the H-L ad depicts. I little bit of disappointment but during taxi test, she turned very easily with prop blast on the rudder.

I ran up the throttle and noticed a bit of "grinding" at WOT. Anyone else have that? I put on a data logger to see some numbers static and she draws between 9.5 and 10.5 amps static (between 125 and 105 watts). On a 20 second test the pack stayed above 11v. The ECS is rated for 18 amps and the motor (it is the blue one) has a 13amp limit. It has good pull but not rip out of your hand pull.

The servos are noisy - definitely on the low end of the 9 gram pipeline.

But she sure looks pretty! Lots of eye candy with the decal set, stickers, prop, and spinner. I really like the canopy - notice how it bubbles out.

Hopefully will maiden in the morning - wind permitting. Video to follow.

Jim
Last edited by jamesdr; May 13, 2007 at 09:16 AM.
Old May 13, 2007, 09:29 AM
Rural Westchester, NY
Joined Oct 2005
667 Posts
Perfect for an ARF.

For those that are interested the parts came:

Quote:

and they are decaled, hinged, and complete except no gear in my list. Pefect for making a model using your own equipment. I'm planning on a Park 450 for my setup, but it will have to wait a little while . . .

Joe
Old May 13, 2007, 09:53 AM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Brandon, Fl
Joined Mar 2005
2,500 Posts
Joe

Can you shoot a picture of the nose of the fuselage without the motor? I'm curious to see how much room there is in there.

When you say "complete" do they include the servos and pushrods?

Jim