SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 02, 2007, 03:32 PM
Canada, ON, Caledon
Joined Aug 2002
186 Posts
Discussion
Inline IC engines

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post this question...
I've got 2 cox TD 09 engines wth throttle/carburetor and i'm thinking to put them inline, with a puller and a pusher prop. I've done a bit of research and the second propeller (pusher) would have a higher pitch so the incoming air can be accelerated even more.
The front pulling propeller could have more blades to get a more amount of air, say 3 blade pull prop at front and 2 blode higher pitch pusher prop at the back.
The throttles would be controlled by a single servo between the engines.
Would this setup work, or is it worth to try out of curiosity?
Thanks.
Florin777 is offline Find More Posts by Florin777
to remove ads between posts
Old May 03, 2007, 04:06 PM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florin777
I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post this question...
I've got 2 cox TD 09 engines wth throttle/carburetor and i'm thinking to put them inline, with a puller and a pusher prop. I've done a bit of research and the second propeller (pusher) would have a higher pitch so the incoming air can be accelerated even more.
The front pulling propeller could have more blades to get a more amount of air, say 3 blade pull prop at front and 2 blode higher pitch pusher prop at the back.
The throttles would be controlled by a single servo between the engines.
Would this setup work, or is it worth to try out of curiosity?
Thanks.
Hi Florin777

It is certainly worth a try but under one condition,
That you let us know the results

Hee Hee

Zor
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 03, 2007, 04:22 PM
USA, TX, Diana
Joined Aug 2005
270 Posts
Florin you have an interesting concept. I have never run a pusher/puller setup, so I am not an expert.

One ? about the engine setup is the single servo for both engine throttles. It would appear to me that it would be difficult to tune the engines especially under load because there is going to be a load difference on each engine. You could run them both rich so that you are not leaning out one or the other, I guess.

I question whether a 3-bladed prop on the front is a good option. I would think that this engine would turn less RPM's thus contributing to the tuning problem and also with a 2-bladed prop with a higher pitch in the rear, I would think that the rear engine would be pushing more than the front is pulling causing inefficiency on the front engine.

Wow, it is very interesting. I am anxious to see what some of the experts have to say. I don't know anything and this just makes me think a little.

Glad you posed the scenerio.
safebet is offline Find More Posts by safebet