HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Dec 18, 2007, 12:07 AM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Speaking of Spinners and adapters, I need help with that myself. The Freedom 3d has a Hacker B50 11S with the Planetary Gearbox. I think that makes it a 6MM shaft. I was told I need a 2.25 inch spinner and the adapter. Not having ever bought one, I went to www.truturn.com and got totally confused It has a 17x12 APC E prop.

Can anyone provide me with suggestions on what to get? The truturns are nice, but OUCH my wallet!!! I probably shouldn't complain, I bet they are more than worth it, but I haven't the first idea about spinners and such.

Thanks,
Diggs
Diggs is offline Find More Posts by Diggs
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 18, 2007, 01:35 AM
allthingsthatfly.com
USA, ID, Meridian
Joined Jan 2007
6,145 Posts
Ep #29 is up!
~~
GFBurke is offline Find More Posts by GFBurke
Old Dec 18, 2007, 01:38 AM
Joined Jan 2006
1,413 Posts
sweeeeeeeeeeet
SNIPE_53 is offline Find More Posts by SNIPE_53
Old Dec 18, 2007, 02:15 AM
Helis Fall With Grace & Style
Kalispell Montana BIG SKY COUNTRY!
Joined Aug 2007
864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggs
Wow, seems like a great deal. Anywhere to check out the specs on it? I assume this is a foamy? Any idea of the wingspan? Looks like a good setup and an awesome price. Gotta love a plug n play And welcome to the world of fixed wings.

Don't really know enough about it to give advice on it. The 7000 is way more RX than it will need and the 6100 should be perfect. Setup is pretty simple on a plane. I would say it is easier than a heli anyday. Make sure your control surfaces are flat, and should move equal distances each direction. Aileron is the toughest. To get good axial rolls you want to make sure they move together evenly so one travels up the same distance the other travels down. Let us know how it does, I might pick one up since it is so cheap!

Haha, A plane is far more relaxing IMO. hopefully they won't give you the boot

Diggs
Yeah Diggs I posted the link to it with the Specs, here it is again Dude
SPECS
Yeah I will put an AR6100 in it eventually but I had the Ar700 sitting around for my Swift 550 I haven't built so I figured what the hell, may as well use it for the plane.

Thanks for the tips on the setup I will keep all that in Mind. I may just do a build thread on it so other people can check it out. Should be fairly simple to do. I can't wait to try it out. Been practicing planes on the sim, man much easier than heli's all except landing . That is a bit trickier than the helis. We are spoiled just being able to land pretty damn precise and easy. Just bring her in and set er down. Not so much with planes, I am sure I will crash when landing but we'll see. I think I may try the AirThunder 3s 2200mAH Li-PO in it along with my MP2100's. Sounds like it will be fast and fun. I wonder if it will help me become a better heli pilot? If anything it will be cheap to fix!

Check out this cool review by Hobby Merchandiser HM Review.

Should be FUN for Christmas!

Kyle
RcSuperSales-Net is offline Find More Posts by RcSuperSales-Net
Old Dec 18, 2007, 02:26 AM
There is no place like Hodges!
United States, GA, Byron
Joined Mar 2007
3,549 Posts
Hey guys, #29 was great!

I had a cheapo headset for that review, so that is it messed up a few times in there. I should have a nice headset by the next show though.
edge5foamy is offline Find More Posts by edge5foamy
Old Dec 18, 2007, 09:18 AM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcSuperSales-Net
Yeah Diggs I posted the link to it with the Specs, here it is again Dude
SPECS
Yeah I will put an AR6100 in it eventually but I had the Ar700 sitting around for my Swift 550 I haven't built so I figured what the hell, may as well use it for the plane.

Thanks for the tips on the setup I will keep all that in Mind. I may just do a build thread on it so other people can check it out. Should be fairly simple to do. I can't wait to try it out. Been practicing planes on the sim, man much easier than heli's all except landing . That is a bit trickier than the helis. We are spoiled just being able to land pretty damn precise and easy. Just bring her in and set er down. Not so much with planes, I am sure I will crash when landing but we'll see. I think I may try the AirThunder 3s 2200mAH Li-PO in it along with my MP2100's. Sounds like it will be fast and fun. I wonder if it will help me become a better heli pilot? If anything it will be cheap to fix!

Check out this cool review by Hobby Merchandiser HM Review.

Should be FUN for Christmas!

Kyle
I think I am going to pick one up and try it also. It's only $100.00 and I have Lipos. Pick up another RX and it's ready to go! Oh and I found those specs after I posted. Missed them on the first look

Let us know what you think of the airthunder packs. I have been thinking about trying them. But I also still want to try some A123 cells. Thanks for the info. Looks like some cheap fun!

Diggs
Old Dec 18, 2007, 04:07 PM
Got more toys than my kid
USA, CA, Fremont
Joined Sep 2004
3,675 Posts
Just finished ATTF #29! So much good gear was mentioned...I'll have to bookmark it and listen to it again after my credit card stops smoking from Christmas shopping.

This episode is hard to comment on. You guys were pretty thorough, and I agreed with just about everything.

First comment was on suggested chargers. The Align charger is okay, but overpriced for what it does IMO ($51):
http://www.helidirect.com/product_in...roducts_id=881
It's a minimal upgrade over the included eSky charger. You really need that interface so you can see how much you depleted your battery and to check if you have a dead cell.

The DN charger Jamie suggested is a better option, but it's a little hard to find these days.

My particular bargain favorite is the FMA CellPro 4S at $75:
http://www.fmadirect.com/detail.htm?...218&section=45
It auto-detects EVERYTHING (wiring and current setting) and it's autodetect charge-rate allows it to charge LiPo packs faster than any other charger I've witnessed. A dummy-proof, automatic charger with an understandable interface is gold for beginners.

If you want to spend more money for a multi-chemistry charger with built-in AC inverter, than I REALLY loved the Bantam e-Station BC6:
http://rcaccessory.com/index.asp?Pag...ROD&ProdID=241
While not as automated as the CellPro, it does have quick-charge and a built-in AC inverter.
Note to QuietRCFly: Get those in stock already! You have the cables, but not the chargers.

Next subject: The awesome Business Jet review. Excellent work EdgeFoamy! I was looking at the puny rudder on that thing. Why not put one motor on separate channel 7 and do some high-class mixing in the DX7 radio: differential thrust, baby! That'll give you some insane yaw-control in the air!
Master:Throttle, Slave:CH7. Mix: 100%
Master:Rudder, Slave:Throttle. Mix: 75%
Master:Rudder, Slave: CH7. Mix: -75%

Now, for the gift ideas:
I love the idea of RCGroups membership. A Magazine subscription would be pretty cool, too. If they're a kid, you can also get them AMA membership for really cheap, and that includes the Model Aviation magazine. It will also allow them to join in the fun at some of the club-sites with the HUGE models, too.

Micro-screwdrivers: always a good gift. I keep burning mine out (dull or twisted tips).

Getting a charger is only a good idea if you know exactly what they want. Many of us are pretty picky about chargers. LIPO batteries, however, are ALWAYS welcomed if you know what they use. Batteries age quickly, and the more you have, the more you can fly before you get hung up waiting for the charger.

That's about it. I'll miss you guys over Christmas, but I suppose you deserve a break. Thanks a lot, guys!

- Jim
macr0t0r is offline Find More Posts by macr0t0r
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 18, 2007, 04:13 PM
www.rctodayshow.com
Austin, TX
Joined Sep 2005
11,493 Posts
It was a good show!

And for the record, I was neither in the hot tub, nor enjoying a fruity tropical drink during the recording of #29. I was acting as a "stage hand" setting up and tearing down the dance floor for GoDance Studio's annual Holiday Dance Showcase.

-Chris
JustPlaneChris is online now Find More Posts by JustPlaneChris
Old Dec 18, 2007, 04:31 PM
All electric, all the time!
USA, WA, Bellevue
Joined Aug 2005
1,430 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by macr0t0r
If you want to spend more money for a multi-chemistry charger with built-in AC inverter, than I REALLY loved the Bantam e-Station BC6:
http://rcaccessory.com/index.asp?Pag...ROD&ProdID=241
While not as automated as the CellPro, it does have quick-charge and a built-in AC inverter.
Note to QuietRCFly: Get those in stock already! You have the cables, but not the chargers.

- Jim
In stock and has been: http://www.quietrcflying.com/Product...ductid=BAN-BC6

The new Hyperions look good too. I should get some of those in soon as well. They are a little cheaper than the BC-6, but I have not compared all the features yet.

Chris

Quiet RC Flying
www.quietrcflying.com
QuietRCFly is offline Find More Posts by QuietRCFly
Old Dec 18, 2007, 04:36 PM
Got more toys than my kid
USA, CA, Fremont
Joined Sep 2004
3,675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietRCFly
Oh....page 2. I need to pay attention. Anyhow, two of those chargers have appeared at the field...and they are the first thing to make me consider dropping my beloved Orbit Microlader charger!

- Jim
macr0t0r is offline Find More Posts by macr0t0r
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 18, 2007, 04:54 PM
allthingsthatfly.com
USA, ID, Meridian
Joined Jan 2007
6,145 Posts
It was me who said the Align charger. It balances and charges.
I have a whattmeter for dumping mAh data.

Thanks man!
Yeah, mags.. that's a good one too!
Old Dec 18, 2007, 05:02 PM
All electric, all the time!
USA, WA, Bellevue
Joined Aug 2005
1,430 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by macr0t0r
Oh....page 2. I need to pay attention. Anyhow, two of those chargers have appeared at the field...and they are the first thing to make me consider dropping my beloved Orbit Microlader charger!

- Jim
I use the Hyperion EOS 5i AC/DC, but only because I already had the balancer. The BC-6 would be great too with the built in balancer. I like having the ability to plug the charger in at home.

Chris

Quiet RC Flying
www.quietrcflying.com
QuietRCFly is offline Find More Posts by QuietRCFly
Old Dec 18, 2007, 05:15 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Haha, it is becoming evident that people can't tell us apart on the show But hey, at least they knew our names this time!! If there is any confusion, I am the one without the accent Well, I don't have an accent if you listen from the South East USA.

Yeah, I am the DN charger fanboy also. I found it back in my CX2 days. Have never tried one, but hear lots of good about the cellpro. I should try one sometime, but I have 3 of the DNs and 2 Bantam BC8's.

Diggs
Old Dec 18, 2007, 05:22 PM
Did you get it on video?
USA, FL, Miramar Beach
Joined Nov 2005
6,041 Posts
which one asks the dumb questions, he's my favorite!

Flying-Monkey is offline Find More Posts by Flying-Monkey
Old Dec 18, 2007, 05:23 PM
allthingsthatfly.com
USA, ID, Meridian
Joined Jan 2007
6,145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggs
Haha, it is becoming evident that people can't tell us apart on the show But hey, at least they knew our names this time!! If there is any confusion, I am the one without the accent Well, I don't have an accent if you listen from the South East USA.

Yeah, I am the DN charger fanboy also. I found it back in my CX2 days. Have never tried one, but hear lots of good about the cellpro. I should try one sometime, but I have 3 of the DNs and 2 Bantam BC8's.

Diggs
lol, Do I have an accent?
I'm surprised Chris doesn't, he sounds like "one of my people".
(I'm the dumb one PhotoHD)
Closed Thread