HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Dec 13, 2007, 12:18 AM
Got more toys than my kid
USA, CA, Fremont
Joined Sep 2004
3,676 Posts
Awesome show guys! I only have a little time, so I'm just going to comment on one subject for now. I'll get the rest, later.

Servo SUB-TRIM. Alright, please state WHAT funky transmitter you are talking about. For the Spectrum DX7, the sub-trim WILL slide the whole movement region exactly as it would if you set the regular trim. Subtrim is just more accurate.

Let's say you have the servo set to neutral at 0deg. Your travel adjust is 100% both ways, so it travels to +60deg and -60deg. Now, let's say you put in a subtrim of "+10" so that the servo is now centered at the "+6deg" mark. If you leave the travel adjust to %100 both ways, then the servo will now travel to "+66deg" and "-54deg" respectively. Go ahead and try it.

What happens is that some modelers will FIRST set their travel limits before setting their subtrims. Since the subtrim essentially slides the whole range of movement, it messes up their travel limits.

The Spektrum DX7 is especially easy to experiment with since one of the setup menus shows a slider chart of all your controls. You can modify the subtrim, regular trim, travel limits, and throw-rates, then go back to the slider-chart screen and work the controls to see how the movements are affected. To confirm the charts, go ahead and plug in a servo and tape on a protractor to confirm it (works for me).

If it's true that you have a radio where setting the subtrim to "+10" now means I only have 90% throw in one direction and 110% throw in the other, then please tell us the brand. That is a seriously confusing "feature."

Now....it IS possible that the servo was already maxed out. If that's the case, then setting a subtrim of "+10" will mean it can only travel "60deg" to "-54deg" with only 54 degrees of travel in the positive direction. To test if you're maxed or binding, slowly give it full deflection and see if it stops moving before you reach max throw.

Anyone remember the old servos? We only had slider trims. To center the servo, you removed the head-screw and inserted a small-diameter jeweler blade screwdriver. You could then slightly twist the potentiometer in the opposite direction you needed the servo to go. Don't forget to put the head-screw back on when you're done of the next flight will be tricky (oops).

- Jim
macr0t0r is offline Find More Posts by macr0t0r
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 13, 2007, 08:25 AM
USA, CA, Fremont
Joined Sep 2004
3,676 Posts
Okay...got some sleep.

Addendum to the sub-trim: another feature of the sub-trim is that it is tied directly to the servo. So, if you are doing mixes (CCPM, elevons, V-tail, etc), then the sub-trim will effect only the one servo, while your rocker trims will work through the mixing.

Comment on the Gyro in cold weather: JustPlaneChris called it when he said it was temperature-induced issues. The internal crystal vibration frequency fluctuates with temperature. In the winter, I have to leave my gyro turned on for at least 5 minutes prior to my first flight. Otherwise, my trim is way off and the gain seems to be off.

And finally, comment on the CopterX. Errrrr...maybe I shouldn't comment on it....I mean, there are many helicopters that are similar to the T-Rex. No, this has to be said for this particular heli: to have a company replicate somebody's engineering to the MILLIMETER and then slap their own name on it...of course it's cheaper, they didn't have to do research, design and test on the thing! The CopterX is nice, but only because Align designed it.

If you want to look at a high-performance, low-cost alternative, I'd suggest looking at the Thunder Tiger Mini Titan E325:
http://www.helidirect.com/product_in...oducts_id=3616
They did their homework on that one, and it's gotten good reports.

Really looking forward to Edge's reviews. Live-spoken reviews is something that is long overdue in this hobby! Great show, guys!

- Jim
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 13, 2007, 06:04 PM
www.insideheli.com
Joined Jun 2007
1,293 Posts
To answer the Telebee Gyro in the cold issue. I live in Ohio. So it gets cold here as well. BUT, I am not that addicted to fly outside in the cold. Doesn't mean I haven't though . But here is what you have to do.

You need to get Gyro to the same temp as it is outside BEFORE you power it up and fly. To do this, just take your heli and set it outside for 15-20 minutes. Do not leave your LIPO in it. Keep your LIPO in the house till you are ready to fly. After the heli has been sitting outside, power it up and retrim to remove servo drift. After you have done that you should be good to go. What I do is leave my heli in my unheated shed. Then it is always just about the same temp as it is outside. Keep in mind, plastic = glass when it gets too cold.

SPaRX
sparx is offline Find More Posts by sparx
Old Dec 13, 2007, 06:11 PM
USA, CA, Fremont
Joined Sep 2004
3,676 Posts
Good grief, this temperature thing is a pain! I keep my heli in the garage, so it's already outside temp. However, the colder outside it is, the more my trim drifts during the first couple minutes it's powered up.

But then, sparx makes a valid point that if you keep your heli indoors and power up outside...now the circuitry will actually COOL DOWN as you fly. It will probably drift during most of the flight.

Either way, it still seems best to place your heli outside with the gyro powered up for about 5 minutes in order to let it find an equilibrium.

- Jim
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 14, 2007, 11:03 AM
There is no place like Hodges!
United States, GA, Byron
Joined Mar 2007
3,549 Posts
Hey guys what do you think??
edge5foamy is offline Find More Posts by edge5foamy
Old Dec 14, 2007, 11:19 AM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Too funny man.

Enjoy the Telemaster! I want to see how you do the lights on it.

Diggs
Diggs is offline Find More Posts by Diggs
Old Dec 14, 2007, 11:25 AM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
For any of you that have heard us talk about the giant 13ft wing project, Laine is going for his 3rd attempt (the charm?) today at the hobby lobby field in Nashville.

Thread
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=731005

Go wish him luck. Would be awesome to see this thing in the air.

Diggs
Old Dec 15, 2007, 06:20 PM
United States, GA, Byron
Joined Mar 2007
3,549 Posts
Ok guys, I had a Hyperion 2213-24, and 20A ESC that was not currently being used, so I put it one the Slow Stick. HOLY CRAP! This thing has an insane amount of power now, and it is lighter!

It almost has too much power.

I will post pics, and video tomorrow.
Old Dec 15, 2007, 07:47 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edge5foamy
Ok guys, I had a Hyperion 2213-24, and 20A ESC that was not currently being used, so I put it one the Slow Stick. HOLY CRAP! This thing has an insane amount of power now, and it is lighter!

It almost has too much power.

I will post pics, and video tomorrow.
Thats what I am talkin about. Come to the dark side. I love a SS with way too much power!!

Diggs
Old Dec 15, 2007, 07:49 PM
Joined Jan 2006
1,413 Posts
hmmm time for my weekly question.

Whats on for this weeks show boys?
SNIPE_53 is offline Find More Posts by SNIPE_53
Old Dec 15, 2007, 09:23 PM
United States, GA, Byron
Joined Mar 2007
3,549 Posts
Just to let yall know. I am just going to post the Jet review this week, and I am saving the Telemaster review for next week.
Old Dec 15, 2007, 09:24 PM
United States, GA, Byron
Joined Mar 2007
3,549 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggs
Thats what I am talkin about. Come to the dark side. I love a SS with way too much power!!

Diggs
Yep, I love it. My next mod is to add ailerons!
Old Dec 15, 2007, 10:55 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Edge,

Do the flat bottom wings with the ailerons and remove the dihedral. I want to try it on my next SS build.

Diggs
Old Dec 15, 2007, 11:28 PM
United States, GA, Byron
Joined Mar 2007
3,549 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggs
Edge,

Do the flat bottom wings with the ailerons and remove the dihedral. I want to try it on my next SS build.

Diggs
Yeah, thats the plan. I want to buy a replacment stock wings, so I can change them out for day or night flying.
Old Dec 16, 2007, 04:27 AM
Helis Fall With Grace & Style
Kalispell Montana BIG SKY COUNTRY!
Joined Aug 2007
864 Posts
Well dangn't all you you guys. Talking about all these planes and stuff I decided what the hell, I may as well get one. I had one of those AeroBirds a while back. Taught myself to fly through trial and error on that thing. Got to the point where I could do some loops and have fun with it. Then I smashed it into a building so it was toast. I picked up 4 of those Venom Park Fighters the Mustangs and I am keeping one for myself Of course I tell my wife, I have to test out the products. Hell all it needs is a Receiver and Battery. From what info I could find it sounds like an okay Deal. Check it out at Venom's Site: Mustang Park Fighter

What do you guys think? This dude who owns a few airplanes said it easily goes over 50! Sounds fun. I fifgured it would be a way to relax from flying the helis . I can fly airplanes no problem on a sim so i am thinking it shouldn't be to bad in real life. We'll have to see I guess.

SO any tips, hints, tricks, mods, or upgrades I should know about. How bout the wheels, can I upgrade those. Anything ALLErc.com sells I can get, like GWS, Hyperion and all that good plane stuff I have no clue about . The Airplane is basically ready to go. I am gonna throw my AR7000 in it until I put that in my swift and then I will put in the AR6100, my MP 2100Mah 11.1V 15c Li-Po and call it good. That sound okay? From what I can gather setting up the plane is pretty easy compared to a heli, am I right? Aileron, Elev, Rudder, adn Throttle correct? Well any help is greatly appreciated guys and I will let you know how it looks and how it fly's. I am just gonna get rid of these for cheap and keep one. See ya.

Kyle

Now I am gonna have to hear it from the guys at the heli club. Our club shirt say "Airplanes are for those who can't fly Helis!" Well hell, or how bout "Those who Can Fly, Fly Both" . Yeah I like that better. Maybe I'll make my own Club Kyle T-Shirt.
RcSuperSales-Net is offline Find More Posts by RcSuperSales-Net
Last edited by RcSuperSales-Net; Dec 16, 2007 at 05:06 AM.
Closed Thread