Closed Thread
Old Dec 08, 2007, 10:30 PM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xeispen
My mom took me to my old middle school this morning with a nice big field and a SS charged up on a 2s. I set it on the grass throttle up and it flies!!!
Woohoo!! That is always a nice way to start out.

Quote:
So I do a few circuits and was surprised at how well it handles. The thing makes the best sound. It's basically just the sound of the wind. I make a few low passes, and look back at my mom. Now she basically hates the heli's I fly because she says they are loud and do nothing. . They we are with a big smile on her face. I just scored some mom points as she said she liked it.
Direct drive motors are the deal. For me, night flying must be nice and quiet due to where I fly. Don't want to upset the neighbors and lose the use of my field. Congrats on the mom points!

Quote:
The thing certainly lacks some power, thought I got a good 8-10 minutes out of it. At the end I landed, the thing is easy to land . I take a good look at it and holy moly it's in 1 piece . That's quite a concept.

I will definitely be going back tomorrow
You need to invest in a 3S pack with about 1500mah. Hang it and check the CG again. You should be able to get a good 15~20 mins from that, and the lack of power will vanish. Landing the SS is fun since it is pretty simple. But it has to be setup correctly or it can be a challenge to land. Sounds like you have it dialed in nicely on the first go. And yes, it is nice to return home with the same number of aircraft you left with, AND all in once piece!! That is what sold me on planes. Enjoy the SS! OH and hang some LEDs on it and have your mom go to the field at night. I bet she would be impressed. My father loves to go watch me fly at night.

Diggs
Diggs is offline Find More Posts by Diggs
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 08, 2007, 10:48 PM
Joined Jan 2006
1,413 Posts
Diggs what is the next model your thinking of getting?
SNIPE_53 is offline Find More Posts by SNIPE_53
Old Dec 08, 2007, 10:57 PM
Creme Filled Pirouette
Pomona, Ca
Joined Jul 2007
904 Posts
Thanks for the words Diggs

What kind of timing do you set for the BP 8y motor?
xeispen is offline Find More Posts by xeispen
Old Dec 08, 2007, 11:09 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Well Burke turned me on to the CST Foamy Katana, which isn't available yet. But, I am liking what I see.

http://www.cst-katana.com/welcome.html

I have setup a deal for a 2 meter Patriot Pattern plane also. The Christmas bonus should arrive next week. So that will be my next plane. It is Plug and Play, just add fuel and RX and probably an RX pack. It will be my first glow/nitro plane. I am looking forward to trying it out. I am sure I will either love it or hate it It is a huge step up from the mostly small or big and slow electric stuff I have been flying.

I also bought a Freebird from hobby Lobby during their black Friday sale. I hope I get some of the parts to complete her for Christmas Asked for folding prop and spinner, batts and motor. Hopefully Santa will swing into hobby lobby before he gets here.

I also have like 20 + kits sitting in my garage along with 5 or so partially completed projects. The Pulse just needs servos for the ailerons, and my twin engine ritewing demon 40 just needs a pair of ESCs The great planes yard stick needs servos. And the fliton flubber needs electronics, but the plane is assembled.

I really want to build my Copperhead aviation extra Stiffy . It has been sitting in the garage for probably 3 months I just keep finding other things I want to build and it gets pushed back. But the guys at my field are hovering around profile foamies all the time, and I need to get in on the fun I might even learn to hover a plane!!

Diggs

OH, here is a pic of the pattern plane. This will likely force me to buy a van or a trailer.
Old Dec 08, 2007, 11:23 PM
Joined Jan 2006
1,413 Posts
Wow... alot of projects well good luck with all of them.

A mate of mine flys pattern ships... well, he used too. He has moved on to competing Nationally in Aerobatics in the 2.6 meter (100 inch) comps. Way to expensive for me

With a model like that, a trailer is a must i would be thinking. Best thing about a trailer is, if the wife kicks you out, you have somewhere to sleep
SNIPE_53 is offline Find More Posts by SNIPE_53
Old Dec 09, 2007, 12:42 AM
Got more toys than my kid
USA, CA, Fremont
Joined Sep 2004
3,675 Posts
That Katana should be put at the front of the list. Man, what a well-thought-out design! It's made of the right material, too.

- Jim
macr0t0r is offline Find More Posts by macr0t0r
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 09, 2007, 08:30 AM
Team Mulikow
Manila, Philippines
Joined Oct 2006
9,564 Posts
Thanks GFBruke and Diggs for asking all the "stupid" questions. Thanks Justplanechris for answering them. What a team!

Boy that floored me. I had soda spraying out of my noise causing a terrible brain freeze.
Gino CP is offline Find More Posts by Gino CP
Old Dec 09, 2007, 10:29 AM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by macr0t0r
That Katana should be put at the front of the list. Man, what a well-thought-out design! It's made of the right material, too.

- Jim
Yeah, I am watching for when it becomes available. Hopefully I will be able to pick one up and compare it to the Extra Stiffy. The Extra is a true flat profile, but I hear it is a great flyer. Wish they would get them out to market!

Diggs
Old Dec 10, 2007, 11:14 PM
There is no place like Hodges!
United States, GA, Byron
Joined Mar 2007
3,549 Posts
Ok, I finished the build of the Jet, but will not be able to fly it till this weekend

Anyway, here are a few pics for those of you who just cant wait for the review...
edge5foamy is offline Find More Posts by edge5foamy
Old Dec 10, 2007, 11:26 PM
SF Bay Area, CA
Joined Feb 2006
857 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edge5foamy
Ok, I finished the build of the Jet, but will not be able to fly it till this weekend
Very nice. Twin EDFs yes? What are the specs? What packs will you run? (sorry for the barrage of questions, but I saw a couple of EDFs in flight this weekend at my local field and really liked the way they looked (and sounded)

I think I'm in the market for and EDF.
glucoseboy is offline Find More Posts by glucoseboy
Old Dec 10, 2007, 11:29 PM
allthingsthatfly.com
USA, ID, Meridian
Joined Jan 2007
6,145 Posts
OOo you will just have to wait for the review eh?
jk

Not sure if we will get video or not yet, but Edge says he is about ready.
We will get him on next show to talk a bit about it as well.
GFBurke is offline Find More Posts by GFBurke
Last edited by GFBurke; Dec 10, 2007 at 11:35 PM.
Old Dec 11, 2007, 08:41 AM
United States, GA, Byron
Joined Mar 2007
3,549 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glucoseboy
Very nice. Twin EDFs yes? What are the specs? What packs will you run? (sorry for the barrage of questions, but I saw a couple of EDFs in flight this weekend at my local field and really liked the way they looked (and sounded)

I think I'm in the market for and EDF.

Well, I dont want to give out alot of info before the review, but I can answer your questions. Yes it is twin EDF, it has a 47'' wingspan, and is 53-1/4'' long. I will be running two PolyQuest 3s 1800mah batteries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFBurke
Not sure if we will get video or not yet.
Yes I will get video of it, and put the video on YouTube, then I will put the link to the video in the review.
Old Dec 11, 2007, 11:24 AM
allthingsthatfly.com
USA, ID, Meridian
Joined Jan 2007
6,145 Posts
Ep #28 is up~
GFBurke is offline Find More Posts by GFBurke
Old Dec 11, 2007, 01:43 PM
United States, GA, Byron
Joined Mar 2007
3,549 Posts
Just got done listining to #28

Thanks for the shout out, and yes I cant wait for SEFF! I would love to help do a live broadcast from there if possible.
Old Dec 11, 2007, 09:38 PM
North Carolina
Joined Apr 2007
115 Posts
jamie, chris, and diggs great show keep it up and
thanks for answering my question on blade pitch
Jonasj828 is offline Find More Posts by Jonasj828
Closed Thread