HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Nov 30, 2007, 01:57 PM
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2007
692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPlaneChris
Agreed, I've now flown the following HH gyros (listed in order of "locked in" feel):

Esky HH
Telebee
Is there any performance or mechanical robustness difference between the 6g and 11g Telebees? Does anyone have any experience with the Telebee that Albert is selling at aero-fever.net? It weighs 9g, and looks to have an additional pot to control the tail servo range.
ccdengr is offline Find More Posts by ccdengr
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 30, 2007, 03:17 PM
allthingsthatfly.com
USA, ID, Meridian
Joined Jan 2007
6,144 Posts
When we had a big discussion somewhere on these forums about the differences between the Telebee 6g, 9g and 11g.. I don't think we could find a difference at the time. I use the 6g and it's great and I'm sure I had a 9g at some point and it was the same as this one..
GFBurke is offline Find More Posts by GFBurke
Old Nov 30, 2007, 03:27 PM
duc's can't realy fly !
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2006
29 Posts
Deans

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFBurke
Well, the copy Deans or the normal Deans wont help in the event your pulling too many amps through them.. Neither one should get that hot. I use all "copy deans" and I have used normal ones. But metal/plastic is still metal/plastic and can carry the same current due to size.

Unless this copy dean was already defective and shorting out. That could happen in manufacturing..
Burke
Your absolutly right neither should get that hot and thats the point.
I think the connector plastic housing on this copy brand was defective in that material softened at lower temp...

When I solder I use a heat sink so as not to get the pin to hot. If per chance I had started the deforming of the plastic case during soldering this my have created a poor conection... poor / high resivtive joints in a high current circuit will produce a heat spot... Would we expect all deans copies to come from the same source? no... I bought these from a LHS and I can say with certainty that the colour was dull and off tint in comparison with my others... Their are even green Veneom ones on the maket that look the same but have slightly differing spec's so as to make them none interoperable with red ones.. (though you could jam them) so if this can be the case then maybe mixing differing brands is the issue as the fit may not me optimum ... causing a poor joint.

I guess at the end of the day it fixed the problem.. and thats great.

Da Duc... adapt at paddling backwards faster than the mouth
ssducman is offline Find More Posts by ssducman
Old Nov 30, 2007, 04:24 PM
Got more toys than my kid
USA, CA, Fremont
Joined Sep 2004
3,675 Posts
To clarify on the whole "deans plug" versus "deans STYLE plug":

I'm not a real fan of clones since that business model usually means stealing another company's reputation in order to push out crappy components. Some clones are better than others, but it's always a gamble.

REAL deans connectors use a nylon body with gold-plated pins. The gold-plated contacts have low resistance, which means low heat. The nylon body will handle pretty high heat without melting.

A CLONE is usually just brass pins with a PVC body. Higher resistance, higher heat emitting, and lower heat tolerance due to the softer plastic. The real deans can handle 10-12 amps easy. The clones I usually cap at 7 or 8 amps. Soldering the clones are a pain as well, since you have to connect the plugs together to prevent them from deforming.

I have a batch of clones because I didn't know better. They said "Deans" and I was fooled to not notice "style." I use the clones for my lesser applications. I don't consider plugs to be a major cost compared to other components, yet so much depends on them working well, so I usually buy the real deal for my own piece of mind.

Anyhow, I have mixed feelings on the whole "clone" thing since I don't want there to be a monopoly as well. Not everyone needs the top performance but would like to have things standardized. I just wish the clones had a different shape or color so I could tell them apart. Right now I have to drill a small hole in each one so it doesn't get re-used in a high-amp application.

You know what I REALLY want? A high-performance JST connector! I'm sick of heat-shrink tubing. Ah well....

- Jim
macr0t0r is offline Find More Posts by macr0t0r
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 30, 2007, 04:44 PM
allthingsthatfly.com
USA, ID, Meridian
Joined Jan 2007
6,144 Posts
lol ya.
I solder my "fake ones" the same as I do the normal ones. The only annoyance to me is the "mini fake ones" since I end up pulling the metal out of the casing .. by overheating them with the iron. But otherwise I haven't quite noticed an issue yet. Then again, I only run up to 3s lipos and don't have any planes that crazy..
GFBurke is offline Find More Posts by GFBurke
Old Nov 30, 2007, 04:57 PM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by macr0t0r

You know what I REALLY want? A high-performance JST connector! I'm sick of heat-shrink tubing. Ah well....

- Jim

I will second that motion. Can we also have a standard on balance taps!?!

Diggs
Diggs is offline Find More Posts by Diggs
Old Nov 30, 2007, 05:11 PM
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2007
692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by macr0t0r
You know what I REALLY want? A high-performance JST connector! I'm sick of heat-shrink tubing.
I recently noticed that bphobbies is selling Anderson Powerpoles, so I bought a bunch of them and plan to convert over and toss all my Deans. Even if I have to solder them instead of crimping because I'm too cheap to buy the tool, they have to be an improvement.
ccdengr is offline Find More Posts by ccdengr
Old Nov 30, 2007, 05:32 PM
walkera (ab)user
Joined Jul 2007
143 Posts
be careful when soldering andersons, it is possible to anneal the conductor base metal (typically electroplated copper), the softened metal will then deform with repeated use. i've had the conductive element disengage from the spring steel retainer inside the headshell, the connector then gets pushed back and .....well, you can imagine, the connection fails when current demand increases. i use a croc clip as a heatsink when soldering these.
gimbal is offline Find More Posts by gimbal
Old Nov 30, 2007, 06:17 PM
USA, CA, Fremont
Joined Sep 2004
3,675 Posts
Solder andersons? That's like putting a gear-drive on an outrunner! The tool can be bought for as little as $13: http://www.powerwerx.com/category.asp?CtgID=1022 I just wish the connectos were lighter and less bulky. I want the size and weigt of a JST connector, the quality contacts of the micro-dean, and the ease of build of the Anderson powerpole. I'm not asking too much, am I?

I've semi-standardized the whole connector and balance-connector mess with my stuff: I just made my OWN system!
http://www.srbatteries.com/images/prodlarg/dnsminil.jpg
I'll post pics about it later. I disliked having two connectors on my batteries (weight and stuff). So, I use 3-pin and 4-pin deans connectors. On the battery, the first pin is the "full positive" male. The second pin is the "full negative" female. The third and fourth pins are "balance" female. In short, the first 2 pins are just like the standard 2-pin micro-deans connector for me to plug the ESC to. The next 1 or 2 pins are the balance pins. I then just create my own balance connector for my charger.
Result: I have only one plug on the battery. I only need 2-pin micro-dean connectos on the model, and the balance connector is polarized!

However...it means I have to ALWAYS solder on my own connector with each battery I build. Oh well.

- Jim
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 30, 2007, 06:19 PM
Farmington, NY
Joined Sep 2007
479 Posts
Really enjoyed the last show. Found the information on props very, interesting. You also talked about wearing gloves. I've been using a pair of thin Cannodale winter riding gloves. They have a rubber texture on the palms. Don't (real) fighter pilots wear gloves?????
lextek is offline Find More Posts by lextek
Old Nov 30, 2007, 06:49 PM
duc's can't realy fly !
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2006
29 Posts
Cheap copies / low quality copies

I'm thinking it's all about risk management.
$500 - $1000 dollars up in the air (inclusive)
$1 - $6 power connector
No power in mid flight priceless..............

It's just not worth the risk for a couple of bucks and realy how many are we talking about in your kit..... I spend more on useless bling .. looks great but of no real value most of the time.

Da Duc... learning is a process of continuous improvement... with or without help...
ssducman is offline Find More Posts by ssducman
Last edited by ssducman; Dec 01, 2007 at 03:16 AM.
Old Dec 01, 2007, 02:54 AM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
signed into Twitter, but have no clue.... I am following you burke, which is kinda scary!!

Diggs
Old Dec 01, 2007, 10:06 AM
USA, CA, Fremont
Joined Sep 2004
3,675 Posts
I'm signed in as macr0t0r. Is it just me, or is this essentially an invitation to be stalked?

- Jim
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 03, 2007, 08:06 PM
Joined Jan 2006
1,413 Posts
Whats on for this ep?
SNIPE_53 is offline Find More Posts by SNIPE_53
Old Dec 03, 2007, 08:10 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
It's a haugepage of things actually. I would think it will be up fairly soon. Went over listener mail and topics brought up there and other various things posted here on RCG. Some good info hidden in there But you will have to listen.

Diggs
Closed Thread