HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
Old May 27, 2008, 10:32 PM
Registered User
Lonelasso's Avatar
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Dec 2006
13,752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggs

I am such an idiot!! Well, months from now I will actually build the replacement once I buy it

Well, it is part of the game!

Diggs
You're the one that 'hooked' me Doug ! I'm really excited bout the extra....excellent quailty, almost built itself ! Gotta say though....the EZ connectors are missing from the hardware bag No biggy though, will swing by HobbyCrown (JPC coined that phrase ) and pick some up. Of course, I can't go in there with finding 'other' stuff I might need
Sorry to hear bout your extreme extra man Don't be too hard on yourself, as you said...it's part of the addiction, err...game
Ohhh....using tower pro 9gs, 6ch RX, 40A ESC, 2212-10 1400kv motor (All from Dave n Sara @ Lightflight) G-force 3S 1000mah 20c from Value Hobby. Gonna start with a APC 10x4.7 SF, will probably need to drop down to 9x4.7 cause of higher kv...we'll see

-Dave
Lonelasso is offline Find More Posts by Lonelasso
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old May 27, 2008, 10:45 PM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Diggs's Avatar
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
I have been getting pretty short runtimes with the loong max 1000 on the extra. Not sure why. I typically use the 1300's. It will work fine, but be careful on the LVC.

Well, I have to be hard on myself on this one. It was all me. I have been doing really well lately and of all the planes I could have crashed it was my current favorite!! Before the balsa shrapnel fest that is. I could knife this plane like no other I own. Inverted it was rock solid and simple. I thought it needed more power the first few times I flew it, but quickly found out I was being foolish, it was pretty much perfect. Odd, I didn't break the prop... Dunno how it survived. The motor pushed through the mount and the fuse is just gone from the wings forward. it snapped just behind the wings too. Tail section is good, and one wing looks perfect. That is all that survived. Haven't checked the electronics, but they will go on a foamy.


Diggs
Diggs is offline Find More Posts by Diggs
Old May 27, 2008, 11:23 PM
allthingsthatfly.com
GFBurke's Avatar
USA, ID, Meridian
Joined Jan 2007
6,145 Posts
O man! ?


CellPro 4. Very nice. Home made PC PSU to charge.. big, heavy, wont fit in tackle box. Buy FMA wall charging brick for $30? Na, $15.00
Works great, half price.
GFBurke is offline Find More Posts by GFBurke
Old May 27, 2008, 11:31 PM
Registered User
Lonelasso's Avatar
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Dec 2006
13,752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggs
I have been getting pretty short runtimes with the loong max 1000 on the extra. Not sure why. I typically use the 1300's. It will work fine, but be careful on the LVC.

Well, I have to be hard on myself on this one. It was all me. I have been doing really well lately and of all the planes I could have crashed it was my current favorite!! Before the balsa shrapnel fest that is. I could knife this plane like no other I own. Inverted it was rock solid and simple. I thought it needed more power the first few times I flew it, but quickly found out I was being foolish, it was pretty much perfect. Odd, I didn't break the prop... Dunno how it survived. The motor pushed through the mount and the fuse is just gone from the wings forward. it snapped just behind the wings too. Tail section is good, and one wing looks perfect. That is all that survived. Haven't checked the electronics, but they will go on a foamy.


Diggs
Gonna do Acromaster ? Or...maybe the new Parkmaster 3d ? Yeah...thought i'd try the 1000s, if they don't work out...can use em in my Compy FP !

-Dave
Lonelasso is offline Find More Posts by Lonelasso
Old May 27, 2008, 11:33 PM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Diggs's Avatar
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bildo baggins
No video huh? I like carnage
No video, but here is the aftermath since you requested it

Diggs
Diggs is offline Find More Posts by Diggs
Old May 27, 2008, 11:49 PM
allthingsthatfly.com
GFBurke's Avatar
USA, ID, Meridian
Joined Jan 2007
6,145 Posts
Wow that's some crash. No hot glue there. Are you going to do another balsa 3D?
GFBurke is offline Find More Posts by GFBurke
Old May 27, 2008, 11:53 PM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Diggs's Avatar
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFBurke
Wow that's some crash. No hot glue there. Are you going to do another balsa 3D?
The Freedom 3D was the next flight Which is a BIG 3D balsa plane that is out of production and will not be replaced. I doubt I could find another. But I got back on the horse so to speak.

Diggs
EDIT, added pic. The Freedom is the one in the center with the flag layout.
Diggs is offline Find More Posts by Diggs
Old May 27, 2008, 11:59 PM
Chillin till SEFF
bildo baggins's Avatar
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,726 Posts
Oh yeah, you did that one up right Diggs. RIP
bildo baggins is offline Find More Posts by bildo baggins
Old May 28, 2008, 02:28 AM
Closed Account
Joined Feb 2008
990 Posts
http://www.intelligentflight.com.au/

Maybe a review could be done on this unit, because of ur lack of luck with the other guys
EDFjet is offline Find More Posts by EDFjet
Old May 28, 2008, 03:31 AM
Ook!
skaffen's Avatar
New Zealand
Joined Aug 2007
1,496 Posts
Bummer Diggs, but think of it this way - now you've got a free slot on your Tx Great show guys, you've got some good flow going on between you. My EasyStar has just cleared customs, hurry up brown santa! (well, it's red and yellow santa here - brown santa still sounds like some backdoor p0rn thing to me

OT, but your comments about how they make motors chime reminded me - here's a Renault R25 Formula 1 car in the garage being controlled by a laptop - they make the motor do God Save the Queen!

Renault F1 Song (1 min 36 sec)
skaffen is offline Find More Posts by skaffen
Old May 28, 2008, 08:56 AM
www.rctodayshow.com
JustPlaneChris's Avatar
Austin, TX
Joined Sep 2005
11,506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggs
No video, but here is the aftermath since you requested it

Diggs
Dude, that's fixable! Wings, tail and aft fuselage are fine. A little CA, some scrap balsa and ply and some covering.... good as new. DO NOT throw that in the trash.

-Chris
JustPlaneChris is online now Find More Posts by JustPlaneChris
Old May 28, 2008, 09:12 AM
Well, now that you know ...
Bigster's Avatar
Grafton, Massachusetts, United States
Joined Sep 2004
5,779 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPlaneChris
Dude, that's fixable! Wings, tail and aft fuselage are fine. A little CA, some scrap balsa and ply and some covering.... good as new. DO NOT throw that in the trash.

-Chris
I s*ck at building, but there are some big pieces there. I hope you don't toss it, Diggs. Just keep it around a while and when the shock wears off, you'll glue it back together.
Bigster is offline Find More Posts by Bigster
Old May 28, 2008, 09:17 AM
Closed Account
Joined Feb 2008
990 Posts
Guys, just listened to the latest ep.

Brushed Motors

Just with reversing the postive and negaive on a brushed motor. All it does is change the direction the shaft rotates. No ill effects on the motor what so ever


Rudder and Yaw

You guys spoke about the rudder turning the plane. The rudders main function is to yaw the plane. That is, change the direction of the nose on the horizontal axis. Also, you guys mentioned that if you use enough rudder, you will do a roll.

That is because the "secondary effect" of yaw, is roll. That is, if enough rudder input is used, it will induce roll. Vise Versa, The secondary effect of yaw, is roll.
EDFjet is offline Find More Posts by EDFjet
Old May 28, 2008, 09:27 AM
Registered User
UK
Joined Oct 2006
166 Posts
Great Episode,
The buzzing from the motors being like a speaker is exactly what that is, you can make most things vibrate, and the frequency that you can make a given mass vibrate will produce a noise, varying that frequency within the natural frequency band of an object will produce a different frequency/tone.

You can try this by removing the driver coil off a speaker and attaching it to household objects, try your back door, or plant pot, or mirror, then just connect the speaker to a source
budgetbus is offline Find More Posts by budgetbus
Old May 28, 2008, 11:30 AM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Diggs's Avatar
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDFjet


Rudder and Yaw

You guys spoke about the rudder turning the plane. The rudders main function is to yaw the plane. That is, change the direction of the nose on the horizontal axis. Also, you guys mentioned that if you use enough rudder, you will do a roll.

That is because the "secondary effect" of yaw, is roll. That is, if enough rudder input is used, it will induce roll. Vise Versa, The secondary effect of yaw, is roll.
All true and we should have gotten into that probably, but this was a beginners show and the planes we were discussing use the rudder to "turn" the plane, but yes you are correct. Might touch on that later just to clarify.


BURKE!!
Just saw the vid of the FS. Did it survive?

Diggs
Diggs is offline Find More Posts by Diggs
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Micro Heli available Now! Kevin P Product Announcements 6 Jul 29, 2008 08:44 AM
Rave All Things That Fly Podcast - Now live!! GFBurke Electric Plane Talk 2 Jul 22, 2007 06:12 PM
Cool Insideheli Podcast: Now Live! JustPlaneChris Mini Helis 41 Jun 07, 2007 06:54 PM
Cool Insideheli Podcast: Now live! JustPlaneChris Electric Heli Talk 2 May 03, 2007 01:31 AM
Inside Story, out now Graham Stabler Scratchbuilt Indoor and Micro Models 2 Feb 24, 2003 02:40 PM