HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 01, 2007, 10:23 AM
Car Junkie trying to fly
United States, FL, Deltona
Joined Oct 2005
1,175 Posts
Discussion
Building a Hobby Lobby Pitts S-2 (14.90$ special)

Almost done building this plane (2nd build after the Yak-55), I'm just waiting on servos from UnitedHobbies (so might be a long wait )

A few questions if anyone has this plane:

The Rudder seems to have little travel available, not sure if this is intentional, or if cutting a larger area out of the elevator is needed.

The motor mount seemed to be offset looking at the pre-drilled screwholes. I centered the motor to the frame, and mounted it that way.

Carbon rods. I got 3 in my kit. 1 for the wing support, 2 for the landing gear.

Looking at the instructions, it appears that you are supposed to use carbon for the rudder\elevator controls, as typical in HL kits, but I did not have them available. Instead of pilfering from 1 of my other unbuilt kits (I bought 3 of these) I just made a support for the wire pushrods to go threw about mid length in the frame, and this seems like it might do the trick.

I will post a photo or 2 later, if interested. I installed the deck foam piece upside down by mistake, as I just was not paying attention (was in my garage bench, also watching my 3yr old play outside while building) but it just shows the graphics on the bottom now, not the top....no big deal......
Y2kGTP is offline Find More Posts by Y2kGTP
Last edited by Y2kGTP; May 01, 2007 at 11:43 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 01, 2007, 10:29 AM
Car Junkie trying to fly
Joined Oct 2005
1,175 Posts
Also, I will be using Poly-quest 800mah 3C batteries, CC Thunderbird 18ESC, Esskay 400XT Outrunner Brushless Motor & APC 10x3.8 Prop.

I plan on moving the batteries, ESC & spektrum Rx between the foamies....when 1 dies a disastrous death, move to the other one
Old May 01, 2007, 12:09 PM
Car Junkie trying to fly
Joined Oct 2005
1,175 Posts
Couple photos....I painted the supports black as I did not like the wood look. (and was out of white)

I did not have blenderm tape yet, so just used packing tape, as it was sitting on the shelf

Old May 01, 2007, 01:10 PM
Joined May 2005
241 Posts
Would like to know how it flys

I bought one of these for $14.90 as well. Bought the Esskay 400Xt, too.

Would like to know how it flies. I'm just getting into these flat foam jobs after a long RC layoff. I'll check my kit to see how much carbon rod came in it.

Al
Alard is offline Find More Posts by Alard
Old May 01, 2007, 01:35 PM
Car Junkie trying to fly
Joined Oct 2005
1,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alard
I bought one of these for $14.90 as well. Bought the Esskay 400Xt, too.

Would like to know how it flies. I'm just getting into these flat foam jobs after a long RC layoff. I'll check my kit to see how much carbon rod came in it.

Al
I had the extra motor as I bought it with the yak-55's. Next ones I am going to try the UnitedHobbies 15 & 20$ combos

Here is a better angle of the "guide" I made. I don't have servo's yet, so not sure if I will need to add a 2nd guide, or not. Hobby Lobby replied to me today about this:

"FROM LOOKING AT ONE OF THE KITS, IT APPEARS THAT THEY HAVE CHANGED THOSE PUSHRODS TO METAL. THEY HAVE A "Z" BEND ON ONE END, AND ARE THREADED ON THE OTHER END."

However, these are the same rods that come with the Yay-55, and they provide carbon rods to use.

Old May 01, 2007, 02:35 PM
Frderick MD
Joined Oct 2004
94 Posts
Don't worry about the amount of rudder throw. The only thing that happens when you put in rudder control is the Pitts pitches straight down! Like most Bi-planes it doesn't knife edge well.
stickyzdc is offline Find More Posts by stickyzdc
Old May 01, 2007, 02:42 PM
Car Junkie trying to fly
Joined Oct 2005
1,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickyzdc
Don't worry about the amount of rudder throw. The only thing that happens when you put in rudder control is the Pitts pitches straight down! Like most Bi-planes it doesn't knife edge well.
Thanks....looking forward to flying it...thought I would ask.....
Old May 01, 2007, 02:46 PM
Car Junkie trying to fly
Joined Oct 2005
1,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickyzdc
Strange....looking at the video on HL page, it shows the rudder with more throw as they modified the elevator. Also had a slight knife-edge flying at the end of the video

http://media-timewarner.icglink.com/...K060-Pitts.wmv
Old May 01, 2007, 04:01 PM
Car Junkie trying to fly
Joined Oct 2005
1,175 Posts
Well, my servos just showed up today from UnitedHobbies (ordered 6) guess I don't have an excuse now to finish the build

10 days shipping time from Hong Kong is not bad at all....
Last edited by Y2kGTP; May 01, 2007 at 04:10 PM.
Old May 04, 2007, 09:24 AM
Car Junkie trying to fly
Joined Oct 2005
1,175 Posts
Any way to get the airlons to line up correctly when under throw?
Old May 05, 2007, 01:42 PM
Chaska, mn
Joined Jun 2006
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2kGTP
Any way to get the airlons to line up correctly when under throw?
I don't think it's possible...

It looks like you didn't run the elevator/rudder linkages to the mounting area for the servos. It's a bit too low.

The link below is the result of knife edge with that minimal rudder throw of this plane...

Ouch!
lmerdan is offline Find More Posts by lmerdan
Old May 05, 2007, 03:25 PM
3D it
grandjunction, CO
Joined Feb 2007
511 Posts
the radix knife edges like a DREAM(its a bipe)....way easier than anything that ive flown, hardly any coupling either

boy that thing looks way to fragile, you'd be better off to spend 20 at slofly.com get a nice epp plane, and be able to put it down while your learning...
kell0993 is offline Find More Posts by kell0993
Old May 05, 2007, 08:30 PM
Car Junkie trying to fly
Joined Oct 2005
1,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmerdan
I don't think it's possible...

It looks like you didn't run the elevator/rudder linkages to the mounting area for the servos. It's a bit too low.

The link below is the result of knife edge with that minimal rudder throw of this plane...

Ouch!
They actually line up ok, so far....
Old May 05, 2007, 08:31 PM
Car Junkie trying to fly
Joined Oct 2005
1,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell0993
the radix knife edges like a DREAM(its a bipe)....way easier than anything that ive flown, hardly any coupling either

boy that thing looks way to fragile, you'd be better off to spend 20 at slofly.com get a nice epp plane, and be able to put it down while your learning...
It does seem fragile.....I'm looking around at other planes as we speak.....I'm just not sure if I care for biplanes....
Old May 06, 2007, 05:02 PM
3D it
grandjunction, CO
Joined Feb 2007
511 Posts
the radix isn't from slofly, and i don't have one, but my friend does and it easily ke's (easier than most it stays in ke with little to no aileron input), anyways all the planes at slofly are monos (i've seen a few people make em bips) and will easily last a hundred times longer than that guy...
kell0993 is offline Find More Posts by kell0993