HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 01, 2007, 08:29 AM
small electrics r BIG FUN
Iowa
Joined Aug 2000
4,320 Posts
Discussion
Hacker A30-8XL and Z30-1100 on 4s-6s Lipos

Last year I started with an A30-8XL in my Logo 10 with 23T and 4s Lipos. I agree it's a great beginners setup for your first Logo. Now, I'd like a little more headspeed/power but nothing wild. I began by exploring possibilities with the Hacker motor. Hacker/Aeromodel suggested against 5s Lipo or a larger pinion. Instead, they recommended the A40 as an upgrade. Last time I checked with them, it was still "due any day".

The Z30-1100 has been well-accepted in these forums and has been recommended by fellow Logo pilots for 5s and 6s Lipos. I ordered one and a 23 T pinion to compare with the Hacker. Just from a few hovering sessions with tach and wattmeter it appears to draw about .6 Amps more than the Hacker but was cooler to the touch. Headspeed is 200rpm faster. I'm not sure how this happens with both motors so similar in Kv (Hacker 1100, Z30 1110) . Before we had access to the tach, my son and I both agreed the rotor speed sounded noticably faster.

So I'm left with a few questions:

1) Why doesn't Hacker recommend higher than 4s for a similar Kv motor ? (maybe because it gets VERY warm from 10 minutes hovering at 80 degrees ambient) Physically, the Z30 is much more motor... about 130% the size of the Hacker. I wished I had the camera along when we swapped motors for a comparison shot.

2) Am I lugging the Z30 with 4s and 23 T pinion ? Average Amp draw hovering was 21.13 vs. 20.45 with Hacker setup.
Al P is offline Find More Posts by Al P
Last edited by Al P; May 01, 2007 at 09:50 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 02, 2007, 07:45 AM
Belfast / Dublin
Joined May 2004
1,554 Posts
the reason the Z motor is cooler is that it's a bigger motor with a bigger Amp capacity - (fatter wires) - so it can handle more power - it too wil get warm when you are putting enough power through it.

Hacker generally rate their motors conservatively - I believe that many are using the 8XL on 5S setups - not sure about 6S - the reason there is an upper limit is that the motors aren't finely balanced and at some point vibration with the potential for damage becomes an issue - Bearing wear is probably the first culprit in this scenario...

Theoretically a very finely dynamically balanced motor should have no upper limit...obviously you will run into other problems - what the esc can compute, and motor efficiency I believe suffers at very high RPM in outrunners due to so called iron losses - but I'm no expert on any of this...
big bird is offline Find More Posts by big bird