HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 30, 2007, 10:41 PM
Seemed like a good idea!
Bolton, Ontario, Canada
Joined Jun 2005
949 Posts
Discussion
RC Police Car with lights / siren.

I built an r/c police car back in 2000, showed it at the local hobby show and had alot of fun driving it. I even got it chased through a parking lot by a real cop car with his lights flashing...he thought it was hilarious...I almost soiled myself when he came close to running it over! I had a thread way back then on HPI's site, just in case anyone remembers it/me from back then.

Since then the car was bashed and bruised and slowly scavenged for parts. I've decided to build a new one, so I dug out the old body and started fashioning a new light bar. It just happens that our provincial police have adopted the new LED light bars, which works out great for me!

So now I'm trying to figure out a bunch of stuff. Namely, which color scheme should I use. In the pictures you can see the cruiser when it was freshly built back in 2000 (along with a black unmarked Impalla). I've since stripped the decals off the right side and made new ones from high reflective white tape. The decals blend completely into the white car until you shine a light on it (like a camera flash). It was just a test to see if I could make a straight white slick-top that looked good.

What are your thoughts on the color scheme??? White with normal decals, white with high reflective decals, or black and white like LAPD?

----------------------------------------------

The original white cruiser had 22 lights in total. 12 on the roof, 4 tail/brake lights, 2 headlight wig-wags, 2 corner strobes and two front parking lights. All the lights (and spotlights) were controlled by the TX through a micro-controller.

The NEW cruiser will have 34 lights on the roof, 4 tail/brake lights, 2 side strobes, 2 corner strobes, 2 headlight wig-wags, 2 parking lights and 4 push bar/grill lights (that's 50 lights!). I might add an additional 16 rear facing amber lights (traffic bar) for a total of 66 lights. It will also have a 4 sound siren system. Again, everything will be controlled by the TX through 1 or 2 micro controllers. I also started (then shelved) a simple "radar" (ultrasonic) unit for tracking the speed of passing r/c cars, but I just don't have the time to work on it right now (maybe I'll get back to it in another 7 years).

----------------------------------------------

Any thoughts, questions or well wishes are welcomed

Cheers,

Sasha
beemer is offline Find More Posts by beemer
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 30, 2007, 10:43 PM
Seemed like a good idea!
Bolton, Ontario, Canada
Joined Jun 2005
949 Posts
Links to video's on YouTube

Front view 2000 model: www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXe2HJd4xik
Rear quarter 2000 model: www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QSHMMf7Ppo
Rear view 2000 model: www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5jmUUrs01Q
Last edited by beemer; Jun 09, 2007 at 06:14 PM.
Old Apr 30, 2007, 10:48 PM
Got H2? Fuel Cell R/C Car
United States, TX, Del Rio
Joined Mar 2004
2,479 Posts
Those are soo cool! Selling kits? lol.
Keith43221 is offline Find More Posts by Keith43221
Old May 01, 2007, 06:25 AM
Joined Apr 2007
1 Posts
so yes i first need to know then how to make an circuit!!...
i do not have any things done yet with an circuit only just leds...

ehmm is it maby a problem i live in the netherlands we do have some big stores that sell leds really over 1.000.000 things with electronics... or do i not need it and need to make things myself?

could u make a vid of that black impala btw its lucks really good
i want too make an unmarked 1/18 grand cherokee btw so ....
flyerholland is offline Find More Posts by flyerholland
Old May 01, 2007, 10:26 AM
Seemed like a good idea!
Bolton, Ontario, Canada
Joined Jun 2005
949 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerholland
is it maby a problem i live in the netherlands.
The components are all very common around the world. If there are certain things you need you can always try and get free samples from manufacturers.

Quote:
could u make a vid of that black impala btw its lucks really good
The black impala in the picture is the same as the one in the video with the new light bar. I just removed all of the original lights (from 2000) and put decals on the door and roof. That body has been bashed and bruised too over the years so they are both just for testing right now.

The black impalla did not use a microcontroller. Everything was run through 6 IC chips and lots of wiring.

I will post a video of the impalla from 2000 (done the same day as the pictures) when I get home tonight.

Sasha
Old May 10, 2007, 03:08 AM
WHAT U LOOKIN AT!
Penrith, NSW, Australia
Joined Dec 2005
2,656 Posts
hey champ, nice work on the lights...id love to get one of those light bars...I have the same model but used LED...I really like ur lights..i want

Here is mine;

RC Drift Cop Car with Working Lights (0 min 45 sec)

jaskel is offline Find More Posts by jaskel
Old May 11, 2007, 11:30 AM
Seemed like a good idea!
Bolton, Ontario, Canada
Joined Jun 2005
949 Posts
Wow...nice work jaskel!

It looks like you have 4 LED's in the light bar. How do you have them arranged, and what are you using to flash them?

I remember when I built mine back in 2000...it was nice and shiny like yours

Once I'm finished with my lighting system I'll post pics and stuff so everyone can do this if they want. I haven't taken any pictures of the electronics yet because it's still a work in progress...and I don't want to waist anyone's time.

Once it's finished there'll be lots of pictures.

Cheers,
Sasha
Old May 11, 2007, 02:32 PM
its hard living in the UK
Joined Oct 2005
239 Posts
you could do that with a 555 timer and a couple of transistors... i can get the basic circuit, its not very complex.
grungerguy is offline Find More Posts by grungerguy
Old May 11, 2007, 05:43 PM
WHAT U LOOKIN AT!
Penrith, NSW, Australia
Joined Dec 2005
2,656 Posts
all i used was a pushbike stop tail light..8 bucks from ebay..works a treat
jaskel is offline Find More Posts by jaskel
Old May 12, 2007, 04:54 PM
Seemed like a good idea!
Bolton, Ontario, Canada
Joined Jun 2005
949 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grungerguy
you could do that with a 555 timer and a couple of transistors... i can get the basic circuit, its not very complex.
True, but the result would be to either flash all the lights on/off together, or flash two lights alternately back and forth. Very easy to do, but limited as well.

http://www.youtube.com/v/VswKR00tdqY
Last edited by beemer; Aug 16, 2007 at 01:03 PM.
Old May 12, 2007, 04:59 PM
Seemed like a good idea!
Bolton, Ontario, Canada
Joined Jun 2005
949 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaskel
all i used was a pushbike stop tail light..8 bucks from ebay..works a treat
Very clever! That's what this hobby is all about...keep it cheap and looking good!

Here's a slightly better video of the new lightbar. The camera is a digital "still" camera that I'm using for video, so the frame rate and quality are pretty poor.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=CokUSYwfsfw
Last edited by beemer; May 12, 2007 at 05:36 PM.
Old May 20, 2007, 10:10 PM
Joined May 2007
4 Posts
ok this is my Murcielago Cop car

Beemer these are my pics from the project that i was mentioning to you. This is my newly painted Pursuit Murcielago Body taken straight from NFSHP2 for PC. The car body is planned to have headlights + Blue Fog lights from http://mivasecure.abac.com/varad2/me...gory_Code=RLPG. Flashing emergency lightbar lights + headlights (red, blue) from http://www.bakatronics.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=576. It will be expensive but, its worth it. Although there is no guides on how to paint a good police car or good lights for it to look good in...or even how to build or look for a decent light bar kit for a R/C police car, its just better to post so if people want to theirs, they make it. Good sites are rare to find..without finding a $200+ lightbar for an actual police car...lol.
LegendX333 is offline Find More Posts by LegendX333
Last edited by LegendX333; May 21, 2007 at 05:39 AM.
Old May 24, 2007, 08:58 PM
Squigee
Chicago, IL
Joined May 2007
1 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemer
Very clever! That's what this hobby is all about...keep it cheap and looking good!

Here's a slightly better video of the new lightbar. The camera is a digital "still" camera that I'm using for video, so the frame rate and quality are pretty poor.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=CokUSYwfsfw
that is so frikkin cool, i plan on making one just like that, just as soon as i learn how to.
PoliceCarCrazy is offline Find More Posts by PoliceCarCrazy
Old May 24, 2007, 11:58 PM
Seemed like a good idea!
Bolton, Ontario, Canada
Joined Jun 2005
949 Posts
LegendX333: excellent job on your paintwork! It's going to looks beautiful when you're done. I can't wait to see it!

Squigee: As soon as I have everything all worked out I'll be posting pics and wiring info.

In the meantime, I've had a few requests on YouTube for pics of the BMW in one of the videos (with the black cruiser).

So here's some info on it:
-HPI Racing BMW Z3 body w/interior kit
-4 point roll bar
-TL01 chassis
-working headlights, front/rear parking lights and full guage lighting.
-hard top is removable.
-body is attached without body posts, no holes drilled through body.
-lowered front & rear suspension (body-to-ground clearance in the pics is the actual driving height)
Last edited by beemer; May 25, 2007 at 12:06 AM.
Old Jun 05, 2007, 10:02 PM
Seemed like a good idea!
Bolton, Ontario, Canada
Joined Jun 2005
949 Posts
I just finished a prototype for a new CLEAR lightbar. This new lightbar still has 16 lights across it, but these are 5mm, round, high intensity lights. This light bar is literally 500 times brighter than the previous one I made with the red square LED's. That light bar put out only 128 mcd (millicandela) at full brightness. This new one puts out a total of 64000 mcd!!!

I changed to this style because I've decided to make a new style OPP (Ontario Provincial Police) cruiser first. The new cruisers have the crystal clear LED lightbars.

I programmed this one for 8 different flash patterns. It also does 3 traffic direction patterns (ie: <<<< or >>>> or <<<< >>>>) but they aren't on the video.

Let me know what you guys think.

Cheers,
Sasha
www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5OOfrU2s-E
Last edited by beemer; Jun 05, 2007 at 10:20 PM.