HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by I.C.O.N., who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 29, 2007, 11:31 PM
Twin Cities, MN
Joined Feb 2006
1,456 Posts
Rave
3D Hobby Shop Extra

I received my 3DHS Extra on Friday night. The build went very quickly and pretty much word for word by the book. I finished in about 8hrs. would have only taken 4hrs if I had not have been playing so much.

The plane came Triple boxed... Which was good since two of the corners had shipping damage. Not one bent corner of the original box was dinged up at all.

I got my maiden flight in today... well actually the first seven flights have been logged. I couldn't charge the batts up fast enough.

My maiden flight went well in about 10MPH winds. She really floats in the wind, I had to coax it in with some birdfeed when it was time to land.

I spent the next 4 flights really dialing in the Expo and throws. I originally set the Expo by the manual. Which I found pretty high on the Expo and a little low on the rates for my taste. I ended up with about -30% Expo on all the surfaces and have all the throws maxed out on high rates and by the book for Mid rates.(suggested high rates)

I am still adjusting to the size of this plane. It is a totally new world from the Typhoon. She reacts a little slower but much more stable. I have had a hard time getting it to hover well. My inputs seem a little late... Just need to get the rythem of the throws down a little more. My last three flights all seemed much better. Once I got the Expo down to where I like it.

A few concerns on this plane are:

1; The landing Gear. They are all CF and have fiberglass wheel pants. Looks GREAT... but not so good for rough gravel roads and pastures where I fly. I ripped my pants. and put a small crack in the LG. But all is well now. I don't think the LG would have cracked if the pants wouldn't have fell in a rut and tipped her up on my second to last landing.

2; Is the elevator. I really don't feel the joiner is quite stiff enough. The side of the elevator opposite the servo flutters a little and is not perfectly straight... even though it was perfect on glass before installing it. She seems to have plenty of elevator authority though. Loops are very true, even at higher speeds. Time will tell how it holds up.

3; May be more my problem then the planes. but I can not get a nice tight flat spin out of it. My last few attempts were better but still night as tight as my Typhoon, I am sure size is mostly to blame there.

I am using the recomended Torque motor and Airboss 45 ESC. With DNpower 3S 2150 20C batts pushing them. There is a lot of extra power. I am flying around on 1/4 throttle most of the time. I am getting about 7-8 min flight time and putting around 1400mah back in. I am on the throttle a bit more then I need to be yet. I actually have put my two DNpower 15C's through the bird as well. I am keeping them down to 6min flights and they seem to be just fine.

She is Great fun though. I have not owned a Balsa plane for three years. I was really nervous starting out. But as I got a few flights into it I was flying like it was a foamie.

I think 3D Hobby Shop did a great job on this plane and think it is a great transition from foamies to a more stable 3D platform.

Have Fun!
Andy
I.C.O.N. is offline Find More Posts by I.C.O.N.
Last edited by I.C.O.N.; Apr 29, 2007 at 11:43 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 06, 2007, 04:25 AM
Team 3DHS
San Antonio, TX
Joined Sep 2004
15,632 Posts
Great report Andy.

As a dad, I think I'm qualified to say that you have a very cute daughter. Mine love to do that pose also in pictures .
BoneDoc is offline Find More Posts by BoneDoc