HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by silentsurfer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 29, 2007, 11:09 PM
tree scavenger
USA, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Sep 2006
585 Posts
Build Log
Parkzone - Harbor Cub Conversion

...since the wind has still been kinda Kickin it over here (for my skills) over the weekend i installed the recently purchased guts (radio/motor system) from a Parkzone J-3 Cub into my Harbor Freight Cub.
Reason: the harbor cub has a Tx in which each stick moves uni-directionally (only). much like the infamous (HF) Yellow Bee radio, in fact except for throttle, exactly.
curious as i was, this isnt a comfortable system, and again, im NO Pilot.
also there were standard 3 wire servos in the HC i could use elsewhere.

I got a fair deal on the PZ J-3 gear (Thanks Frank!) and had to use it in Something!?
yes, i know.... Next time (if airframe survives) i'll probably just go brushless, as i Do have the means....just thought this could be interesting, and again, needed something to do.

this did not end up being the simple 2 hour conversion i had anticipated, however over the course of the weekend it was finally accomplished.

the motor/gearbox is Extremely Noisy! (very annoying)
the hard plastic cowling only seems to add to this fact, reverberating in unison, also the throttle doesnt really engage till almost the 1/2 way notch!?
however it is on the front of the TX (like a Futaba Skysport 3FR, Hitec Neon? etc) as opposed to the akward position on the rear of the HF Tx.

on my wattmeter @ WOT i get,
4.9 amps, 7.7v, 39watts, .033 Ah
...whatever all that means,

stock PZ J-3 gear includes:
370 geared (ratio?), 8" prop (pitch?), (7-cell) 8.4v 600mah Ni-Mh,
(2) 5 wire servos, combination Rx/ESC.

possible benfits:
well, the Tx definitely, also the HF cub was direct drive, now its geared, bigger prop, slower flight.... i dunno, i save 8 grams using the original HF battery.

seems like it should have enough pull to keep it in the air at least.
now, hopefully it wont sit idle for another 6 mnths before i get a chance to maiden her.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...=1287394&stc=1
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...=1287395&stc=1
silentsurfer is offline Find More Posts by silentsurfer
to remove ads between posts